Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Updates to Upwork Messages

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
11 of 41

Before introducing any new changes, can you please first ensure that more important issues -- like this one: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Can-t-download-files-in-Chrome/m-p/765927#M466990 (supposedly fixed now) -- don't happen again?

Extremely important in light of new ToS rules that will soon go into effect.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
12 of 41

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Before introducing any new changes, can you please first ensure that more important issues -- like this one: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Can-t-download-files-in-Chrome/m-p/765927#M466990 (supposedly fixed now) -- don't happen again?

You are sending an executable or an archive with executables or something like this. Had the same issue and support told me it's a wontfix.

Highlighted
Community Guru
13 of 41

Aleksandr S wrote:

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

You are sending an executable or an archive with executables or something like this. Had the same issue and support told me it's a wontfix.

Sorry, I don't understand what that means. All I know is that both my client and I were neither able to download new files nor able to download files that previously we'd been able to access. And many others were experiencing the same.  

So obviously we used email, but I'd like to see how that will work with potential clients when yet another Messages issue comes up once the new ToS goes into effect ... because we all know that some problem or the other will inevitably arise.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
14 of 41

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Aleksandr S wrote:

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand what that means. All I know is that both my client and I were neither able to download new files nor able to download files that previously we'd been able to access. And many others were experiencing the same.  

So obviously we used email, but I'd like to see how that will work with potential clients when yet another Messages issue comes up once the new ToS goes into effect ... because we all know that some problem or the other will inevitably arise.

The image you linked to in your post above is from Chrome (you can Google the error which will describe what Chrome is doing here). I had the same issue with Chrome which unfortunately doesn't have a setting on an extension level. As a result you would have to turn off a large swath of protection for just one file. I jumped over to the Edge browser and logged into UW and was able to get to the file (it was in Word format).  

Highlighted
Community Guru
15 of 41

Scott B wrote:

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Aleksandr S wrote:

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

The image you linked to in your post above is from Chrome (you can Google the error which will describe what Chrome is doing here). I had the same issue with Chrome which unfortunately doesn't have a setting on an extension level. As a result you would have to turn off a large swath of protection for just one file. I jumped over to the Edge browser and logged into UW and was able to get to the file (it was in Word format).  

Thanks for clarifying! I know the problem was related to downloading files in Chrome, but the client and I only had that issue when trying to exchange (single Word) files through Upwork. Email, etc. worked. There is no way I'd ever use the (crappy) Edge browser or download Firefox just to be able to send files like any normal internet user.

Also, I guess Upwork has no control over Chrome's whims, but this is exactly why they shouldn't just impose communication-related restrictions on their users ... they are unable to immediately solve these extremely inconvenient "whims."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
16 of 41

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Aleksandr S wrote:

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Oh, sorry for confusion. My issue was different.

Community Leader
Alexander B Member Since: Mar 30, 2017
17 of 41

These updates should be implemented before the ToS is changed. And by implemented, I mean launched and successfully tested and patched to the point where the new implementations work for 90%+ of users. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
18 of 41

Having a dial-in is extremely important and should be tested and made available BEFORE the ToS goes into effect. I have tried to use the audio calling feature twice now in the last several weeks and both failed as one side could not hear the other. Switching to other services like Zoom or Skype were met with immediate success so it's the system here and not the browser to blame. Customer Service was also unable to provide a reason or fix for this issue. The difference here of course is the total inability to move to a back-up system (i.e Zoom, Skype, etc.) without violating ToS so that means UW has to work 100% of the time. Impossible but that is what's being forced. So having the phone option could be a nice backup to what we know will otherwise be an inferior system to handle calls. So, great add but we need it before being forced to use a less than stable system with no backup. 

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
19 of 41

Hey Scott, 

Are you still experiencing issues with hearing audio on a call? I'll look up your ticket, but its possible this could be a permissions issue with your mic and camera settings and I can help walk you through that. We will be posting education with troubleshooting steps to help resolve these one-off issues. 

-Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 41

Lena E wrote:

Hey Scott, 

Are you still experiencing issues with hearing audio on a call? I'll look up your ticket, but its possible this could be a permissions issue with your mic and camera settings and I can help walk you through that. We will be posting education with troubleshooting steps to help resolve these one-off issues. 

-Lena

Hi Lena. As the ticket describes we were not trying to use a camera. The other person could hear me but I could not hear them despite the fact that the audio meters were showing for both (indicating that audio was being received and was not a permission issue). As a result there is no mic/camera permission that needs to be looked at. I could also tap the sound icon and hear the sound playing so the speaker side of things was fine. Customer Service has no provision in place to test these setups which is also something lacking here. With services like Skype you can test these things but here you have to use the client as the test subject. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS