cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to Payment Methods for non-US based freelancers

Susan B Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
51 of 266

But who are you to decide what is best for each one of us?? Give us the choice and we choose according to what works for us. 

Ridiculous reasons you have given for the removal of Skrill. For sure something else is behind it. But then you decided that the Upwork software is better than the Elance one when you took over so that should explain everything. 

Upwork = Downgrade

Cecilia M Member Since: Feb 17, 2016
52 of 266

All online payment services change their rules seemingly overnight.

Upwork's decision to stop working with Skrill will affect me more than Skrill's decision to stop supporting their debit card in my country.

Santino O Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
53 of 266

Simply awful, everytime I receive an email with important update is never something good for freelancer.

You decided to push on direct bank transfer to earn more playing with exchange rate, that is the only reason I can think of for this change,

You're saying that you want to give more options to freelancer and then you reduce payment methods?

You can do all the change you want but at least call it for what it is, without mocking the freelancers.

Skrill was the more convenient payment method because it gives you a credit card that makes you use the money without having to withdraw and is immediate.

All the other methods take at least 1 or 2 days.

If you really care about freelancer then let's vote on it, if there are more people that would like to retain skrill as payment method you change the rule. Does it seem fair, since you're doing it for the freelancer sake?

Boris M Member Since: May 3, 2016
54 of 266

@Santiano, I don't think there should be a vote. Why would anyone not wanting to use skrill also want to prohibit others from using it? Obviously they are **Edited for Community Guidelines** or else. It is already quite clear even from this short thread that users from former USSR and India and god knows from where will lose a lot of money in transactions after they apply this "update" of theirs. It is conceivable that Upworks finance dept is craving for that to happen.

But dear Upwork administration! Are you there all out of your mind already if I have to spell it to you like if you were children? People are not gonna work for less! Period! This means that:

1) They will charge more for their work

2) Less clients will be willing to invest this amount of money into the job

3) You will be seen as much less competitive a market than before

4) You'll lose a lot of both clients and freelancers

5) And that means much fewer transactions to tax with a fee

6) If you didn't understand it yet, you'll lose more than ever hoped to get

In other words, you're not robbing freelancers, you're robbing yourselves there! Show at least some wits before we all decide we're just too fed up with your "updates" to continue working here.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
55 of 266

Hi Santino,

Please note that Upwork does offer a number of payment options, which include ACH Direct Deposits, Direct to Local Bank, Payoneer, PayPal and Wire Transfers. Please check your Get Paid page in order to review the payment options you can use.

@Santino O wrote:

Skrill was the more convenient payment method because it gives you a credit card that makes you use the money without having to withdraw and is immediate.

All the other methods take at least 1 or 2 days.

Please note that Payoneer also offers the services you outlined above. To a certain extent so does PayPal, but only for users in certain countries.

56 of 266

Let me understand, you have removed skrill because it was not convenient for us and you suggest Payooneer?

Payoneer want 30 dollars per year, plus 3,15 dollars for every payment you make.

Skrill want 0 dollars per year and 0 dollars per transaction, you only pay if you want to withdraw.

How is Payoneer suitabile and skrill not?

57 of 266

Hi Santino,

Let me clarify that I didn't suggest using Payoneer, only confirmed that this payment method had the same characteristics at those you mentioned in your previous post. 

58 of 266

Since they have the same characteristic what is the REAL reasons to exlude skrill?

Let us decide what is best for us.

Ace Contributor
Patrick S Member Since: May 9, 2016
59 of 266

From March 20, 2017 onwards, Paypal withdrawal fees would be $2 per transaction.

First you increase the commission from 10% to 20%, that's double the increase. And now for withdrawing my own money also I have to pay you $2 ? Have you guys gone mad? Do you realize you are killing the freelance job market? Well you will realize it when you have nothing to earn.

I guess it's time to move out of UpWork for me...

Have Fun ** UpWork.

60 of 266

Hi Patrick,

We think it is fair to charge the same to all freelancers who use e-wallet style payment methods (such as PayPal and Payoneer) and our current Upwork transaction fees reflect that idea. If you’d like to explore other ways to receive your payments, you can check the payment method options available to you by clicking on “Add a Payment Method” in the “Get Paid” section of your Upwork account (under “Settings”). Thank you for sharing your feedback and I hope you'll consider continuing to use our platform.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS