cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Launch Video

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 12

We are excited to debut our Upwork launch video "Ideas Need People", here on the Community! This video is part of our integrated marketing campaign that we have introduced, aimed to bring more opportunities and clients to Upwork.  I hope you enjoy!

Untitled
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
2 of 12

So you really are setting out your stall on finding a freelancer in minutes. What does it say about your undertanding of the quality and professionalism of people on here -  that all they should be bothered about is saving a few minutes? Hire this person for $10 because they can start in an hour - never mind if the right person for the job has a life, so unfortunately can't answer your request for a few hours?

If you want your document proofed and edited, why not hire someone who can edit 6,000 words per hour? - that'll save you loads of time. Might be a crap job though.

Time is not everything - but if Upwork thinks that's the most important factor in selling their professional workforce, who are we to say anything?

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 12

Given what I have seen on this platform recently when trying to hire someone, the last thing in the world I would do is hire someone in 3 minutes or less.

I posted a job last week, still not filled, for someone to simply setup Wordpress through my hosting service, upload and activate a template and add an icon for Facebook. I know exactly how long this takes to do as I've done it myself before. 

One freelancer quoted me $400 and 57 hours of work. 

On top of that, within 30 minutes I was swamped with over 40 applicants and quickly went into burnout mode.

Many of the freelancers tried to get me to talk on skype and would not quote me a price unless I did skype with them. The job was not brain surgery. No skype was necessary. 

Over the day more and more applicants applied and I got to the point where it was too much and I gave up.

I asked for an expert and 90% of those who applied were not experts and I was forced to wade through their profiles to find this out. I was not amused at this.

Frankly the whole exercise made me angry. A simple job, by an expert was all I wanted. Instead I ended up with a full blown mess on my hands until it drove me away.

How about you fix your system before starting with your 3 minute offer. I work hard for my money and I have no intention wasting it on the first person who comes along because I can't trust Upwork to be showing me truly qualified people.

Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
4 of 12

Hiring quickly doesn't mean doing so carelessly. Yes, it's a key tenet of our marketing campaign because we know clients want a fast way to find the right talent for their projects. We've heard and seen this time and again. But, we're aiming to match up clients with the best freelancer for their project and that means someone who's not only equipped with the right skill set and talent, but also someone they can trust based on the freelancer's reputation and track record of success. 

This is a promotional video and isn't intended to encompass all facets of our business. Instead, we hope it will help attract new potential clients by engaging them in one important advantage of hiring online through Upwork.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
5 of 12

@Garnor M wrote:

Hiring quickly doesn't mean doing so carelessly.

It does if a client is new to Upwork.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
6 of 12

@Garnor M wrote:

But, we're aiming to match up clients with the best freelancer for their project and that means someone who's not only equipped with the right skill set and talent, but also someone they can trust based on the freelancer's reputation and track record of success. 

I understand the premise, but the problem is currently the suggested Freelancers are not matching what people want. I can't even get my name on the list of Resume Writers and yet I meet all the qualfications. On the other hand a data entry clerk ends up on a list for a Resume & Cover Writing job. 

Are you saying they are going to start fixing some of the problems?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 12

Hi Jean,

We do understand your frustration. Rest assured that improving our matching and search algorithms is among the most important things on our roadmap. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
8 of 12

I have to say I really like this new marketing video!

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
9 of 12
Yes, it is quite nice.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
10 of 12

I totally agree. The video is extremely well done. Despite some of the issues that are posted about, it gives freelancers a sense of pride -- being a part of.... See the video!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS