cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are here for you- COVID-19 Update

Highlighted
Amy S Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
21 of 165
Have you tried the instant payment feature? It only takes a $2 flat fee and it truly delivered to my bank account instantly, not hours later. It's much cheaper than a late fee!
Highlighted
Diana K Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
22 of 165

Amy - I have that feature but at the moment I can't afford to lose the fee from what are often already small payments. I think Upwork should start working with clients like many other companies to help during this crisis. Reducing the job fee would be a good start. 

Highlighted
Shanell H Member Since: Mar 26, 2020
23 of 165
Yes I have but I was really referring to we have to wait a week back for our payments that we've already completed from last week or prior to if the funds are already available in an escrow account making them available in these hard times immediately would be better
Highlighted
THOMAS M Member Since: May 16, 2017
24 of 165

Exactly my concern.

If the earning process is complete and the client has released the funds, why does it have to take so long for the funds to clear? Anybody who knows the reason? 

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
25 of 165

Hi Thomas, 

Our team is still looking into solutions that will allow for the security period to be reduced while maintaining a high level of protection users' payments currently have. We'll update the Community once we receive feedback from our Product team but I can confirm that our team is not considering reducing the timeline for automatically releasing Escrow funds.

While we continue to test ways to get freelancers' earnings faster to them, at this point we are not able to offer a shorter security period for all transactions. Security remains to be our priority.

Thomas wrote:

Exactly my concern.

If the earning process is complete and the client has released the funds, why does it have to take so long for the funds to clear? Anybody who knows the reason? 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Katherine P Member Since: Mar 27, 2020
26 of 165

Thank you so much for looking into this. a 24-48hr period would be so welcomed when compared to the five days we currently wait. 

Highlighted
Michelle F Member Since: Mar 27, 2020
27 of 165

This, exactly! Even 3 days would be preferable Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Brad B Member Since: Sep 29, 2019
28 of 165

I don't understand the security concern here. What exactly is the reason for the 5-day wait? When I do work outside of Upwork, and the client pays via paypal, I get the money immediately. Why does it take 5 days here? What exactly are you protecting us from?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
29 of 165

Brad B wrote:

I don't understand the security concern here. What exactly is the reason for the 5-day wait? When I do work outside of Upwork, and the client pays via paypal, I get the money immediately. Why does it take 5 days here? What exactly are you protecting us from?

Wait until you get a chargeback on PayPal or a dispute. lol 

The 5-day hold is for fraud. There is a lot of it, mostly from freelancers so just like all things it's the **Edited for Community Guidelines** minority that ruin it for the honest ones. Upwork kinda brings it on themselves with the auto accepted people, but it is what it is and whatever as long as I am winning and making money.

Highlighted
Amy S Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
30 of 165

The difference here is that the money for flat-rate projects in Upwork is already in escrow and received from the client. Any money deposited into escrow that has been there for over the five days should be already vetted. The only "fraud" I could see after that would be from the freelancer not completing adequate work, but if the client has approved the milestone, that risk should also be eliminated.

Can someone from Upwork tell us the reasoning behind that? I've had milestones that have been set up for weeks but apparently that payment still needs vetted for that entire period. Is there any development in the works for flat-rate projects? Otherwise this sounds like Upwork is having cashflow issues and is leaning on us to compensate. Freelance work should be more popular than ever with positions being eliminated, so I don't imagine freelance hosts like Upwork are hurting.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS