Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to Payment Methods for non-US based freelancers

Ace Contributor
Patrick S Member Since: May 9, 2016
61 of 266

Hello Vladimir, Thanks for that info.

"We think it is fair to charge the same to all freelancers"

How come you didn't think of this all these 10 years? All these 10 years the paypal fees was $1. So you were being "unfair" to freelancers you admit?

And also tell me how is it "fair" to charge someone to use their own money which they have earned, that too after paying the commission to you?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
62 of 266

Hi Patrick,

I understand your concern around this change. Note that in some countries we’re not able yet to expand the full suite of payment options to all freelancers. This means the most popular method of Direct to Local Bank transfers isn’t available in all locations. As a result, we think it is fair to charge the same to all freelancers who use e-wallet style payment methods (such as PayPal and Payoneer) and our current Upwork transaction fees reflect that. Upwork is offering a full suite of options for your withdrawals, including those at lower costs. Please check your Get Paid page as all of your options will be listed there.

Ace Contributor
63 of 266

Vladimir, Did you realize that you just copy/pasted the same thing that you sent me in the previous message. Huh.

I asked you "Why not this change since 10 years". Why  today? 10 years you were charging us $1 per withdrawal. What supernatural force is going to happen in March 2017 that we have to dish you out $2 from our pocket to use the money that we have earned ?

And how is it "fair". And since you say it's "fair", were you "unfair" to us all these 10 years?

Nauman S Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
64 of 266

Hi Upwork,

Todays Pak Rupees conversion rate is 104.78 Rupess/USD whereas upwork rates are 99.9640 PKR/USD. Although the transaction fee ($0.99) seems pretty reasonable but this difference in conversion is pretty huge.

Why Upwork giving much low rates, I already paid 20%, 10% upwork fees to my earning then againg you robbing.

Waitign for you helpful reply

Ace Contributor
65 of 266

Am sure they will not reply to you. But yeah sad that UpWork is adversiting it as "$0.99 fees" but not saying that the conversion rate will be different than the usual conversion rate. This reminds me of scammers.

Ace Contributor
66 of 266

One of my friend also did a bank withdrawal last week. Checked with him about the rate.

He withdrew $99, which should be THB 3465.99 according to the current conversion rate.

He actually got THB 3320, which is equal to $94. So he was charged $0.99 for withdrawing + $5 (quietly charged).

How does UpWork justify this?

Are you a BANK? NO.

Who gave UpWork the right to play with conversion rates. This is getting legal now. You are not a bank to decide the conversion rate that you are going to pay to us.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
67 of 266

Patrick,

The currency conversion is performed by Upwork’s bank at the time the funds are sent to you. We display the  last exchange rate used by Upwork's bank before you make your selection as pictured here:

get paid now.png

Untitled
Nauman S Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
68 of 266

@Lena, I can see that 
My question was why there is much difference as international PKR/USD rate is 104.78 and Upwork rate is 99.964.

This converstion rate difference cost freelancer as expensive mean of transaction.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
69 of 266

Hi Lena,

Does Upwork take a commission from their bank for foreign exchange conversion?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
70 of 266

Hi Nauman,

I suspect you're referencing the wholesale rate, which isn't applicable to individual transactions?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS