cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Launch Video

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
11 of 12

Thanks Krisztina for the compliment and posting this in the community. I merged your thread with the announcement thread. 

Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 12
The video is great. Well made. Fun. And makes a great point.

Your idea ain't worth much until you do something to make it a reality.

I disagree with those who say clients should not hire quickly. I hire quickly on Upwork and I hire quickly on Craigslist when I hire people to work in my home.

Hiring quickly saves a lot of time.

(Having said that, let me be quick to point out that there ARE SOME TYPES OF JOBS THAT YOU SHOULD NOT HIRE HASTILY FOR. Some examples have been mentioned in previous posts.)

The key to hiring quickly is being willing to discern quality workers and contractors and keep the good ones and quickly dismiss the others.

And of course hiring multiple people.

When I hire a labor crew to do a move, I hire more people than I need. Two-thirds of them show up and I have the perfect size crew. I don't have to pay the people who don't show up.

CSS-based web design?

Hire 5 people to do one job. One never turns in work. One does a lousy job. I pay him anyway. But I don't use him again. Three give me something I like. I take one-third from each and have something I love.

I have posted jobs on Upwork and hired people within minutes and I have been very happy with the results.

You might NOT NEED TO HIRE MULTIPLE PEOPLE SIMULTANEOUSLY. You could hire people briefly.

Editing your book is important. You could hire editors to do 30 minutes of work and send you their results. If you see something you like, continue working with that person. If their work isn't what you're looking for, thank them for their time and close the contract.

I don't understand why clients complain about contractors whose work doesn't satisfy them, yet they persist in working with that contractor for many weeks.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS