🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Upwork has transitioned from a private to pub...
Page options

Upwork has transitioned from a private to public company

lenaellis
Community Member

We are excited to share the news that today Upwork became a public company.  We are so grateful and appreciative of the freelancers and clients who sailed this journey with us and believe in Upwork and our role in the future of work. You are helping us fulfill our vision of a world where people can work without limits.

As an Upwork customer you may be wondering how this news may change the Upwork platform. The move from a private company to a public one will not change how Upwork operates. Your experience stays the same and we are not considering any pricing or fee changes at this time.  We’re committed to our mission of creating more economic opportunities so people have better lives. This public offering will allow us to continue to invest in our business and our mission.

We are extremely proud of this moment, and we hope you share this pride alongside us. At Nasdaq today, we brought you with us as we celebrate, knowing our users are the core of our business. This would not have been possible without all of you. We are only successful if you are. This is truly a joint effort.

18-09-Times-Square-Nasdaq-Mockup_Twitter_440x220@2x.png

Also check out this blog post about our ad campaign in Times Square, NY, featuring freelancers.

Click here to read our blog post, which includes a letter from our CEO Stephane Kasriel.

From all of us at Upwork, Thank you!

Let us know if you have any questions.

125 Comments
versailles
Community Member

@Daniyal A wrote:

It's pretty much disappointing for me to see the freelancers in the campaign who might done 20-30 jobs as compared to freelancers who have been working here from the nearly decade (Thousands of earnings and hundreds of reviews/jobs).

I think it's completely un-justice to do that, there should be a proper mechanism to select a freelancer for these kinds of campaigns, otherwise, you're de-motivating your "Actual" top rated freelancers. Smiley Embarassed

Why? Do you really think anyone would notice and remember any on the heads spinning on the billboard and then log in Upwork to hire them?

Have you seen the videos?

This campaign was an advertisement for Upwork as a platform, not for the people on the billboard.

jsena
Community Member

I can feel his sentiment and other top-rated freelancers tho. It's just a matter of recognition that we like to have as veterans here on Upwork like a win-win situation for Upwork and us as a more-than-a-decade top-rated freelancers. Just like a simple gesture of appreciation from Upwork tho not actually to get noticed and get hired by people that can see our face in NY Times Square. 

coolsdudes1992
Community Member

No way, I am not thinking like that... It's pretty obvious no one gonna hire like this. It's just the matter of appreciation. Like YT sends play button.. so it's doesn't gonna change that channel views - just appericiation of your hard work. That's it!

teaghostwriter21
Community Member

The share price opened at USD10 per share and now it is valued at USD19-21 per share. The debt to equity ratio is that Upwork has more debt to equity (which makes sense before they were listed they probably took out loans to fund for their assest and so on). 

There is no financial statements yet as this is a newly listed company. I will probably be buying 5 shares (around USD100). Now all I gotta do is to find a client to pay me USD300 haha and I can cover the cost and possibly buy more shares. 

I really think it is a good company. (been here from Elance and I have heard the partnership was a great thing) And 3 years later they are listed. I am so proud to be an Upworker! 🙂 

jolash
Community Member
Good for you Paul. You shared a truly inspiring story. Best wishes. Oreofe.
vladgr
Community Member

It was fair to distribute some shares between top-rated freelancers as they are the reason why this platform has success, we have paid so many fees.

It was an amazing marketing tool for you guys and a great way of showing that you actually care about users not just about money.

Cheers.

sjponce
Community Member

How about me, How to opt in too?

petra_r
Community Member

@Vlad G wrote:

It was fair to distribute some shares between top-rated freelancers as they are the reason why this platform has success, we have paid so many fees.

It was an amazing marketing tool for you guys and a great way of showing that you actually care about users not just about money.

????????? Shares were distributed between top-rated freelancers ??????

paulb2112
Community Member

Didn't get that comment either. Oh well. 

petra_r
Community Member

@Paul E wrote:

Didn't get that comment either. Oh well. 

Maybe an attempt at sarcasm went over our poor little heads, Paul.