Featured Contributor

Updating your Experience Level

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Manager
1,698 Posts

Updating your Experience Level

Freelancers, you are now able to select and update your experience levels on your profile, previously this was only available during your initial registration. If you go to settings > Profile Settings: You can select from three different levels.

• Entry Level- Starting to build experience
  • Intermediate- A few years of professional experience
  • Expert- Many years of experience doing complex projects

profile expert.png

Your experience level is not visible on your profile, however in search clients are able to filter freelancers by experience levels.image.png

Sound off with any questions.

Thanks,

Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
386 Posts

Re: Updating your Experience Level

Greetings Lena,

Congrats on yet another Upwork initiative! I'd like to clear a few of my doubts before I make the expertise changes to my profile:

One of our freelancers had voiced her concern about the 'expertise level' that we chose to select for our profile, "Why two filters regarding freelancer's hourly rate? "

If the client decides to stick to 'Entry Level' or 'Intermediates', won't I lose out on a prospective job? For example: lets say I don't have any expertise level announced on my profile and a client shortlists me. It might be very well possible that during the interview, the client is impressed by the skills and experience that I bring to the table and agrees to pay slightly higher than his initial estimate.

However, if my job profile proclaims me as an expert, the Client/ search algorithm may chose to ignore me altogether thereby robbing me of a shot at a job opportunity. 

So my question is: Are there any chances that branding myself as an expert, may backfire on me? Any thoughts/ opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Community Guru
248 Posts

@ Lena

I'm also wondering the same things as Nikhil here.

I'm also wondering if there is a way to set the level for each skill showing in a freelancers list? So far, I didn't spot any such a thing. So I'm currently calling it as "I missed something again!!". Unless there simply is no way to do that which does defeat the purpose of the new feature.

I have some skills listed that I have been doing for a VERY long time (decades). And some others there too in my profile that I haven't been doing for so long. I can't very well have them both listed as expert.

In trying out this feature, I clicked on Intermediate. Is there a way to turn that off or remove it? That certainly doesn't apply to everything in my skills list. I know, I know...... I clicked it AFTER looking!! My bad!! hehehehehe 

Community Guru
13,362 Posts

Thanks for the announcement!

Listen everybody, even if you decide not to pick an experience level, I suggest you click on profile settings and look at this.

This is something new you need to know about.

When I first set up my profile last year I filled in a field that asked how many years of experience I have. I thought this might have translated to experience level.

It did not. Despite having entered that information previously, my experience level was not yet indicated. So don't leave this to chance. Go there and choose an experience level.

I understand some people have questions about this new thing, but I can think of few people who would not benefit from setting this.
Community Guru
13,362 Posts

[ Edited ]

Santiago. I get what you're saying about setting different experience levels for different skills.

But that isn't an option and it will not be an option for the foreseeable future. Try to understand that this feature isn't intended to paint a complete picture of everything you do in life. It is an aid to clients using a search engine to find contractors who match their preferences. Not all clients will want to specify an experience level.

Answer the question based on the main skill category you are presenting on your profile.

Community Guru
248 Posts

@ Preston

Thanks.

@ Lena

Any way to undo the setting?

Community Guru
410 Posts

I undid setting simply by pressing other option (from expert to intermediate and back) and it worked fine.

Community Manager
1,698 Posts

[ Edited ]

Santiago, The Experience level feature only allows you to pick one experience level, you can change the level but you can not deselect. I would advise you to pick the skill level that is most appropriate for the skill set that you're trying to sell. I understand that having multiple skills will most likely result in different experience levels per skill. This is where your proposal should come into play. You could also use the "title" portion of your profile to highlight your skills.  For example, Expert Computer Programmer with Andrioid App Development Skills.

Nikhil, you bring up a valid point about the search and how it could hinder a freelancer, I will pass your feedback along.

Preston, thanks for your insight, as usual Smiley Happy

-Lena 

Untitled
Community Guru
410 Posts

"The Experience level feature only allows you to pick one experience level, you can change the level but you can not deselect"

I am sorry but this is kind of confusing. Would that mean that the experience level that I chose the first time would be the one that is always calculated, regardless of the fact that I selected intermediate afterwards and then again expert level? 

Each time when I switched between different levels it actually  did show the level I just switched to as selected one (after change.)

Community Manager
1,698 Posts

Hi Natasa,

I apologize, that does sound confusing. I was referring to Santiago's question about removing an experience level completely, not selecting any. To answer your question, yes it does update and change when you change your selection. 

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

-Lena

Untitled