Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Town Hall Webinars - May 3 Announcement

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 12

As mentioned in our announcement here on our blog, members of the Upwork leadership team will be hosting a series of live Town Hall webinars to address Community questions and feedback.

We will be giving a high-level overview of the changes outlined here for freelancers and here for clients on Upwork, and responding to your comments and questions live. Attendance is limited, so register early using the links below*.

Town Hall Webinar #1 - May 10, 2016 at 9am-10am Pacific: here

Town Hall Webinar #2 - May 12, 2016 at 5pm-6pm Pacific: here

We look forward to talking with you soon.

*We anticipate a large number of attendees so we can't guarantee participation for all registrants. We will do our best to include everyone and will make available a recording for those interested and unable to attend.

If you’re unable to join us at these times you can also find answers to many of your questions by reading our Client and Freelancer FAQ discussions.

Untitled
Ace Contributor
Elizabeth B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 12

Thanks!

I so love our tri-annual tradition of yelling about changes we had no part in making at people who have no interest in listening.

Community Manager
3 of 12

There won't be yelling since your questions will be taken online, but we do listen, otherwise we wouldn't be doing this.

Untitled
Jon R Member Since: May 3, 2016
4 of 12

There needs to be an appropriate and fair response as well as listening. Listening and then walking away and doing the same anyway is a waste of everyone's time, yours included.

Janet W B Member Since: Jul 19, 2008
5 of 12

Oh, you'll be listening, because that's the official task you have to do in a Town Hall. 

But will anything change? Will our concerns, complaints, or honest problems get SOLVED by any of these nifty little "improvements" over which we have no say and to which we're all constrained to obey?

Three guesses.

If you think the freelancers who post here are cynical, at least we're still HERE. From the looks of the comments on the community forums, that's going to change rapidly and in significant numbers.

Way to take a great idea and systematically ruin it!

Ace Contributor
Shamontiel V Member Since: Mar 27, 2014
6 of 12

I'm not exactly thrilled with this news, but at least you're going to summarize it by client. If I understand this correctly, if I complete a TOTAL of $500 with a client (say it's five different projects for $100), then I would still only be charged the 10% fee, correct? 

I'm asking this specifically because I've had to have clients in the past create "new jobs" for the same project because the terms changed (ex. hourly to flat rate), or pricing or deadlines, etc. It was easier to negotiate rates as new "jobs" instead of doing it the bonus way. So Upwork will keep track of each client, no matter how many small projects to determine the percentage rate, correct? 

------

On another note, I often wonder how often freelancers ask the client to pay the Upwork fee versus them having it deducted from their own rates. I've done it both ways. 

Community Manager
7 of 12

Hi Shamontiel,

Yes the service fees are based on your lifetime earnings with a client across all contracts. So if you did 5 $100 jobs you would be charged the 20% service fee until you reached $500, then any future jobs with the client would be billed at a 10% fee until you reach the next threshold.

Does that make sense?

-Lena

Untitled
Md. Ashiqur R Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
8 of 12

Wise decision from UpWork. I am happy for the new pricing system. This new system will encourage clients to work for long term with same freelancer. I do not like to work in short term projects. Price is a liitle bit high for less than $500 project, otherwise it remains the same as earlier, up to $10000.

Sean M Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
9 of 12

Why would a Client care which contractor they work with? Their payments wouldn't change no matter who they use. You'll just be paying 20% instead of 10% and the client 2.75% to pay you. It's a huge increase across the board with no rhyme or reason.

If it costs more for Upwork to service small jobs and less for big jobs then it should be a wash!

Ace Contributor
Shamontiel V Member Since: Mar 27, 2014
10 of 12

@Md. Ashiqur R wrote:

Wise decision from UpWork. I am happy for the new pricing system. This new system will encourage clients to work for long term with same freelancer. I do not like to work in short term projects. Price is a liitle bit high for less than $500 project, otherwise it remains the same as earlier, up to $10000.

I can't say I agree with this one. One problem with the rate increase is that it gives too many freelancers the opportunity to not only charge less than others, but there's also the matter of the client not having to pay more anyway. It's the freelancer who loses money, not the client, assuming the freelancer is willing to deduct the fee from their own rates. If the freelancer chooses to include the 20% rate up to $500 in their hire rate, that could become too high for clients who would opt out of working with them.

We're already competing with lower rates (and sometimes lower quality work). Add on dedutions from higher fees up to $500, and some freelancers will really get screwed. The only reason I'm not totally discouraged by this news is because I have a few longtime clients.