🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Updates to the Diversity-Certified Badge
Page options

Updates to the Diversity-Certified Badge

biancabartel
Community Member

Have you heard about the new Diversity-Certified Badge? We announced them here in October. These badges empower our independent businesses who are Minority-owned (including Black-owned), Woman-owned, U.S. veteran-owned, Disability-owned, and LGBTQ+-owned to leverage their external certifications and help them win more of the work they love. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.54.26 PM.png

Supplier diversity is important to many businesses that value a diversity of perspectives and points of view. We are deeply committed to creating an inclusive future of economic opportunity on our platform. While we don’t ask our talent community for demographic information today, we have clients with diversity and inclusion initiatives that want to support underrepresented groups and actively seek out diverse talent to fill these goals through Upwork. These badges are a way for talent to show off their certifications and connect with clients. 

We’re hosting a webinar on March 25th at 11am PST to share more details about diversity certification and the process behind it. We are also releasing other educational content around diversity certification over the coming months, so let us know if there are specific topics you would like us to cover.

We encourage our talent in the US who have certifications to add it to their profile. You can do so by clicking the + icon in the “Diversity certification” section of your profile. First, we ask you to provide your business name, Diversity category. Then you’ll provide information on the certification provider, type, certification number, and expiration date. Once all the details are entered and saved, the information will go into manual review for Upwork to validate your certification. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.54.37 PM.png

Please note: There is a different section of the profile for entering skill-based certifications like AWS, Google AdWords, etc. This has been a point of confusion, so we wanted to clarify these separate areas. 

image (3).png

image (4).png

image (2).png

By adding your diversity certification information and details, you will receive a badge displayed on your profile visible to Enterprise Suite clients in search both through a “Diversity-Certified” filter and on the search result tiles.

Upwork is currently working with certifying bodies in the United States. We plan to expand to Canada in the coming months. We are starting with the U.S. because the guidelines for diversity certifications are clearly defined for U.S. businesses and we are more familiar with them. 

Here’s a brief history lesson on how diversity certifications began: Supplier Diversity started in the U.S. in the 1960s as part of the American Civil Rights legislation when President John F. Kennedy amended a federal order to take affirmative action into consideration for federal contracting. As this movement continued to grow through the decades and expand into private corporate supplier diversity programs, other countries started to take notice.  Canada pushed their Employment Equity Act in 1986, and the UK implemented a similar statute in 2000 for local governments.

We recognize there are other international certifications, and diversity can be defined differently in every country. That said, we're actively pursuing outreach with third-party organizations to broaden our geographic reach. If you know of a certifying agency in your country, please share it with us so we can look into them.

For additional information, check out our Help center article. 

89 Comments
researchediting
Community Member

Gavin B wrote:

Replying to Douglas: I do agree with Alec, however that does not make me myself a homophobe. I have a number of friends who are LGB. What individuals choose for their personal dealings is fine with me. The big issue I see with the badge system is the unfortunate/unintentional hypocrisy in implementing it. You can't elevate one demographic over the other without creating a difference between the two. Are we not all striving for equality? The true meaning of " = " ?. For me I think the only way you could create an atmosphere of equality here on upwork and elsewhere as well, is by not putting these systems in place that try to force the issue only to relocate the problem from one corner to another.
In my honest and sincere opinion and suggestion to imrpove the problem on Upwork, if there has been issues with inequality, is that I think there should maybe just be some kind of option to report unfairness of any kind, and leave it at that. Leaving everyone to use their own agency and discernment, and then have option to report any inequality that would be looked into and corrected or disciplined as necessary for the situation. Just thinking out loud.

Not sure why you need to assert your bona fides, which no one has questioned. Several people have mentioned the possibility that racists, homophobes, bigots of whatever stripe will avoid those with badges. Speaking strictly for myself, I repeat: Good riddance.

Many people seem confused about the purpose of this badge. It is not about freelancers. It is not about justice, or fairness, or equality, or equity. It is about meeting client needs. If people have a bone to pick about either the intent or the effect of diversity goals and setasides, that train has left the station. Upwork is responding to the fact of the existence of such goals and setasides, and doing what it has to do in order to one of these fine years become profitable: Meet client demand.

researchediting
Community Member

Tiffany S wrote:

This is just weird as applied to freelancer accounts. We're individuals. Our names and photographs are on our profiles. 

That's a pretty, you should pardon the expression, black-and-white way of looking at how to signal eligibility for client diversity goals and setasides.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Many people seem confused about the purpose of this badge. It is not about freelancers. It is not about justice, or fairness, or equality, or equity. It is about meeting client needs. If people have a bone to pick about either the intent or the effect of diversity goals and setasides, that train has left the station. Upwork is responding to the fact of the existence of such goals and setasides, and doing what it has to do in order to one of these fine years become profitable: Meet client demand.

I can't imagine how this could be articulated more plainly. Thanks, Douglas Michael!

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

If you use the quote function then everyone can see whose comment you are responding to and your own will make more sense. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

247serveradmin
Community Member

In society we all speak of the desire for equality, however now we are seeing people being forced out of work or not given oppertunities because of the color of their skin or because of the gender they were born with.  While I support any movement that supports equality and UPLIFTING any demographic, I cannot support a movmement that simply pulls from another.  To be truly equal is bring everyone to a level playing field, you shouldnt eliminate someones chance to work because of the color of their skin or their sex.  I understand that this program by upwork is to help people who want to hire a more diverse work force but taking from others to promote another is never the answer.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I leave with this last thought, whatever ever happend to providing the best product or service and letting that track record speak for itself.  

ea30da92
Community Member
I am a woman.
I am also an African-American (black) woman.
I am also an African-American (black) woman who is a disabled Veteran.

I am also a verified Upwork freelancer who had to do a video chat so that I could get the Verified badge that indicates that my picture on my Upwork profile matches the face the verifier saw when he/she/they looked at me in the video chat.

Allow freelancers to include in their bios (or the already-existent Certifications section) whatever diversity certifications they have if that's something that is important to them, and do away with this idea of a diversity badge.

I do not mention I am a woman and/or that I am black, because you can look at my picture and surmise one and/or both of those things from the image. You can also surmise that the picture is a true representation of me, because I have a Verified badge next to my name. My bio mentions that I spent time in the U.S. Army, which pegs me as a veteran, because that's where I first learned my web work skills.

I make a very good living from Upwork.

It is possible that some clients have decided not to work with me because I am a woman and/or because I am black and/or even because I am a veteran.

I also know for sure that some clients decided to work with me because I am a woman and/or because I am black and/or because I am a veteran. Some of them have explicitly told me so.

Over arching all that, though, is that I got 100% of the jobs I got because I've been doing what I've been doing for over 20 years, and I showed proof from previous work that I could get the job done.

I have absolutely, unequivocally ZERO sleepless nights thinking about whether someone didn't pick me because of my gender or skin color or eye color or geographical location or anything else!

I get plenty of Connects each month to submit as many proposals as I can until I fit with clients who I can work for and who want to work with me.

Bottom line...

An Upwork avatar and a Verified badge are worth 1,000 words.

An Upwork bio can be up to 5,000 characters.

Again, there is already a section to add Certifications. If this doesn't allow for ALL types of certifications, then make it so it does.

If you cannot make yourself and what you have to offer known with those three things, then you're doing something wrong that a diversity badge will not fix.
mjhedges1
Community Member

The badges are based on the same standards used by the Fed for awarding contracts. It's not anti-white, anti-male, anti-straight, or anti-Christian movement. Just something to level the playing field and reduce marginalization until we really don't need to refer to demographics anymore.... See you in 200+ years, America. Because by then, we won't be having these melodramatic displays of "I'm not diverse enough" backlashes. Hey, if you're white, male, or whatever, take no offense unless you don't respect pluralism in capitalism or general American society. If that’s the case--that's your problem. But if you are white/Caucasian, male, or Christian and openminded, I believe you'll see the badges as tools for diverse client groups to find providers quicker based on demographic and potentially the provider's perspective. I’m black/African American, but if I need a female, white, or gay perspective, I potentially would hire someone from those demographic insights for creative and practical authenticity.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

John P wrote:

Minority-owned (including Black-owned), Woman-owned, U.S. veteran-owned, Disability-owned, and LGBTQ+-owned

Why not keep it simple and just say, **Edited for Community Guidelines**?

I refuse to work for any employer who values me only because of my gender or the color of my skin. Only racists care about the skin color of their employees.

How do you know that any of your clients did not choose you over another, equally qualified FL because of gender or skin color? 

jrdondero
Community Member

Thank you for your comment. I have personally come across so many job postings that specifically state "No Indians or Pakistanis" or "No Asians", which is so discriminatory. I understand that some clients want writers based in a certain country for reasons like ease of payment or tax concerns, but I don't think that sort of thing should extend to the outright exclusion of talented providers. I have found my footing here on Upwork over the years and I have made some great relationships with some wonderful clients, but it is so dispiriting to come on here and see discriminatory wording within job postings. For someone like me, a diversity badge is a welcome addition. It will allow me to connect with clients who will appreciate my talent, regardless of the color of my skin. Thank you Upwork!

jrdondero
Community Member
Hi John,

I get what you're saying in the sense that you feel that this might be a
form of discrimination against you. But please understand, this is not
about a potential client giving me a chance JUST BECAUSE of my skin color,
but rather REGARDLESS of my skin color. (I put those bits in caps not to
yell but to emphasize - sorry, can't italicize here for some reason). That
is a significant and powerful distinction and one that has real and
far-reaching implications for minority service providers. This is not meant
in any way to put non-minority workers at a disadvantage, but rather to put
minority workers on a more equal playing field. I am sorry you cannot see
that, but I do wish you the very best in your career as I do all my fellow
freelancers here on Upwork. We are all in this together!

Best regards,
Jyothi Dondero
#- Please type your reply above this line -##