🐈
» Forums » Bulletin Board » We are here for you- COVID-19 Update
Page options
haydenb
Community Member

We are here for you- COVID-19 Update

In troubling and uncertain times like these, we find more meaning than ever in our company mission, which is to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. It is through this lens that we are responding to the current COVID-19 crisis.

There is no higher value than the well-being of our team members, our customers, and our global community. Upwork is monitoring the COVID-19 situation closely and taking the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of our team members, while proactively driving business continuity plans to ensure that we continue to deliver for our customers. 

To ensure the safety of our team members as well as our business continuity, we’ve moved from a hybrid to a fully remote model. Upwork was built on a strong distributed team model, with the majority of our 1,700 team members already working remotely from their home offices in more than 800 cities before this crisis. Those who regularly work in one of our three corporate offices have shifted to working remotely as well. 

As Upwork’s CEO, I’m very aware that self-employed individuals and small-business entrepreneurs often face heightened risks in economic downturns. Upwork is committed to supporting you through this trying time, and we are working hard to ensure that clients know that your skills and talent may be exactly the thing they need to get through the current crisis. 

We have received some questions about Upwork’s approach and want to keep all our customers equally informed, so in addition to sending out emails, we are sharing information here in the Community forums on the steps we are taking and the ways we can help you.

The ways we are all connected have never been clearer, and Upwork remains committed to helping all our community members however we can. In particular, we are working to:

1. Help you maintain business continuity. We are working hard with our clients around the world to ensure that their changing business needs are translating into work opportunities for all of you—particularly in this time when the need for work done remotely is at an all-time high. We are investing in developing new job pipelines for you so that you can find meaningful work opportunities on our platform even as this crisis unfolds. We are also helping our clients successfully adapt to remote work.

2. Support freelancers in a time of need. We are a Founding Partner of the Freelancers Relief Fund, established this week by the Freelancers Union to assist independent workers in the United States who are experiencing financial hardship as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. For more information, visit here.

3. Facilitate your earnings from non-Upwork clients. We are testing a program that gives you the ability to leverage our escrow services and directly invoice your non-Upwork clients. We are here to help you get paid at a time when prior solutions such as cash and checks may not be viable. If you are interested, please sign up here.

4. Accelerate receipt of payments. We have heard from many of you a heightened desire to expedite payments from your Upwork clients. We have established an internal task force that is working on how we might do this, and we will keep you posted on these efforts here in the forums.

Our team is working around the clock to develop new resources for our customers and community, and we will continue to share more as the situation evolves. In the meantime, our thoughts continue to be with each of you during this challenging time. Please stay safe, stay healthy, and stay connected—and let us know how we can help.

Sincerely,

Hayden Brown

President and CEO, Upwork

173 REPLIES 173

Chris V wrote:

I don't think you are getting the bigger picture and how payment protection works as a group insurance plan.  Have you ever paid for any other type of insurance?  If you do not buy the insurance, you don't get coverage but you save money.  Payment protection is essentially a forced insurance plan subsidized by all users, even those that do not wish to purchase it.  I wouldn't be surprised if Upwork outsources this plan to an underwriter.

To answer your question, you would (theoretically) get paid more by being excluded from this insurance plan.  

Each of us has different clients and different relationships with them.  I trust mine to pay me and not scam me due to their reviews and past dealings.  If one of them does not pay me, then that is a risk I take.  I refuse to use the time tracking desktop app, due to privacy concerns, which automatically disqualifies me from payment protection.  There is no reason I should have to contribute to the insurance plan if I don't want the insurance other than to benefit other freelancers that actually utilize the insurance.

As far as what Upwork can and will do was the question I was asking.  You are probably correct that they won't implement anything like this, but I would prefer to hear it from someone that has knowledge of the inner workings and actual accounting numbers.

Ok, using your picture of payment protection works as a group insurance plan.

I have to pay a fixed share of my income as a freelancer into the social security system of the country I live in. I can not opt out saying I am not sick or become unable to work. Yes, in some countries you can save money by not being covered by a health insurance. But what do you do, when you do get sick? Who will cover for the hospital costs?

Anyway, if I wanted to opt out of this group insurance plan I am stuck in by living in Norway, all I had to do is move to another country. So, if people do not want to be covered by the group insurance plan, all they have to do is leave the country platform.

Leaving the platform would eliminate payment protection service fees (as well as many other things), but that would mean losing clients and\or violating contract which really isn't simple or viable. Besides, Upwork has plenty of other great services worth sticking around for.  Looks like I'm stuck in the country platform Smiley Happy.

I think the moral of your story is that Upwork, a publicly traded company, runs their program like a government, which I am inclined to agree with.

Chris V wrote:

I think the moral of your story is that Upwork, a publicly traded company, runs their program like a government, which I am inclined to agree with.

Not really. But it is cheaper to use one solution for everyone and you always fine people with ideas that might benefit them and seem to be implementable without problems but there would be tons of freelancers opting out of the protection and then come here whining. Better not to give them ideas.

g00dboysham
Community Member

do we have covid fund relief for each freelancer from upwork?

John Christopher L wrote:

do we have covid fund relief for each freelancer from upwork?

Upwork is only contributing to a fund for U.S. freelancers, but there may be a similar support fund in your country. Try doing a Google search to find out what options are available to you.

It wouldn't be possible for Upwork to give money to each of its freelancers. There are millions of us, and Upwork is going to be losing a lot of money during the pandemic as well.

many freelancers in my country are working here on upwork, we are also paying service fee.

Im hoping that upwork will have way to help freelancers live in other country

criticalsquid
Community Member

Any ETA on getting us our payments more quickly?

m_nicasio
Community Member

Hi,

I hope that the Upwork service fee will be lowered just this time during COVID crisis.

ajpaezm
Community Member

Hello Hayden and everyone in this community,

I want to know if any of you know a mechanism to speed up pays and how much would it cost me. I won't lie, I would've like to receive them faster and not 5 days later, especially during this situation, and at no cost (for obvious reasons). But I don't want to sound unfair, also noticing that I don't know how the payment process usually flows and why does it take that much time. 

Any guidance is appreciated. 

Best regards,

Aquiles

Hi Aquiles,

We understand your concern around reducing the security period for your withdrawals. We currently have established an internal task force that is working on how we might do this, and we will keep you posted on these efforts.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

For US folks ...

There is some solid info about PUI in this thread

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/COVID-19-Stimulus-Package/td-p/718825/page/2

msayno
Community Member

It will be super nice if you can waive or decrease that 20% fee for new projects; it's tough to find work right now as many clients are affected.  There are many freelancers whose works have been paused because of this pandemic thing.  We're not asking for some sort of humanitarian relief, just this... for now? Fingers crossed.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Marissa,

Thanks for sharing your concerns. We don’t plan to adjust fees. Upwork fees help to cover the costs of acquiring new clients and providing services like payment protection, customer support, and platform infrastructure. We'll continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 closely and notify our customers if there are any changes. Stay safe!

~ Goran
Upwork

Of course not; every other freelancer, even those in small economies, will have to pay to support the freelancers in the USA. How can you write something like this with pride?

Hi Ludovic,

Thanks for reaching out. We value all the independent professionals around the world that use Upwork. Unfortunately, the fund run by Freelancers Union is only able to offer grants within the United States. 

We are working with clients around the world to ensure that their changing business needs are translating into work opportunities for all. We are investing in developing new job pipelines to help independent professionals like you find meaningful work opportunities on our platform even as this crisis unfolds.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Excellent tone deaf corporate reply. Then have the fees you charge on American freelancers fund the help you’re so proud of. I keep working on my country and did not ask for lower taxes here so I can support those who can’t work, but I’m not too keen on the idea of having to chip in to help the workers of the richest country in the world. What a mess. Trying to look like saviors on the backs of others.

To UPWORK **edited for Community Guidelines** my brother just died because of this virus and you are saying im not professional fact is adobe and squarspace support their community and this are companies that will last the crisis and YOU DONT

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Miles. This pandemic affects us all in every way, and I understand how this can be a difficult time for you as well as other freelancers and clients in our Community. 

Please know that the safety and well-being of the Upwork community is our number one priority. At the moment, we aren't aware of any plans to make changes to Connects or offer free ones. We also don’t plan to adjust fees. Upwork fees help to cover the costs of acquiring new clients and providing services like payment protection, customer support, and platform infrastructure. We hope you understand.

We'll continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 closely and notify our customers if there are any changes. 

Stay safe, Miles. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need help regarding your Upwork account, or if you have further concerns.

~ Avery
Upwork
ludovicaoi
Community Member

Quite rich that you have workers from around the world and our work contributes to the relief fund you mention, yet only American freelancers get to access it. The rest keep supporting one of the biggest economies of the world and a private initiative on our backs. Meanwhile, you take more than 200$ from me even in a bad month for a contract that you never had to intervene. And, when you do have to intervene, there's nothing much you do besides provide wrong information and empty promises of investigation. That's a lot of money in € for nothing, which I could use to pay taxes in my country during this difficult time. Fantastic double standards,

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Ludovic,

Serious question. Why do you continue to use a platform you obviously feel is doing you wrong? If I am unhappy with a company’s policies or service, I go elsewhere. This question goes out to all of those complaining that Upwork is unfair. I genuinely want to know why you continue to use it if all you do is complain about it. I believe the answer would be because it affords you opportunities you can’t find elsewhere but I could be wrong so I am requesting insight. What is Upwork doing right that causes you to continue to use it although you obviously aren’t satisfied with it?

Catherine M wrote:

Serious question. Why do you continue to use a platform you obviously feel is doing you wrong? If I am unhappy with a company’s policies or service, I go elsewhere. This question goes out to all of those complaining that Upwork is unfair.

Since this crisis started I've changed the pharmacy, the grocery store ... wherever I see greed or unfairness during this time, I will no longer use those services.

Being a Founding Partner of the US Freelancers Relief Fund on a global community isn't a smart move. I see very few people who comment on it, I didnt want either ... but surely many are boilling inside them. Who knows, long term, how this will change the players in this type of business.

There was an Elance-Odesk earnings report posted sometime in 2014. There were $941M+ freelancer earnings ... 1st in the top was India with $300M+, second the USA with $300M+ ... and some $300M earning generated by the rest of the world. If you take India + the rest of the world that's $600M+ vs $300M+ in the US. I suppose the trend is similar nowadays.

In 2014, Elance-Odesk didn't have a strict freelancer verification process. The $300M+ generated by US freelancers probably included also earnings from freelancers who misrepresented their location.

The safety and well-being of the Upwork community is our number one priority.

Is Upwork community represented only by the US freelancers?

I think it would have served better Upwork if they had a campaign that served the entire "Uwork community".  The people could have had the option to select what country they want to donate to, and either funding freelancers or funding for providing donations to hospitals for example.

I hope that at least they will be offering some donations to charity organisations in other countries, at least to India. Elance, Odesk and Upwork owe it to India ... and to the rest of the world.

Hi Claudia,

Thank you for the thoughtful response although I am not sure it answered my question. I asked why people still use Upwork if they feel it's doing them wrong or is "greedy". Your response, though, did offer a more detailed mindset of those that may feel slighted.

Sometimes, I feel like those who complain target U.S. freelancers too much and not focus on the fact that Upwork is a U.S. company. Being in the United States, it may be easier for Upwork to navigate the laws and policies within this country more so than in other countries. Upwork has said that it is trying to work with other countries to offer support. It doesn't guarantee that anything will come of it. 

I often feel the Upwork community is pitted against one another which is unfortunate. I wonder what would happen if Upwork ever decided to create separate websites for U.S. freelancers and everyone else since it seems that we are the target of ridicule all of the time.

Catherine M wrote:

I asked why people still use Upwork if they feel it's doing them wrong or is "greedy". Your response, though, did offer a more detailed mindset of those that may feel slighted.

Sometimes, I feel like those who complain target U.S. freelancers too much and not focus on the fact that Upwork is a U.S. company. Being in the United States, it may be easier for Upwork to navigate the laws and policies within this country more so than in other countries. Upwork has said that it is trying to work with other countries to offer support. It doesn't guarantee that anything will come of it. 

I often feel the Upwork community is pitted against one another which is unfortunate. I wonder what would happen if Upwork ever decided to create separate websites for U.S. freelancers and everyone else since it seems that we are the target of ridicule all of the time.

I don't think there are many people that come here in the forums and brag about their leaving, they just move on.

Where did Upwork say they are trying to work with other countries to offer support?

"it may be easier for Upwork to navigate the laws and policies within this country more so than in other countries" ... whatever, it's no rocket science to donate to Red Crosses.

I wouldn't expect Upwork to offer support on an "individual" case. It would be overwhelming if not impossible to offer help in the same manner to other countries because there are many categories in a vulnerable situation regardless the existence of a pandemic or not.

"I often feel the Upwork community is pitted against one another which is unfortunate. "

Ummmm, if that happens, what could cause that .... a fund relief like the one Upwork founded could be a reason. Upwork is a U.S. company with a global community.

The U.S. clients already have the option to post a job that only US freelancers can apply to. If the client already has a preference and knows exactly what he wants I think that is good he has this option.

Claudia Z wrote:

Catherine M wrote:

I asked why people still use Upwork if they feel it's doing them wrong or is "greedy". Your response, though, did offer a more detailed mindset of those that may feel slighted.

I don't think there are many people that come here in the forums and brag about their leaving, they just move on.

Point taken.

Where did Upwork say they are trying to work with other countries to offer support?

It was either in this thread or another.  I can't remember. Too many threads on this topic.

"it may be easier for Upwork to navigate the laws and policies within this country more so than in other countries" ... whatever, it's no rocket science to donate to Red Crosses.

Yes, but if they donated to the Red Cross, it can be done anonymously. Another thing, other are looking for direct relief. There would be complaints that the money should have been given directly to the freelancer. It doesn't take rocket science to see that scenario playing out.

I wouldn't expect Upwork to offer support on an "individual" case. It would be overwhelming if not impossible to offer help in the same manner to other countries because there are many categories in a vulnerable situation regardless the existence of a pandemic or not.

"I often feel the Upwork community is pitted against one another which is unfortunate. "

Ummmm, if that happens, what could cause that .... a fund relief like the one Upwork founded could be a reason. Upwork is a U.S. company with a global community.

The U.S. clients already have the option to post a job that only US freelancers can apply to. If the client already has a preference and knows exactly what he wants I think that is good he has this option.

Yes, but that option is still housed on the global platform. My comment referred to what would happen if they created an entirely separate platform for U.S. workers since the U.S. freelancer seems to be the scapegoat for several things that don't go right on Upwork. Oh I know, we would probably still be targeted and  there would be the accusation that all the good jobs are on the U.S. platform.

Thanks again for the  dialogue. Peace.

Catherine M wrote:

Yes, but that option is still housed on the global platform. My comment referred to what would happen if they created an entirely separate platform for U.S. workers since the U.S. freelancer seems to be the scapegoat for several things that don't go right on Upwork. Oh I know, we would probably still be targeted and  there would be the accusation that all the good jobs are on the U.S. platform.

Why do you insist that the US freelancers have a blame, are targeted or are accused of something? You are manipulating the conversation to make something else out of it. I was talking about Upwork's actions. 

Point is that Upwork's communication goes like "We are here for you ... we've created a Relief Fund for the U.S. freelancers" .... and for the rest of the platform we've got plenty of empty words of compassion.

It doesn't make sense to open a micro website for a market that is proven to generate less then 30% off your entire operations, and that is interconnected to your other 70%, unless you create a bridge to allow either side to switch between global and local.... it just doesn't make sense. Maybe only if Upwork starts acting like a recruiter for on-site/local independent contractors, that is another story.

This reading is kind of surprising and I think you're doing a biased interpretation of what I said. I never stated that Upwork is not beneficial for me.

I pay taxes as a freelancer in my country. The state gave me the chance to parcel my monthly contributions to help during the crisis. I said no because I make enough money and I can contribute to social welfare, as there are others in my country that can't work and the state needs any possible contribution to help those in most need.

Upwork works differently. Many from poorer communities and countries have asked in this thread if there will be any reductions on the fees or helps. Your gurus said "No" while the main post stated that the company will contribute to freelancers of a specific country.

" If I am unhappy with a company’s policies or service, I go elsewhere" the FRF from the Freelancer's Union was announced in March 2020. I've been a freelancer since 2015. What is this bait of a question? Why would I stop the good relations I have with my clients for something that was announced weeks ago, to which Upwork had no prior history with? Where in my agreement did it ever say "Your contributions will help the FRF, the exclusively american fund to help american freelancers"? This is not a previously announced measure that I could consider when signing up with this service.

This is a neoliberal talking point. "Well, if you don't like your job, why don't you get another one?"

"What is Upwork doing right that causes you to continue to use it although you obviously aren’t satisfied with it?"

Catherine, because even European companies are trying to make a profit by exploiting a loophole Upwork gave them, which allows them to work with European workers and enjoy the instability of currency while stripping workers from their rights. People that have rents to pay and families to feed, meaning that workers with responsibilities have to submit to certain things so they can make ends meet. The European work culture has shifted dramatically since the last crisis and workers had to adapt to companies wanting to restrict worker's rights. This has been a serious problem in Portugal since the "recibos verdes" reform was created.

Let me repeat this: I never stated that Upwork was not beneficial for me. I keep working as I did before and I would not need access to any relief fund right now. However, my principles might be different from yours, being raised in a social-democratic country, where everyone contributes and help funds first reach those in urgent need. In Upwork's case, this act shows quite a different principle: the company takes from a global community to donate to a fund that aids exclusively freelancers in America. How many in the Freelancers Union really do work with Upwork?

Also, Working Today INC (the organization behind the FRF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Charity contributions to companies with this status are tax-deductible. The justification that it's easy for Upwork to act on american society because it's an american company is pretty lame. Contributing exclusively to the FRF is just a tax benefit for Upwork while acting globally would really be a philanthropic act. This is no charity, this is creative accounting. Upwork is a listed company, so there are people to please. I recognize I might be wrong, though, as american fiscal policy is not my expertise.

Let me end this rant by saying that I'm not looking for benefits myself and my observations were in favour of those in real need. I'm not opposing help to the Freelancer's Union. I'm saying that this help needs to be extended to be fair. As it stands, it's quite the opposite.

Catherine, Ludovic and others,

A few posts have been removed from this thread. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines, respectful toward other Community members and their opinions and refrain from making personal attacks in your posts.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I like 2% fee after 20k earning, i think it's fair and not many people reach that amount so i think it won't hurt upwork to do that new fee

ruhulodesk
Community Member

Hi Hayden, Thanks for the COVID-19 crisis Update. This is the World Economy Problem and we will get rid of this crisis soon. 

Thanks!

Ruhul

safakkiziltug
Community Member

Hello,

I would suggest reconsidering the connect policy. It would be great to have free connects during this crisis period. 

Yeah Upwork cant Affordable 12 dollars but smugle 50 USD from my project This service is done
sufi4
Community Member

Its great. Also please allow freelancers to apply jobs with 2 connects and make profile visibility public ever.
joywriter
Community Member

Hi guys,

Here are some reasons why I think Upwork is also doing a great job and why I belive reducing costs for connects and submitting applications would only lead to just overwhelming clients:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Compassion-and-consideration-in-these-difficult-times/m-...

Let me know what you think!

Best,

Hugo

jacqueline_payne
Community Member

Hi! Hayden,

I am so grateful to be on Upwork and do look forward to bagging my very first job. Although I was wondering when will I get my first invitation to be interviewed?

I am waiting patiently, although I do appreciate this platform to earn a living and work from home. I am the only earning member as my husband is disabled with degenerate spinal disc disease..

Hoping to make this my platform to earn a living for my family.

Sincerely,

Jacqueline Payne

Hi Jacqueline,

Please check my reply on this separate thread you created.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
psicogab
Community Member

More than 3 close friends who works in this platform have reported the same problem: Delayed Payments. I have more than 2 years working on the platform and I have never experienced a similar problem with my withdrawal. 

We asked the customer support and they gave us the same silly answer about "your payment has been processed and you need to wait 8 days and then back to us".... PLEASE. 

We need our money from OUR work more than ever with COVID-19 that is a good help for us. Get paid in time and don't retain our money for 2-3 weeks + 1 week that we need to wait. 

It's not fair. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gabriela, 

I understand how this can be very important at this time. Our team is still looking into solutions that will allow for the security period to be reduced while maintaining a high level of protection users' payments currently have. We'll update the Community once we receive feedback from our Product team but I can confirm that our team is not considering reducing the timeline for automatically releasing Escrow funds.

While we continue to test ways to get freelancers' earnings faster to them, at this point we are not able to offer a shorter security period for all transactions. Security remains to be our priority. If there are any updates regarding this feature, we'll make sure to announce it here in the Community. 

~ Avery
Upwork
robyk
Community Member

Hey awesome guys at Upwork,
Another idea that comes into mind is if you could reduce comissions for bigger/longer projects. 
Drop the 5% to 2% or 0% for a limited time to help long term freelancers on your platform too
Or maybe temporarily reduce the $10,000 threshold for the % reduction. It would help a lot of your freelancers

ajpaezm
Community Member

My commentary will be very mixed, but I think it makes sense.

To be honest I feel there's not much to be done here. I've seen some suggestions that I don't think will benefit the platform, these are:

- Allowing the user to have free connects (we will have people applying to every job possible and that will worsen the selection process for a candidate). Perhaps there could be a way to help on this, but it can't be by making them free every time.

- Getting rid of the fees from the platform (well, this is the way Upwork as a company makes its income, right? Without proper income to function as they need to, they will lower standards and we will suffer most likely because most of us can get good work over here). 

What I think its an area of improvement definitively is the timing to receive the payments. 5-6 days is too much under this situation. Yes, in confinement some expenses have been reduced but every situation at home is difficult and unique on its own, some of us might be the caretakers of a sick family member or something related to that, and those things can't wait (my case). 

I like the jobs that I get here but I sympathize with some of the people that say some things are unfair. And at the same time I don't feel there's not much to do with that, even so, the website fulfills its purpose most of the time (and I think that's a strong ground to step in). 

Some things can improve? Certainly so. But during these difficult times, I'm not really sure if the efforts made by the Upwork team on some matters will actually come to light during this surreal and horrible episode the whole world is going through. They must be a bit cohibited to some extent too because of this situation. 

So in summary: I like Upwork and will surely continue to use it, but I don't think we'll see any changes any time soon. And I hope you guys don't take my skepticism too harshly. 

Stay safe and good luck to everyone. 

I completely agree with what you said.

It is a very difficult time, I’m just grateful to work through Upwork!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths