cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating your Experience Level

Frequent Visitor
Jill B Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
21 of 28

Lena, I've been having an ongoing correspondence with customer service for a month now, with no resolution.  I'm a 7-year Elance veteran, with high skills, high scores, much success on Elance.  In August I set my Upwork profile to "Expert" -- but somehow that didn't work -- my profile shows up in the "Beginner" filter only.  Therefore, I get invitations for jobs at $5 and $10 an hour.  On Elance my projects range from a low of $30 per hour to a high of $300/hour.  (Yes, I did score that one.)  Yesterday I was informed by an Upwork Premium Support person that the technical team could give her no idea on when this would be resolved.  Isn't there a manual fix that someone could perform?  I'd like to start getting some traction here.  Thanks.

Andrii L Member Since: Oct 19, 2015
22 of 28

Jill,

Yesterday I was informed by an Upwork Premium Support person

how did you get "Premium Support"?

I migrated from Elance where I worked since 2011 almost fulltime (about 200 jobs, 5.0 feedbacks) and I have no any kind of Premium Support.

Whe I asked about this problem (my profile is invisible in search results if any Experienc level selected except "All level" option) I got totally stupid answer from an Upwrok agent who knows how Upwork works even less then me after a week here. I created a duplicate request and got an answer: "we know about the problem and we're working to fix it".  And also I've been redirected to the first request where the first agen asked me "do you still have the problem? and marked the request as solved". The worst support experience I ever had.

I'm sure it is minor bug technically and easy to fix, but it's a  huge problem for freelancers with invisible profiles. I think they just doing something different like changing this Experience levels system at all instead of fixing this minor bug asap.

I've even conacted Upwork CEO directly (and got his response, I hope it will help us). I wish to know what is going on here and how freelancers and clients can improve Upwork. As support team answers are nothing better than "Upwork is the best platform ever. we know how to make things better. we're working hard. please wait, we're fixing a bug. one more bug. a lot of bugs."

UPD: it's hard to get full statistic how many freelancers have the problem with no experience level assigned as search results seems to be limited with 500 pages, but when I search with some keywords to get less then 500 pages (5000 freelacners) I can see that about 45% of freelancers has no experience level assigned. In other words: if there are 100 pages with 1000 freelancers in the search results without experience level filter used, you can find only 550 freelancers totally for Enrty/Intermediate/Expert levels.

Pavel B Member Since: Sep 23, 2015
23 of 28

I have investigated this and found that almost 25% of freelancers are not being found by any Experience level.

That means that they are nearly not being found at all since this option is required for a job description and is a one of three main search options.

Why do we need this option anyway? Eg if I have 10% of job success, all tests failed and hourly rate 5$ - what does my "Expert" Experience Level set mean? Isn't it an overlapping of those other profile parameters?

For me it's a meaningless option which does not allow me to get a job here.

24 of 28

"excel vba developer" 2366 freelancers on 237 pages, but only 1327 of them has an experience level assigned. 44% of freelancers has no any experience level assigned and are invisible for all clients who use experience level filter.

And they are not new freelancers with empty profiles. My profile is one of the invisible profiles. 2500 hours, 175 job, 97% success score. And i'm invisible.

2015-10-19_18-01-37.png

25 of 28

and then, if i've checked first page of the search result and only 3 freelancers of 10 on the first page has experience level assigned. 7 of them are invisible.

Miss K Member Since: Dec 18, 2015
26 of 28
The problem is less the levels (entry, intermediate, etc); it's the rate (salary) range associated with them.

In the US, $40 an hour is a starting rate for many freelancers, but in a Third World country, that's a LOT of money. So, $10-15 is a good salary for some who are not "Entry" level. Etc., etc. That's what I'm trying to get at.
Ace Contributor
Paola S Member Since: Jul 27, 2016
27 of 28

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the experience level and what it pertains to exactly. I am setting up my profile as a VA and I am not sure if this question pertains to real life experience being an administrative assistant  and working in office environments etc. (I would choose expert) or if it pertains to working as a freelancer online. As a freelancer, I am a beginner and it is my first time on this website.  I do have experience working remotely as I currently live in Uruguay and most companies here are back offices for international names. I am not sure if I should put intermediate?

Thanks in advance!

Paola

Community Manager
Valeria K Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
28 of 28

Hi Paola,

This setting refers to your experience in the filed, not necessarily as a freelancer.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS