Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Updates to the Diversity-Certified Badge

vladag
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
11 of 88

Jyothi D wrote:

Thank you for your comment. I have personally come across so many job postings that specifically state "No Indians or Pakistanis" or "No Asians", which is so discriminatory. I understand that some clients want writers based in a certain country for reasons like ease of payment or tax concerns, but I don't think that sort of thing should extend to the outright exclusion of talented providers. I have found my footing here on Upwork over the years and I have made some great relationships with some wonderful clients, but it is so dispiriting to come on here and see discriminatory wording within job postings. For someone like me, a diversity badge is a welcome addition. It will allow me to connect with clients who will appreciate my talent, regardless of the color of my skin. Thank you Upwork!

Hi Jyothi,

Thank you for sharing your experience, feedback and concern in the Community. I'd like to follow up and confirm that we do have a dedicated team that screens job posts to look for a variety of issues that are against our Terms of Service and we do not permit job posts that we consider to be unlawfully discriminatory or hateful.

As you mentioned, we understand that clients may prefer freelancers from a certain region or with knowledge of certain cultures and in those cases we ask that they use location settings on their job post to describe any specific needs. However, clients may not specifically exclude or limit posts to certain groups based on nationality, race, ethnicity, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, veteran status, marital status, or other similarly protected characteristics. If you come across a job posting like this please do flag it as inappropriate by clicking on the "Flag as Inappropriate" link. This Help article has more details on how to report job posts and clients. Thank you.

lkinoshita
Laura Member Since: Jan 28, 2021
12 of 88

Upwork Terms of Service disallow any unlawful discrimination. Such conduct is not permitted on Upwork by any member. Upwork will take actions to enforce this. Flag & Report those posts and notify**Edited for community guidelines**. Upwork’s mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Key to that mission is that job opportunities be equally available to all qualified talent, regardless of background, nationality, race, ethnicity, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, actual or perceived disability status, veteran status, marital status, or other protected characteristics. 

john-rose
John R Member Since: Feb 18, 2021
13 of 88

I guess "Starving Artist" is no longer good enough/acceptable.
God i cant stand this kind of backwards/kill other people's business approaches that

do backfire on someone.

No one ever asked what i looked like or what planet i came from or

what kind of hormones flow thru me and 

I never asked them.

I guess the next draconian "badge" is if you aren't "inspired" to do someones project 

then you'll be terminated. Give it till the end of the year.

be1b0070
Angel V Member Since: Feb 18, 2021
14 of 88
For those who feel "excluded" because you don't, for lack of a better word, "qualify" for this badge, let's clarify something here:

Whatever work you're completing on the platform, whatever niche you have, and whatever relationships you've developed won't be jeopardized.

The badge is a signal to business either comprised of or targeting these groups that the freelancer is capable of connecting with the business/brand/consumers or what have you.

In this age, created by all of us, especially those of us here working remotely, "authentic voice" can make or break a business.

Minorities, women, and immigrants have been historically disadvantaged. Its a VERY recent development that these communities are able to be this forthcoming. To say it doesn't matter is to ignore that for decades it DID matter to the negative extreme. (In many circles it still does).

There is NO shortage of people hiring NON women, NON immigrants, and NON minorities.
As many of you aptly stated, many don't care either way. Some projects are just projects, and NOT having a diversity badge won't make or break your prospects.

I repeat, for those few businesses looking to ensure equal opportunity with PURPOSE when hiring, the badge is a signal.

When you have proof that your prospects are dropping like flies, that no one is hiring white male writers, that white male writers are being actively shunned and attacked, THEN you can make a statement. If not, this badge doesn't concern you, so don't stress about it.
bradley-hodges
Brad H Member Since: Apr 8, 2017
15 of 88

Again, the question is what qualifies as a member of said "groups." Please read my earlier comments. As Jean-Paul Sartre said, "I hate people who call themselves existentialists."

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
16 of 88

John R wrote:

...I guess the next draconian "badge" is if you aren't "inspired" to do someones project 

then you'll be terminated. Give it till the end of the year.

Not really seeing what's "draconian" about an opt-in program that some of us may find advantageous. Upwork doesn't really care if it's advantageous for us or not. This program is aimed at meeting the needs of clients.

haday
Holly A Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
17 of 88

It seems that UW is trying to capture two areas with a single badge which IMO is highly erroneous.  To my understanding, Diversity-Certified would indicate that an individual or agency has participated in and passed a course in Diversity recognition to reduce/eliminate/remove incorrectly applied criteria in hiring/promotion/conduct etc when interacting with diverse areas of society.

The other side of this argument deals with identifying those freelancers among us who in some way do NOT identify as white anglo saxon male US citizens.  I think it's important for contractors to be selected based on project focused skills, abilities, success rates, and cost to hire rather than their various 'orientations' to gender, age, religion, nationality, minority, or military service.  All else being equal,.language is the only additional consideration as client and contractor must be able to understand each other through the process.  Therefore, I would have no interest in 'applying' for the Diversity Certification as currently described as it is outlined far too broadly and in some areas reveals information that US employers aren't allowed to request and that employees are not required to divulge on an application for employment.  This whole thing really needs to be 'rethought' before it is implemented.

researchediting
Community Guru
18 of 88

Holly A wrote:

I think it's important for contractors to be selected based on project focused skills, abilities, success rates, and cost to hire rather than their various 'orientations' to gender, age, religion, nationality, minority, or military service. 
What a peculiar bifurcation, coupled with a peculiar use of "orientation."
...I would have no interest in 'applying' for the Diversity Certification as currently described as it is outlined far too broadly and in some areas reveals information that US employers aren't allowed to request and that employees are not required to divulge on an application for employment....

So don't.

bradley-hodges
Brad H Member Since: Apr 8, 2017
19 of 88
"Therefore, I would have no interest in 'applying' for the Diversity Certification as currently described as it is outlined far too broadly and in some areas reveals information that US employers aren't allowed to request and that employees are not required to divulge on an application for employment." You make a very valid point, Holly. This badge would seem to conflict with U.S. government job announcement and hiring practices that don't allow this type of specific personal information in order to prevent discrimination... After just now discovering Upwork's forums after three years on the platform, I'm opting out of all further communication here because I've been bombarded with emails and replies. I'd much rather get back to my happy, returning clients who don't seem to care one way or another what my race, sexual orientation, and other personal information are.
researchediting
Community Guru
20 of 88

Brad H wrote:
"Therefore, I would have no interest in 'applying' for the Diversity Certification as currently described as it is outlined far too broadly and in some areas reveals information that US employers aren't allowed to request and that employees are not required to divulge on an application for employment." You make a very valid point, Holly. This badge would seem to conflict with U.S. government job announcement and hiring practices that don't allow this type of specific personal information in order to prevent discrimination... After just now discovering Upwork's forums after three years on the platform, I'm opting out of all further communication here because I've been bombarded with emails and replies. I'd much rather get back to my happy, returning clients who don't seem to care one way or another what my race, sexual orientation, and other personal information are.

It's not a valid point at all.
These badges are in response to mandates from the federal government to promote federal hiring and contracting diversity, which have been emulated in practice by local governments and private industry.
[edited for clarity:] Neither Upwork nor our clients are our employers. Employment law does not have the relevance you attribute to it.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS