Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are here for you- COVID-19 Update

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Annemarie S Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
71 of 165

I totally support shortening the time between having a milestone approved and having funds available. I really don't see why it can't be instantaneous because the money is in escrow from the moment the job is set up so you have plenty of time for security checks.

Highlighted
Diana K Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
72 of 165

I prefer the payment system Elance had where funds were released without the extended wait. At the very least, it should be reduced from five days. 

Highlighted
Emmanuel I Member Since: Oct 22, 2017
73 of 165
Very thoughtful plans from Upwork management, kudos!

I’d like to suggest reducing the payment times, like the 5-day lag (for fixed-price jobs) from when a milestone is approved up until when a freelancer can withdraw it.

I believe doing this would be very helpful for enabling freelancers access funds in a timely fashion.

Cheers!
Highlighted
Mike B Member Since: Mar 26, 2020
74 of 165
Wow what happened? Expedite payments, is business so bad you’re willing to dial down the nickel n diming of contractors?
J/k, cool idea w/ the escrow, would use.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Elyannie W Member Since: Nov 21, 2017
75 of 165

Hi Hayden, Thanks for your message and for looking out for us freelancers. I think freelancers and the Upwork community might benefit from some new ad campaigns. I haven't seen many ads on youtube lately and wonder if that could be a reason why there seems to be less client traffic on this site. This has just been my personal observation but perhaps others out there might feel similarly? Perhaps others can weigh in with a kudos? Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Diana K Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
76 of 165
I've also noticed a slowdown on the site, though I assume it's to do with
the virus.

Highlighted
Frank G Member Since: Jun 24, 2019
77 of 165

A step in the right direction.  Thank you for the update.

One policy that would make a huge difference would be to reduce the wait time from the time funds are released and when they are available for withdrawal.

It can make a huge difference for a freelancer who made $500 for a project, to get his/her $400 deposit in less than 8 days as it is the average now.

Also, the Instant Pay never worked for me (it keeps failing) so looking int this would be highly appreciated now more than ever.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Wayne G Member Since: Mar 14, 2018
78 of 165

Frank G wrote:

Also, the Instant Pay never worked for me (it keeps failing) so looking int this would be highly appreciated now more than ever.

I had the same problem with my instant pay. Upwork blamed my bank. My bank had no idea of it. But they said id need to get on the phone with customer service while (shortly before) i was trying to activate it so they could see it and manually approve it.

I never did that. but one day, a few days later, it just suddenly started working.

Highlighted
Iesha B Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
79 of 165

One thing that would help as well would be if upwork would impose some type of minimum payment for their freelancers. I see clients asking for books to be written for PENNIES and it's hard not to accept such low jobs if you need the money even if you've been doing this (like I have) for five years. Shorter payment times would be nice as well as not letting clients hold onto work for DAYS AND DAYS before they release payment. 

Highlighted
Carmen Regina J Member Since: Mar 26, 2020
80 of 165

Hello, 

About this topic: 4. Accelerate receipt of payments, I want to give a suggestion, Hayden B.

I work for a client, who only pays to upwork after the work is delivered and approved, so for me this 5 days of pending payment is unfair.

You could give for the client the option to choose if they need this 5 days of confirmation or if they do not.

When they do not, upwork could set the money available.

Sincerely,

Carmen Jacob Kerne

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS