Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Agency & Freelancer Reports

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
51 of 137

To sum up:

• Some reports are changing, but others aren't.
  • Oh wait, those reports are changing, too.
  • The new report provides "richer data" than the old reports.
  • The old reports never did what we say they did. (Oh wait, they did.)
  • But we can pay for (the equivalent of) the old reports if we want them.
  • Only we might not get them, because they're still building out new filters.
  • The new filters might or might not meet our needs, because they have no idea what those needs are and are anecdotally polling us to find out.

Meanwhile, mods are scrambling to keep up with a new official line every day.

Could Upwork possibly have made this rollout more protracted, painful, obscure, contradictory, disingenuous, and half-baked?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
52 of 137

Michael wrote - and I can only second, third, fourth, etc. his words:

To sum up:

• Some reports are changing, but others aren't.
  • Oh wait, those reports are changing, too.
  • The new report provides "richer data" than the old reports.
  • The old reports never did what we say they did. (Oh wait, they did.)
  • But we can pay for (the equivalent of) the old reports if we want them.
  • Only we might not get them, because they're still building out new filters.
  • The new filters might or might not meet our needs, because they have no idea what those needs are and are anecdotally polling us to find out.

Meanwhile, mods are scrambling to keep up with a new official line every day.

Could Upwork possibly have made this rollout more protracted, painful, obscure, contradictory, disingenuous, and half-baked?

Upwork it would behoove you and be far more profitable if, for once, you stopped messing with stuff that actually works and concentrate on fixing stuff that does not.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
53 of 137

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Oh absolutely. Community input notwithstanding, at least this cash-grab functioned as THEY intended right off the bat. Most changes bring the entire platform to its knees. Indefinitely.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
54 of 137

Hi all,

As an update, our Product Team has been closely monitoring this thread and the feedback shared. We understand the Reports data used to be displayed in a different way and there are some functionalities like memos that are no longer available and this is an issue for many of you. 

First, we want to explain the Reports pages had to be updated in order for them to accommodate new features. We wanted to update our reports pages so that they would be mobile-ready and available from desktops and the freelancer app. Our goal was to create a single report that included all information related to contracts (both fixed priced and hourly based) with the ability to extend to include the data you needed to see with customizable columns and filters. 

That being said, we do recognize that some important features for both Basic and Plus users were missing. We are happy to announce that we are working on including memos and activities in the new Reports, for both Basic and Plus freelancers and agencies, which will roll out very soon.

All users will have the ability to display Memos & Activities, as well as visualize them in columns, please check the screenshot below.

Reports1.png

Reports2.png

Note that while Basic users will have the same access to these options, grouping options are only available by day. Advanced grouping options (group by week/month/all time or by clients/teams) will continue to be available on Plus membership only. However, we will explore possibly expanding this offering. We see this is a source of frustration for many of you, but aside from upgrading to Plus, there are other ways to obtain this information. Because aside from how the information is sorted, all users Basic and Plus are still able to access all data. 

To follow up on questions about other Weekly Timesheet, Time Analyze, and Timelog details not being available, we’d like to confirm you can still access all information on the New Reports page, in the CSV and in your Earnings by Client report. For example, if you are looking for your month-end total earnings you can specify that date range or display information for any date range as far back as one year. Totals are displayed at the bottom of the page for the date range selected.

For accessing total earnings per month or any date range by a client, you can use the Earnings by Client report. Users on Basic membership can also download the CSV and manually group the information.

Reports New.png

Total hours and earnings in Reports, Earnings by Client report or Certificate of Earnings all provide information about monthly earnings that freelancers can use to apply for disability benefits, report their income for tax purposes, etc. We would recommend using the Certificate of Earnings report as a more official way of sharing this information as it includes a signature from an Upwork representative. 

We do recognize that the approach to using Reports for some freelancers will need to change and we are here to help guide you during this transition. Some of the processes you shared with us we didn’t anticipate since the Reports data (both in the previous and new versions) were designed to be used for a different purpose. Please feel free to reach out to us here and we’ll gladly help with navigating new Reports and identifying information you’re looking for. During this process, if we discover a way to possibly better display certain details, we’ll definitely share it with our team for further consideration. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for providing us the insight into your experience with using Reports. We will continue this conversation and monitor the feedback we’re receiving.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
55 of 137

Well, Vladimir - in my opinion, Upwork had some great reports but they did away with those and created this awful My Reports that is complicated, clumsy, and unpleasant to use and therefore I will never use it. Please explain why Upwork did away with the report I used a lot - timesheet details!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
56 of 137

Vladimir G wrote:

Our goal was to create a single report that included all information related to contracts (both fixed priced and hourly based) with the ability to extend to include the data you needed to see with customizable columns and filters.

Upwork failed at that goal.

Vladimir G wrote:

To follow up on questions about other Weekly Timesheet, Time Analyze, and Timelog details not being available, we’d like to confirm you can still access all information on the New Reports page, in the CSV and in your Earnings by Client report.

Repeating this ad nauseam doesn't make it true.

Vladimir G wrote:

Total hours and earnings in Reports ...

Sure it does. If one wants to use a third-party tool to get BACK what was shoveled behind the paywall. Thank you kindly for the extra 1:40 of admin time THIS week.

Vladimir G wrote:

Total hours and earnings in Reports, Earnings by Client report or Certificate of Earnings all provide information about monthly earnings that freelancers can use to apply for disability benefits, report their income for tax purposes, etc.

Sure it does. If one wants to subtract the first two weeks by hand ... and then wait two weeks. And then add in the first two weeks from next month's report. Never mind the fact that's outside of the six-day reporting window. However, good job on the CYA statement. Upwork doesn't have the faintest idea of what the reporting requirements are.

Vladimir G wrote:

We would recommend using the Certificate of Earnings report as a more official way of sharing this information as it includes a signature from an Upwork representative.

I will pass that along to my caseworker and let her know Upwork said we're doing it wrong.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Phat D Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
57 of 137

It works again. Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
58 of 137

Another 1000k to Stephen's comment.

Highlighted
Anju S Member Since: Jul 12, 2016
59 of 137

Hi,

Why do we need to upgrade to get a report that was already available? Why can we not have access to group by week feature on the basic plan.  It was available before. 

This is a dis-service to freelancers who work hard on your platform.  Very unhappy with Upwork.

Anju

Highlighted
Community Leader
Kevin C. N Member Since: Oct 4, 2016
60 of 137

Oh, wow... I've held myself from checking these forums for a while: I'm as frustrated as I possibly can be with the new reports system, but I anticipated I'd be reading poor excuses to justify these changes being made, I anticipated moderators would be treating freelancers as if they were born just yesterday and didn't know how to use a computer, telling us it's all so much easier to use now, so much clearer, and of course, making no acknowledgment whatsoever to the fact that all this is just about setting up yet another paywall.

Oh boy UW: you do not disappoint!

Today, after having to manually go through different clients' payments for the eleventh time, I couldn't help myself from heading over to the community forums to at least give kudos to those who are trying to get UW to see the injustice being made here and to say I feel the same way.

We liked the old system: It was easy, it was quick, it was effective. We don't like the new system: It's clumsy, it's confusing, and most importantly it is NOT better than the old system, so trying to charge for it is just ridiculous, it will not happen.

It is not about the $15, I have paid thousands and thousands of dollars in service fees over the last few years, and I have done so happily as UW provided a valuable service to me, enabling me to access clients worldwide, ensuring I get paid, etc., we all know the drill. But asking us to pay for a service that used to be BETTER and FREE is just ridiculous and even though I don't see it happening, I hope you reconsider this approach.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS