Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to Payment Methods for non-US based freelancers

lenaellis
Lena E Moderator Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
231 of 270

Hi Viacheslav,

There has been a delay in automatically discounting the Payoneer rate for those freelancers who don't have access to the Direct to Local bank withdrawal method. Open a ticket with Customer Support and they can resolve this for you manually.

-Lena

Untitled
ivan_kanyike
Ivan K Member Since: Oct 10, 2015
232 of 270

Wow. Please be less patronizing! The option to eliminate skrill must be a B2B conflict. If it were as you say, that skrill has been screwing freelancers, then the solution is not to get rid of it, but rather to have it as an option for those that wish to continue using it. You can label it as SCREW-Y as you do with other money transfer services. For example a wire transfer costs $30 per transaction, that I know. You could do the same with skrill. Tell freelancers what to expect when they use Skrill, but then leave it as an option.

If your motives are sincere, you should know that Payoneer is not a good option at all, at least for freelancers from my country (Uganda). These guys pay you to screw us out of our hard earned dollars. It will cost me $40 at least on every transaction, including monthly maintenance costs, ATM use, card payment, mastercard transaction fee, payoneer fee, and my bank's processing fee. Their business template is really long term. I see it being cheaper when more people sign up, but for now it isn't. It just SCREWS the little guy. Please label Payoneer as SCREW-Y too. 

Now if Skrill was unscrupulous with you, I agree, dump them. Just don't put it on freelancers. And oh! I have read through all your replies. Please try not to reply to this with a scripted answer. I want to believe that its humans actually doing the replying and not AI. 

Otherwise, thank you for your efforts to provide freelancers with the best services. 

**edited for Community Guidelines**

viktor_symon
Viktor S Member Since: Mar 26, 2017
233 of 270

You removed Skrill , unfortunately for me it may be a disaster , the more withdrawal options the better , retain Skrill please.

Sincerely,
Viktor Symon

aishasaleous
Aisha E Member Since: Mar 27, 2017
234 of 270

Hi,

After review the payment methods, I can just say I feel sad that Skrill is no longer available as a withdrwal method, I using skrill for more than 6 months but not in upwork, after starting my first freelance job in upwork i was excited to make Skrill as a best option for me. 

the other options is exhausting and expensive

- Paypal not available in Lebanon

- Payoneer I create account from few month and the card not arrived yet I make new request for the card  many time (it's not promising) 
- Bank Wire Transif cost 30$ for international transaction 

so the money I worked  hard to gain is goes to pay additional fee,  what I get at the end! I'm not sure..

------
I'm the voice who freezing your little cookie monster Smiley Happy
danielss0
Zeljko A Member Since: Mar 28, 2017
235 of 270

This is really outrageous - just removing a payment method because it is not-really-explainable issue on your side and leaving a huge amount of freelancers in a dead-end is absolutely outrageous to say the least. I can see a lot of people are already complaining and I can only hope that it may make you change your mind.

If you REALLY care about us as freelancers - you should always give us as much options as possible and as I know Skrill (formerly Moneybookers) was there 4-5 years ago when we entered the freelance market and it is really extremely unfair to remove it just suddenly because “product offering and customer support” isn’t meeting the standards because LOTS of people are really depending on it. As someone already mentioned - if it is an issue that Skrill is asking for a higher transaction fee or something in that manner - then you can just make fee a bit higher - but removing it completely is a disaster.

I really hope that there is a chance that this won’t happen in the end as it may just leave us in the dead-end.

Thanks, hope that you will read all the complains and if you would actually ask people around if they are fine with removing Skrill I think you would be shocked with amount that would disagree.

Best Wishes

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
236 of 270

Hi Zeljko,

I'm sorry you're unhappy with our decision to remove Skrill as a withdrawal method on Upwork. Please note that Skrill limited their support for freelancers in a number of countries, including yours, and that's the reason why it was decided not to support it on Upwork. We're always looking into adding additional withdrawal options to benefit our freelancers but don't have any updates on our immediate road map.

Untitled
johnvito
John Vito F Member Since: Sep 26, 2015
237 of 270

Good morning,

I would just ask to all Upwork managers a question: don't you think that $2 Withdrawal Fee is too much? Don't you think a 10%, 20% fee on our hard work is too much? I hope you all understand that i this way we are almost working for nothing. I am so upset that you can't understand.

After these $2, I have to pay €1 to paypal and another €1 to withdraw my money from credit card.

Personally I think you must increase the minimum hourly rate at $4 (at least). Otherwise is has no sense to continue working on this platform.

Thank you very much for the attention.

Have a nice day and good work.

Best Regards

john vito Figorito

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
238 of 270

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. In some countries, we’re not able yet to expand the full suite of payment options to all freelancers. This means the most popular method of Direct to Local Bank transfers isn’t available in all locations. As a result, we think it is fair to charge the same to all freelancers who use e-wallet style payment methods (such as PayPal and Payoneer) and our current Upwork transaction fees reflect that.

Untitled
johnvito
John Vito F Member Since: Sep 26, 2015
239 of 270

Dear Mr Vladimir G,

Thank you for your response. We can talk even for a year: things have to change. 20% fee is too much, $2 withdrawal fee is too much, and then there is the VAT tax plus €1 fee for Paypal plus €1 fee for the post office. I really hope you understand that this means "working for nothing". 

If Upwork decides to increase the fee at 20%, then they must also increase the minimum hourly rate at least at $5. If this will not happen, you will lose many and many freelancers and then a lot alt of money.

It is frustrating still see people that offer $2-$3 dollars........ This is unbelievable. We are not **Edited for Community Guidelines** Mr Vladimir, please report this to the top managers of Upwork.

Thank you very much for your time, have a nice day and good work.

Regards

John Vito Figorito

christopher_rose
Christopher R Member Since: Jan 22, 2009
240 of 270

Why does Upwork consider that it is ok to double the PayPal fees for non-US workers?

As a Top Rated freelancer, it is hard not to see this as 1) **Edited for Community Guidelines**; 2) another indication of how little Upwork cares about its freelancers - you know, the people that do all the work that makes Upwork its vast fortune...

Very annoyed about this anf the sneaky way it was (not) announced.