Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to Showing Active Earners in Search Results

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
11 of 16

Valeria K wrote:

As we originally announced here, profiles of freelancers who don’t earn on Upwork for a period of time are set to private. Freelancers can keep their profile public regardless of their earnings by subscribing to Freelancer Plus Membership and also have access to free options to turn their profile status back to public.

A few things have changed since this program was introduced almost two years ago, more importantly we have expanded our ID verification programs. We have also collected a lot of valuable feedback here in the Community and from other channels. As a result, we’ve made some adjustments to the program by increasing the period of time freelancers can go without earning before their profiles are set to private. 

Profiles of freelancers with a history of earnings on the platform will remain public unless they have not earned in more than 2 years. This will benefit freelancers who are active but may work on contracts with milestones that take several months or longer to complete. Profiles of new freelancers who haven’t earned on Upwork will be set to private after 90 days.

Freelancers will still be able to subscribe to a Freelancer Plus Membership if they don’t want their profile to be set to private if they don’t earn. Freelancers will also be able to request Upwork Customer Support to reset their profile visibility for free, as they have in the past.

Wouldn't 3 months be enough, since escrow can only hold funds for that period? So you can't actually work on a milestone for longer than that, or has that changed as well? If it hasn't it means you are not actively earning unless you submit work for a milestone at least every 3rd month. 2 years is overdoing it in my opinion. Why not rather let the freelancers who are using Upwork be the only ones being visible on Upwork? Or at least put the ones that aren't earning in the bottom of the search results if you must have them there at all. 

Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
12 of 16

+1

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 16

Specific language about "dormant engagements" (escrow payments that have been made 3 months ago and now must be sent back to the client because they're so old) can be found here:

https://www.upwork.com/legal#fp

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 12.22.48 PM.png

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
14 of 16

Preston, while I understand you are trying to be helpful by copy/pasting the exact wording, this is not what the gist of the conversation is about.

Staying on subject might facilitate a response from U ....

Highlighted
Community Leader
Alexander B Member Since: Mar 30, 2017
15 of 16

This is either a bad idea by Upwork or their idea to fudge the  "total amount" of freelances active on the platform.

Client invites are going to be wasted, leading to less income for hard working freelancers and more time wasted for clients.

Let's say I am one of those freelancers with nothing earned in over a year, but it hasn't been 2 years yet...

Why would I even care about an invitation from Upwork? Obviously I've been doing just fine without them and clearly I haven't had success there in the past, so why would I go back and pay their 20% fee? (Also, someone who hasn't earned anything in over 6 months probably won't quickly respond to an invitation from Upwork.) 

Lastly: Upwork is hurting the "good" freelancers to satisfy the ones who don't even earn them any money? What the heck?! 

Highlighted
Raju D Member Since: Mar 17, 2020
16 of 16

I am happy to share that I had opened an account with Upwork five years back. I was even connected by Upwork to some clients. But as I could not see the message box, where the clients talk about their projects, deadline, etc., due to lack of a multi-facility mobile phone, I had failed to reply to the clients on time. I had to lose job offers from three clients. But recently I again tried to become an active freelancer on the Upwork platform. To my surprise, I got work on translation. It was to translate sub-titles/make captions of 3 videos. I started working. As it was the initial work, I could meet the deadline for one video and only half work of the second video was competed. I was worried. I expressed my issues in the message box. Finally, the translations of two video sub-titles were accepted. The payment process has been started. The client has assured one contract per fortnight. How can I expect more works for other clients?                        **Edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS