🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Updating Agency & Freelancer Reports
Page options

Updating Agency & Freelancer Reports

VladimirG
Community Manager

To streamline the information available in your Reports tab, we’re consolidating the nine different reports agencies and freelancers use to track data, into one single report that will house all hourly and fixed-price contract data. The new consolidated report called My Reports, will be available to all users via Reports > My Reports, and will include the same data that’s available to you today, but now in one customizable view and with additional richer data.

The My Reports page has greater filtering abilities and introduces customizable column options which will allow all users, Basic and Plus, to further customize display preferences and access a greater variety of data on a single page. This includes richer fixed-price and hourly contract data, and new Payment Type and Payment Description filters. Along with more prominent features like the ability to discern between manual, active, and exceeded hours (when hours run over the weekly limit contact limit set by a client). As well as several advanced filtering options for Plus members like the ability to filter by Milestones and months. And new Agency Plus filters to separate data by Clients and Teams.

OLD View:

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 5.27.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 5.27.30 PM.png

NEW View:

New 3-2.png

New 2-2.png

New 2-1.png

For Freelancers, My Reports will house all of the data from: Timesheet Details, Time Analyze, Timelogs, and Weekly Timesheet reports, into a new consolidated view. Your other reports will stay the same. This means you will still be able to access Overview, Lifetime Billings by Client, Connects History, Transaction History and Certificate of Earnings directly from the Reports tab as you currently do.

For Agencies, My Reports will house all of the data from: Timelogs, Weekly Agency Timesheet by Freelancer, Weekly Agency Timesheet by Client, Agency Timesheet Details and Time Analyze reports. Agencies will also have access to the Earnings Overview and Weekly Summary by Freelancers reports. The other reports, Transaction History, Lifetime Billings by Client and Connects History will remain as they currently are.

Users on the Freelancer and Agency Basic membership plan will have access to the same data they have today along with some additional data and options but will need to upgrade in order to access a few advance filtering options.

The new My Reports page will be rolling out this week and is mobile-ready. They will also be fully accessible through the Upwork Freelancer app soon. The reports that were consolidated will be retired in the coming months.

Let us know if you have any questions.

136 Comments
wendy_writes
Community Member

Michael wrote - and I can only second, third, fourth, etc. his words:

To sum up:

• Some reports are changing, but others aren't.
  • Oh wait, those reports are changing, too.
  • The new report provides "richer data" than the old reports.
  • The old reports never did what we say they did. (Oh wait, they did.)
  • But we can pay for (the equivalent of) the old reports if we want them.
  • Only we might not get them, because they're still building out new filters.
  • The new filters might or might not meet our needs, because they have no idea what those needs are and are anecdotally polling us to find out.

Meanwhile, mods are scrambling to keep up with a new official line every day.

Could Upwork possibly have made this rollout more protracted, painful, obscure, contradictory, disingenuous, and half-baked?

Upwork it would behoove you and be far more profitable if, for once, you stopped messing with stuff that actually works and concentrate on fixing stuff that does not.

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi all,

As an update, our Product Team has been closely monitoring this thread and the feedback shared. We understand the Reports data used to be displayed in a different way and there are some functionalities like memos that are no longer available and this is an issue for many of you. 

First, we want to explain the Reports pages had to be updated in order for them to accommodate new features. We wanted to update our reports pages so that they would be mobile-ready and available from desktops and the freelancer app. Our goal was to create a single report that included all information related to contracts (both fixed priced and hourly based) with the ability to extend to include the data you needed to see with customizable columns and filters. 

That being said, we do recognize that some important features for both Basic and Plus users were missing. We are happy to announce that we are working on including memos and activities in the new Reports, for both Basic and Plus freelancers and agencies, which will roll out very soon.

All users will have the ability to display Memos & Activities, as well as visualize them in columns, please check the screenshot below.

Reports1.png

Reports2.png

Note that while Basic users will have the same access to these options, grouping options are only available by day. Advanced grouping options (group by week/month/all time or by clients/teams) will continue to be available on Plus membership only. However, we will explore possibly expanding this offering. We see this is a source of frustration for many of you, but aside from upgrading to Plus, there are other ways to obtain this information. Because aside from how the information is sorted, all users Basic and Plus are still able to access all data. 

To follow up on questions about other Weekly Timesheet, Time Analyze, and Timelog details not being available, we’d like to confirm you can still access all information on the New Reports page, in the CSV and in your Earnings by Client report. For example, if you are looking for your month-end total earnings you can specify that date range or display information for any date range as far back as one year. Totals are displayed at the bottom of the page for the date range selected.

For accessing total earnings per month or any date range by a client, you can use the Earnings by Client report. Users on Basic membership can also download the CSV and manually group the information.

Reports New.png

Total hours and earnings in Reports, Earnings by Client report or Certificate of Earnings all provide information about monthly earnings that freelancers can use to apply for disability benefits, report their income for tax purposes, etc. We would recommend using the Certificate of Earnings report as a more official way of sharing this information as it includes a signature from an Upwork representative. 

We do recognize that the approach to using Reports for some freelancers will need to change and we are here to help guide you during this transition. Some of the processes you shared with us we didn’t anticipate since the Reports data (both in the previous and new versions) were designed to be used for a different purpose. Please feel free to reach out to us here and we’ll gladly help with navigating new Reports and identifying information you’re looking for. During this process, if we discover a way to possibly better display certain details, we’ll definitely share it with our team for further consideration. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for providing us the insight into your experience with using Reports. We will continue this conversation and monitor the feedback we’re receiving.

joansands
Community Member

Well, Vladimir - in my opinion, Upwork had some great reports but they did away with those and created this awful My Reports that is complicated, clumsy, and unpleasant to use and therefore I will never use it. Please explain why Upwork did away with the report I used a lot - timesheet details!

firescue17
Community Member

Vladimir G wrote:

Our goal was to create a single report that included all information related to contracts (both fixed priced and hourly based) with the ability to extend to include the data you needed to see with customizable columns and filters.

Upwork failed at that goal.

Vladimir G wrote:

To follow up on questions about other Weekly Timesheet, Time Analyze, and Timelog details not being available, we’d like to confirm you can still access all information on the New Reports page, in the CSV and in your Earnings by Client report.

Repeating this ad nauseam doesn't make it true.

Vladimir G wrote:

Total hours and earnings in Reports ...

Sure it does. If one wants to use a third-party tool to get BACK what was shoveled behind the paywall. Thank you kindly for the extra 1:40 of admin time THIS week.

Vladimir G wrote:

Total hours and earnings in Reports, Earnings by Client report or Certificate of Earnings all provide information about monthly earnings that freelancers can use to apply for disability benefits, report their income for tax purposes, etc.

Sure it does. If one wants to subtract the first two weeks by hand ... and then wait two weeks. And then add in the first two weeks from next month's report. Never mind the fact that's outside of the six-day reporting window. However, good job on the CYA statement. Upwork doesn't have the faintest idea of what the reporting requirements are.

Vladimir G wrote:

We would recommend using the Certificate of Earnings report as a more official way of sharing this information as it includes a signature from an Upwork representative.

I will pass that along to my caseworker and let her know Upwork said we're doing it wrong.

vieniav
Community Member

It works again. Thank you!

wendy_writes
Community Member

Another 1000k to Stephen's comment.

genelmayfield
Community Member

these reports werre very valuable to my business, please add them back or provide something simular.  I now have no other way to produce my own weeky detail except to duplicate my effort.  This was a terrible move on someones part that cearly impactis your freelancers (aka customer)

firescue17
Community Member

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Could Upwork possibly have made this rollout more protracted, painful, obscure, contradictory, disingenuous, and half-baked?

Oh absolutely. Community input notwithstanding, at least this cash-grab functioned as THEY intended right off the bat. Most changes bring the entire platform to its knees. Indefinitely.

tsekiza
Community Member

I understand that there has been a new roll-out of Reports Menu that is supposed to consolidate all types of reports. Unfortunately, this also led to taking out the Timesheet Details summary report, which was very useful for Freelancers in order to check our monthly memos vis-a-vis the time we spent working on the said memo. This has been available to us since before Odesk became UpWork, and we would like to have it brought back. As of now, only the employers have this feature, but we would like to not have to trouble them for it just to check on how much time we've spent on a particular task,

Please bring it back. 😞

thawevermelt
Community Member

Came here to complain about this too.

I've just logged in to check the 'Time Analyze' report from the previous weeks' work, as I need to update a separate PM platform that a client uses, to find...

It doesn't exist anymore! **Edited for Community Guidelines**

And now I have to pay to access more detailed reporting? Are you serious? UW is already taxing every minute of work that I undertake here. This is a bad move. Add this to inscrutable 'Job Success' score, total lack of support (beyond platitudinous emails asking 'so how're we doing!?') during the Covid outbreak, and this platform really does appear to be sinking. 

This is a multimillion-dollar platform, providing a middle-man service and already taxing its users for every penny earned. I'll be considering looking for alternatives from now.