cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to Payment Methods for non-US based freelancers

Ace Contributor
Ilya S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
41 of 269

Hi Dmitriy, yes it will cause double conversion.

You can't send dollars using local account details (INN, BIK, Acc. No etc). Dollars can be sent via SWIFT international transfer only, which costs 30$.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
42 of 269

Hi Dmitriy,

If you wish to receive your funds in USD, you can use the Wire Transfer payment method. Alternatively, you can set up Direct to Local Bank option in order to get paid in your local currency.

Alexey V Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
43 of 269

Hi,

It seems Russian freelancers who are clients of Sberbank and VTB24 will not be able to use new method because these and some other banks are on the sanctions list. Have just failed to add my VTB24 account.

44 of 269

Hi Alexey,

Please contact the banks you mentioned to check if there are any restrictions that would limit their bank accounts from being used for these payment transfers.

Update: We received a confirmation that in case a bank can't be used to set up a DLB payment method, a freelancer will receive the following error message: "Due to US government regulations this payment method cannot be added error". If you see this message, please add a different bank or opt for using a different withdrawal option.

Alexey V Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
45 of 269

What language should be used when filling account information for Russian bank?

And I agree with Ilya - we need to know more technical details:

What will be the "purpose of payment" of these transfers? I believe it should be in Russian in order the bank can accept it. And some kinds of "purposes of payment" are a subject to a comission in my bank. So I'd like to know it in advance. Thanks.

46 of 269

Hi Alexey,

Please only enter the bank's full name in Russian, as advised in the set up form, and add all the other information in English. Please check my reply to IIya's comment and note that you'll need to communicate with your bank in order to clarify any details regarding their procedures. Also, other experienced freelancer from Russia will hopefully follow up and advise regarding your question.

Roswin H Member Since: Dec 17, 2010
47 of 269

The only payment method I chose is Paypal.

Your "Direct to Local Bank" conversion rate from Dollar to Rupiah is awful. You take too much. That's the last way I've ever wanted to pick.

Boris M Member Since: May 3, 2016
48 of 269

Please don't close Skrill! It was the ONLY viable option to transfer money to Russia!!!! They're taking only 0.4% per $1000+ and don't enforce a USD/RUB exchange, so one can then perform the exchange when one needs it. Since RUB exchange rates are highly volatile this is a super significant asset!! Skrill never once failed me.

Paypal will ROB us with their exchange rates (about 5%) even if the transaction occurs at a very favorable time. And last time I withdrew money through them (about $1000) all the money got lost! They're still "looking for it", b****rds.

And payoneer is even much worse than paypal, not to mention the total lack of support from them.

PLEASE LEAVE SKRILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imran S Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
49 of 269

Hi

I have just received an email from upwork which says that Skrill will no longer work as a withdrawal method from 24th April, 2017. Same email also suggested to use local bank transfer method instead of skrill. I have checked this method before but there was a major difference in currency conversion rates from US to Pak Rupees. I have checked it again and found similar problem. International USD to Pak Rupees conversion rate is 104.78 Rupess/USD whereas upwork rates are 99.9640 PKR/USD. Although the transaction fee seems pretty reasonable but this difference in conversion is pretty huge.

I am puzzled because I had no problem with Skrill but now, I have to switch to a method which will be more expensive.

I would really appreciate if upwork look into it and find a reasonable solution. I would highly appreciate if you keep skrill as a payment option. If you can't then please improve conversion rates so small freelancers like me can benefit from it.

Hope to hear some good news from upwork administration soon.

Thanks

Best Regards

Imran Shaikh

50 of 269

Hi Boris, Santino and Imran,

As Valeria already confirmed, we’ve determined that Skrill’s product offering and customer support to our community do not consistently meet the standards we require of our payment partners.

For example, Skrill’s sudden decision to remove their debit card service from certain countries have left many freelancers without adequate support. You can also check the feedback other freelancers who use Skrill have shared just on this thread alone. Having this in mind, Skrill will be removed as a payment option on Upwork starting April 24, 2017.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS