Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are here for you- COVID-19 Update

Highlighted
Robin M Member Since: Jun 5, 2016
161 of 165

Dear Ms. Brown, 

My name is Robin, and I have been a faithful freelancer on Upwork (formerly oDesk) since January 2011. I have worked 10,405 hours to date and have referred countless of capable contractors and employers in need of contractors to the platform. I truly do value the opportunity to work for your company from home. 

That said, I would really like to know what was meant when an Upwork staffer typed "We are here for you- COVID-19 Update" into the subject box of this string. I ask because this has been my experience . . . 

Covid-19 is a tricky illness. You get it, are sicker than you have ever been, and recover (or so you think you have). I contracted Covid in early March but continued to work, as I was able, not wanting to disappoint my clients. I got somewhat better, not feeling 100% but managing. At the beginning of May, Covid tossed me another big surprise with a pulmonary embolism in my lung, complicated by pneumonia for which I was hospitalized. Prior to being admitted, however, I did change my Upwork status to unavailable until May 30th, even though I was unsure if I would ever be home to work from home again. 

(Please bear with me, as I do have a point.)

I had some great doctors and nurses and was released late last week more than a little concerned about the business to which I was returning. I honestly was most concerned about my annoyed clients and the hundreds of emails awaiting me in my inbox, but it never occurred to me to be concerned about my standing with Upwork, as I had done everything I should have done, right? Wrong. I came home to my account being suspended because I did not reply in a timely manner to have my identity verified for the 5th time during a pandemic when my profile was paused. 

The closing of your message asked the community to let Upwork know if there is anything you can do to help. I would like to suggest putting a stop to suspending accounts during this pandemic for frivolous reasons, such as identity verification, especially if the freelancer has been working for you for 9 years. For my part, when I do not look like an extra on The Walking Dead, I will schedule yet another verification interview. 

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Sincerely, 

Robin M. 

**Edited for community guidelines**     

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
162 of 165

Hi Robin,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and I'm really sorry this has been an inconvenience. I have followed up with the team and they'll be assisting you directly with your situation.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Robin M Member Since: Jun 5, 2016
163 of 165

Hi All, 

I commented on https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/We-are-here-for-you-COVID-19-Update/td-p/719217, hoping to shed some light on freelancers dealing with Upwork and Covid-19, but when I realized that my comment was buried on Page 17 and would likely never be read, I thought I would repost it here. No haters, please. We are a community that should be working together. Please just ignore the below if it doesn't pertain to you. If it does, I would welcome your replies, as I am sure others will to. I stayed away from commenting on anything other than work (i.e. mortage payments, dwindling food supply, childcare, etc.). So, without further ado . . . 

Dear Ms. Brown, 

My name is Robin, and I have been a faithful freelancer on Upwork (formerly oDesk) since January 2011. I have worked 10,405 hours to date and have referred countless of capable contractors and employers in need contractors to the platform. I truly do value the opportunity to work for your company from home. 

That said, I would really like to know what was meant when an Upwork staffer typed "We are here for you- COVID-19 Update" into the subject box of this string. I ask because this has been my experience . . . 

Covid-19 is a tricky illness. You get it, are sicker than you have ever been, and recover (or so you think you have). I contracted Covid in early March but continued to work, as I was able, not wanting to disappoint my clients. I got somewhat better, not feeling 100% but managing. At the beginning of May, Covid tossed me another big surprise with a pulmonary embolism in my lung, complicated by pneumonia for which I was hospitalized. Prior to being admitted, however, I did change my Upwork status to unavailable until May 30th, even though I was unsure if I would ever be home to work from home again. 

(Please bear with me, as I do have a point.)

I had some great doctors and nurses and was released late last week more than a little concerned about the business to which I was returning. I honestly was most concerned about my annoyed clients and the hundreds of emails awaiting me in my inbox, but it never occurred to me to be concerned about my standing with Upwork, as I had done everything I should have done, right? Wrong. I came home to my account being suspended because I did not reply in a timely manner to have my identity verified for the 5th time during a pandemic when my profile was paused. 

The closing of your message asked the community to let Upwork know if there is anything you can do to help. I would like to suggest putting a stop to suspending accounts during this pandemic for frivolous reasons, such as identity verification, especially if the freelancer has been working for you for 9 years. For my part, when I do not look like an extra on The Walking Dead, I will schedule yet another verification interview. 

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Sincerely, 

Robin M. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
164 of 165
I think you know the answer. And we all do. And thank you for bringing this to light for all. I hope you are recovering well.
Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
165 of 165

Hi Robin,

I understand how this can be very frustrating for you, and I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

The sorting order of the posts in a thread depends on how you sort posts in your settings. The arrangement will also change if you are logged out of the Community. For me, your post is showing on page 1. If you want to make changes to the sorting order, please check out this Settings page

I can see that Valeria has already responded to your post and our team already followed up on your open ticketAs a gentle reminder, please be mindful of our Community Guidelines and avoid duplicate posting as this may be considered spam. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS