🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Updates to the Diversity-Certified Badge
Page options

Updates to the Diversity-Certified Badge

biancabartel
Community Member

Have you heard about the new Diversity-Certified Badge? We announced them here in October. These badges empower our independent businesses who are Minority-owned (including Black-owned), Woman-owned, U.S. veteran-owned, Disability-owned, and LGBTQ+-owned to leverage their external certifications and help them win more of the work they love. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.54.26 PM.png

Supplier diversity is important to many businesses that value a diversity of perspectives and points of view. We are deeply committed to creating an inclusive future of economic opportunity on our platform. While we don’t ask our talent community for demographic information today, we have clients with diversity and inclusion initiatives that want to support underrepresented groups and actively seek out diverse talent to fill these goals through Upwork. These badges are a way for talent to show off their certifications and connect with clients. 

We’re hosting a webinar on March 25th at 11am PST to share more details about diversity certification and the process behind it. We are also releasing other educational content around diversity certification over the coming months, so let us know if there are specific topics you would like us to cover.

We encourage our talent in the US who have certifications to add it to their profile. You can do so by clicking the + icon in the “Diversity certification” section of your profile. First, we ask you to provide your business name, Diversity category. Then you’ll provide information on the certification provider, type, certification number, and expiration date. Once all the details are entered and saved, the information will go into manual review for Upwork to validate your certification. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.54.37 PM.png

Please note: There is a different section of the profile for entering skill-based certifications like AWS, Google AdWords, etc. This has been a point of confusion, so we wanted to clarify these separate areas. 

image (3).png

image (4).png

image (2).png

By adding your diversity certification information and details, you will receive a badge displayed on your profile visible to Enterprise Suite clients in search both through a “Diversity-Certified” filter and on the search result tiles.

Upwork is currently working with certifying bodies in the United States. We plan to expand to Canada in the coming months. We are starting with the U.S. because the guidelines for diversity certifications are clearly defined for U.S. businesses and we are more familiar with them. 

Here’s a brief history lesson on how diversity certifications began: Supplier Diversity started in the U.S. in the 1960s as part of the American Civil Rights legislation when President John F. Kennedy amended a federal order to take affirmative action into consideration for federal contracting. As this movement continued to grow through the decades and expand into private corporate supplier diversity programs, other countries started to take notice.  Canada pushed their Employment Equity Act in 1986, and the UK implemented a similar statute in 2000 for local governments.

We recognize there are other international certifications, and diversity can be defined differently in every country. That said, we're actively pursuing outreach with third-party organizations to broaden our geographic reach. If you know of a certifying agency in your country, please share it with us so we can look into them.

For additional information, check out our Help center article. 

89 Comments
4b8e5037
Community Member

They can filter specifically for "minorities"? Isn't this discriminatory at its definition?

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Michael H wrote:

That's not at all what I stated;

[...]

Don't know where the miscommunication happend, but the point of badges is to identify diversity for the purpose of an even playing field of opportunity for all freelancers, plain and simple.

Hi Michael H.,

Sorry about the confusion. My reply you're referring to was to a different post by another user whose name is also Michael. I'll go ahead and add a quote to my post for clarity.

Thank you!

claudiacezy
Community Member

Nanette J wrote:

By the way, I want to let you know that every African American is mixed.  Anyway, the reason that the diversity badge is so important is that many non-white owned businesses are "shut out" of many opportunities white owned businesses have access to. This helps "level" the possiblities of equal access. Isn't equality what this country strives for? 

On a freelancing site, like Upwork, a client might search for a certified minority-owned freelancer to contract for a short term in order to access some US gov program ... instead of hiring full time a minority employee. How does this actually help with diversity within a company? Or how does this really offer more opportunities to minority groups?

These companies, directed by regulations, aren't looking to contract black, women .... they are looking for certified minority-owned. Not to mention that you might have to pay to get a certification for one of those minority-owned certificates.... this certification excludes even people within the minority group that can't effort paying those fees.

tonyq12
Community Member
Wow.
lkinoshita
Community Member

Upwork Terms of Service disallow any unlawful discrimination. Such conduct is not permitted on Upwork by any member. Upwork will take actions to enforce this. Flag & Report those posts and notify**Edited for community guidelines**. Upwork’s mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Key to that mission is that job opportunities be equally available to all qualified talent, regardless of background, nationality, race, ethnicity, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, actual or perceived disability status, veteran status, marital status, or other protected characteristics. 

jrdondero
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

The creation of diversity badges and the recognition of our minority voices is a matter of dignity, equality and deep profundity to those of us who live our lives as minorities. With meanings constantly ascribed to us that are not our own. With our voices and very identities being appropriated from us and in far too many cases, entirely silenced. Upwork is doing a really awesome thing here and it's about more than just you or me. It's about beginning to take those steps towards creating a truly equal workplace for all of us, which will, in turn, in time, lead to a society where one day equality will be truly the norm and no-one would require diversity badges. 

adriancheang
Community Member

I am a transman myself, so I see this as a great way to diversify and set myself apart from others. Hopefully, the Webinar will go into more detail and give helpful insights.

john_palm
Community Member

A system designed to discriminate based on race only heightens racism. This "diversity badge" is counter-productive and creates animosity towards those getting special privileges.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

John P wrote:

A system designed to discriminate based on race only heightens racism. This "diversity badge" is counter-productive and creates animosity towards those getting special privileges.

A badge cannot "create animosity". It is what it is and individuals choose how they respond to it.

UW did not invent workplace diversity goals and set-asides. That campaign has been waged in the brick-and-mortar world and the existence of federal policies in the US is now a fact. UW is responding to client requests for a mechanism to more easily implement their (clients') own goals and policies around minority set-asides. 

jrdondero
Community Member
John P, I give up. I'm just so grateful Upwork is run by right thinking people.