Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to Payment Methods for non-US based freelancers

Ace Contributor
Igor Y Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
101 of 269

@Valeria wrote:

Patrick,

the quality of support Skrill provides and some of their recent decisions have caused a lot of confusion among the customers.

Pretty hilarious, but a lot of people would really say the exactly same about Upwork support and recent decisions. Maybe you should discontinue the team of people behind both of these aspects of Upwork as well?

Arpad L Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
102 of 269

Just a quick idea. I think upwork said they did a thorough examination before they decided to remove skrill and the main reason according to them is the low quality of skrill's service.

It think it would help the situation if we could see how the number of these complaining users compares against the number of upwork users who still like to use skrill. They should have these numbers, if they really made the decision based on that, right? You know, normally you only remove something if nobody wants to use it.

Unless the majority of the freelancers do not want to use skrill anymore, the whole thing looks like upwork is just trying to justify their own decision with the voice of few unlucky skrill users.

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
103 of 269

We did do a thorough examination before making the decision to Arpad. True, some freelancers use Skril today as a payment method on Upwork, but we think the alternatives being provided are better options. Payoneer for example is fast (delivering payment within minutes of transferring it to your Payoneer account), offers 24/7 Customer Support in multiple languages and is low cost (Upwork customers who sign up for a new Payoneer card via Upwork pay lower Payoneer fees.)

We take decisions like these very seriously and wherever possible, including here, will do what we can to benefit the majority of freelancers using Upwork. 

Volodymyr C Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
104 of 269

Upwork simply has removed one payment method for ukrainian freelancers.

I would be glad to see new payments method like "Direct to Local Bank", but I see nothing.

Simply -1 payments method. 

Great improvement Smiley Happy

Mostafa H Member Since: May 3, 2016
105 of 269

I do not really get the point when you say: "but we think the alternatives being provided are better options."!

Who asked you to think for us and decide what is best? and Why do you put yourself in such a position? Do you think we are in a school and you are our teachers? Are we a herd or something and you are our keepers? Are we enslaved to your platform or something?

You should always remember that we - freelancers - have a very special importance to your existence, we are both your clients and your Input for your service. You will not exist if we are not here, and I am pretty sure that if you continue this way, this will happen very soon.

Last thing, it is really disappointing to see that after the "Moderators" failing to moderate the discussion in the face of the rage of many and many freelancers, a "Manager" came in to take things in control but instead said something as offensive as this. Such a shame!

Ace Contributor
Igor Y Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
106 of 269

@Garnor wrote:

We did do a thorough examination before making the decision to Arpad. True, some freelancers use Skril today as a payment method on Upwork, but we think the alternatives being provided are better options. Payoneer for example is fast (delivering payment within minutes of transferring it to your Payoneer account), offers 24/7 Customer Support in multiple languages and is low cost (Upwork customers who sign up for a new Payoneer card via Upwork pay lower Payoneer fees.)

That is simply not true. Payoneer has ATMs fee, while card I used with my bank (I used to send Skrill money there) didn't have any of these, so already cheaper in that regard. Payoneer has maintenance fees while Skrill doesn't. Skrill also delivered money from Upwork to account within a minute. Besides, Payoneer states it as within 2 days for free and within 2 hours for 2.5$ per load. That was free with Skrill. So no, you're incorrect in thinking that alternatives you provide are better. For some countries (like Ukraine), Skrill is the only viable option

107 of 269

Hello,

Although I do understand that you are supposedly trying to do what is "best" for your freelancers, I do not get the point of removing skrill. Instead of removing a payment option that is bad for many people but also preferred for many more, you could - instead - work harder on securing more options or working with your "partner" payment platforms on reducing the fees if you are actually trying to help your freelancers.

You should not decide what is good for us on our behalf, first because we are all adults and we can think for ourselves, and secondly because it differs on a case-by-case basis and by country!

For me now in Egypt, I only have the following options:

1. Paypal - No withdrawal in Egypt

2. Direct to local bank - Not available in Egypt

3. Wiretransfer - $30 per transaction!

4. Payoneer - $2.5 to recieve, $1 to maintain card (OMG!), $2.5 to withdraw, $1 for decline or balance check - That is an average of $5 per transaction plus the many additional fees which is rediculous, and not just this, it only works in EGYPTIAN POUND which is a disaster in itself as our currency is very shaky and we have been relying on recieving our payments in dollars to keep us stable.

So, I do not really know what are we supposed to do! And you are forcing us indeed to move away from upwork and find other freelancing possibilities.

I hope you will be able to find better options before the April deadline or else our funds will technically get stuck on Upwork and it would be pointless for us to work.

Mostafa

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
108 of 269

We understand Mostafa, which is why we've done our best to offer you better alternative payment methods. 

One option is Payoneer, and Upwork customers who sign up for a new Payoneer card via Upwork pay lower Payoneer fees. What's nice about Payoneer is it delivers payment within minutes of withdrawaing to your Payoneer account. It also offers 24/7 Customer Support, and is low cost over time as compared to other payment options. 

You may also check which other options are available to your home country by going to your account settings, and clicking on "Get Paid" > "Add a Payment Method." All options available to your home country will be listed there. 

-Avery
Untitled
109 of 269

Hi Avery,

Thank you for your reply... But I have one questions, have you read my comment? At ALL?!!

I have already stated the payment methods available in my country and stated the problem with Payoneer. So I guess there is not point of repeating the CANNED replies all of you have been posting on this thread. For sure I have checked my options before coming to post here! Again, guys, you have to realize that you are dealing with professional adults not school children! What good outcome would come from your reply?! Do you expect me to say: "Oh wow Avery I am stupid enough to have actually forgotten to check my payment options, I will do it now, thank you"??? Do you expect that?

You are talking about Skrill's bad support? How about yours?

On the constructive side, I suggest that all of you start saying something like "We understand your frustration and we will be working over the coming few weeks to offer you additional payment options to metigate the loss" OR "We will communicate with the management to see what we can do" or anything like that instead of saying "We know what is best for you" and "Check the payment options available for you" ... Because this is outrageous, OUTRAGEOUS!

Thank you

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
110 of 269

Mostafa, 

I mentioned how the options is different per country, and how you can access these options, so that other community members who are reading our replies have an idea how they can check the payment methods available to them. I also never mentioned how Skrill's customer support is bad, and how Upwork's customer support is superior. I had only mentioned that Payoneer's has a 24/7 customer support which is beneficial for those who will be using Payoneer as their payment method. 

I understand where this frustration is coming from, and I apologise if I sounded condescending. Rest assured that we always share these kind of feedback to the team for their consideration. 

-Avery
Untitled