🐈
» Forums » Bulletin Board » Upwork Academy is Here! (V1)
Page options
c474c41e
Community Manager
Community Manager

Upwork Academy is Here! (V1)

We are excited to announce the soft launch of Upwork Academy! After months of research, planning, and creating, we are pleased to share our first five courses. In its current state, the academy content is geared to those starting their Upwork journey, but as we expand, we hope to open up our content to become more relevant for people at all stages in their Upwork journey. 

Upwork Academy will be the new home for information, resources, and support for all users on the platform—here we’ll provide tools for success to help you build and grow your business. Through our easily accessible and interactive suite of trainings and resources, on-demand content, Academy courses, featured events, group coaching, and much more, we hope that Academy becomes a space for our Upwork Community to excel, improve, and collaborate. 

We’re so excited to have you join us, and we’ll see you soon in Academy! 

Current State

After rigorous rounds of user testing, we are currently offering courses on the following topics:

• Creating your Profile
  • Crafting your Profile Title & Overview
  • Building your Portfolio
  • Finding Work
  • Submitting Proposals

If you’re new to Upwork, you may have already received a message from our team sharing the courses available in the Upwork Academy within the last few weeks. We’ve been working across the organization to find opportunities to bring new folks into Academy to help them succeed.

We are also collecting ongoing feedback on ways to improve our courses. Once you have completed a course, if you’d like to provide feedback please submit it via this google survey. 

Future State

We’ll be fully launching Academy in late May, and later this year, we’ll be expanding course offerings beyond new to Upwork content to ensure we address pain points of Upworkers at all stages. 

In a fast follow, we are working on our “Staying Safe on Upwork” course, a course aimed to educate new users about Scam tactics, with our Trust and Safety team that we hope to release in mid-May. We know this is an important issue and are looking forward to being able to help educate safety tips. 

We appreciate your continued interest and ongoing feedback to help us build a strong Upwork Academy!

4 REPLIES 4
moonraker
Community Member

M'Chelle R wrote:

In a fast follow, we are working on our “Staying Safe on Upwork” course, a course aimed to educate new users about Scam tactics, with our Trust and Safety team that we hope to release in mid-May. We know this is an important issue and are looking forward to being able to help educate safety tips. 

That's all very well, but it will be pointless unless it's mandatory to take the course. 

sofia2008
Community Member

RE: Current State

After rigorous rounds of user testing, we are currently offering courses on the following topics:

• Creating your Profile
  • Crafting your Profile Title & Overview
  • Building your Portfolio
  • Finding Work
  • Submitting Proposals

This is a great initiative, but I wish the order in which they are offered would be different.

The order suggested is exactly like the path many new freelancers take.

This is also the path they should not take because they do not understand how the platform works, they fall easily for scams, which attracts even more scammers, and take up more resources than anyone before even earning a dollar.

Some common questions/comments seen on the Community Forum:

How do I get paid?

I have no more Connects

How do you send a proposal

Client stopped communicating on Telegram

My refund was given illegally. Give me my money back now.

Did not receive payment (while not hired)

Is this a scam?

I was so excited to get my first job! What do I do now?

When will I get paid?

The amount of my payment is way less than the amount of my contract.

My money was stolen

My account was suspended. I did nothing wrong.

I applied for a few jobs, but I have no clue how this works.

This is why « Staying Safe on Upwork » course should be at the beginning, even before freelancers hit the marketplace, with a big emphasis on the Terms of Service and anything related to how the platform works. 

d_samuel_udokpok
Community Member

Make it mandatory for new freelancers to go through the academy. That way you can be sure they're conversant with platform

62bf3bc0
Community Member

Good morning,I am new on the platform, what are the things I will need to do to get a job and what course do I need to register for, please I need help on how to get badge on credly, also I want to register for courses that will help boost my carrier on upwork,I will be glad if I get a mentor or someone who will guild me throughout this journey.

Thank you Folake Ogunsola from Nigeria 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths