🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Updates to Showing Active Earners in Search R...
Page options

Updates to Showing Active Earners in Search Results

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

As we originally announced, profiles of freelancers who don’t earn on Upwork for a period of time are set to private. Freelancers can keep their profile public regardless of their earnings by subscribing to Freelancer Plus Membership and also have access to free options to turn their profile status back to public.

A few things have changed since this program was introduced almost two years ago, more importantly we have expanded our ID verification programs. We have also collected a lot of valuable feedback here in the Community and from other channels. As a result, we’ve made some adjustments to the program by increasing the period of time freelancers can go without earning before their profiles are set to private. 

Profiles of freelancers with a history of earnings on the platform will remain public unless they have not earned in more than 2 years. This will benefit freelancers who are active but may work on contracts with milestones that take several months or longer to complete. Profiles of new freelancers who haven’t earned on Upwork will be set to private after 90 days.

Freelancers will still be able to subscribe to a Freelancer Plus Membership if they don’t want their profile to be set to private if they don’t earn. Freelancers will also be able to request Upwork Customer Support to reset their profile visibility for free, as they have in the past.

15 Comments
wendy_writes
Community Member

Preston, while I understand you are trying to be helpful by copy/pasting the exact wording, this is not what the gist of the conversation is about.

Staying on subject might facilitate a response from U ....

lucioric
Community Member

Milestones that take some months... if they are for a little money, or one has underestimated the amount of work and its monetary value, or one has problems in speed of delivery or in delivering the things well and instead of getting paid the job keeps getting returned. several-month milestones are not generally a good ides; in fact if you have a contract that lasts about 2 months without any earning, your JSS will lower (it has happened to me). About good recomandable several-months milestones, i don't know, it can be a USD 10,000 8-months milestone for a complete software project, or a USD 500 8-months milestone for occasional Python consulting, anlthough in this case it could be an hourly contract with several 20-minutes segments accross the 8 months.

Best regards.

elastella
Community Member

I agree with what others have said.

While 30 days was too short a period, 2 years is way over the top.

3-6 months seem sufficient.

rajudeuri
Community Member

I am happy to share that I had opened an account with Upwork five years back. I was even connected by Upwork to some clients. But as I could not see the message box, where the clients talk about their projects, deadline, etc., due to lack of a multi-facility mobile phone, I had failed to reply to the clients on time. I had to lose job offers from three clients. But recently I again tried to become an active freelancer on the Upwork platform. To my surprise, I got work on translation. It was to translate sub-titles/make captions of 3 videos. I started working. As it was the initial work, I could meet the deadline for one video and only half work of the second video was competed. I was worried. I expressed my issues in the message box. Finally, the translations of two video sub-titles were accepted. The payment process has been started. The client has assured one contract per fortnight. How can I expect more works for other clients?                        **Edited for Community Guidelines**

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Wendy and others,

I'm sorry we didn't address your questions and concerns earlier. We do appreciate feedback you all have shared about this change here. We understand this is a significant change. However, we’ve learned that many high-quality freelancers work in niche fields where they might not be active on Upwork yet still in demand by clients seeking those rarer skills.

We also were concerned that new freelancers were being removed from search results before they had a chance to establish themselves on Upwork. By re-adding these groups of freelancers in search results regardless of recent earnings, we hope to improve invite acceptance rates and help clients find the right freelancer for their project.