cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We’re excited! Today we announced that we’ve signed an agreement to merge with Elance.

Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
11 of 219
I work at both too. Both are ok. I even do some works at freelancer.com sometimes, but tend to avoid it if possible. The wages tend to fluctuate for me. A few months ago I was getting the best job offers here at oDesk, recently I'm getting them at Elance. I guess the merge has a lot to do with freelancer.com becoming a massive site after they bought all the competence. I hope this helps them standing against the beast, because that site treats their freelancers like crap.
Ilya G Member Since: Jan 28, 2010
12 of 219
Indeed, Elance uses levels. But it's algorithm is simply broken. You can easily find many developers with just one small completed job, no tests etc etc which can have higher level than some other developers, with dozens of jobs (with feedback score greater than 4.5 out of 5), top results in tests etc.
Maninder S Member Since: Jun 24, 2010
13 of 219
I agree with John, Elance has high paying jobs and better clients than Odesk.
Sumit A Member Since: Feb 23, 2013
14 of 219
I love oDesk. Odesk is better then Elance. And 10$ per month is not affordable for us.
Ubong J Member Since: Dec 19, 2013
15 of 219
I don't know about any "heaps of bugs" on oDesk. But I know one thing that we all know and can all agree on: Elance Clients Pays far Better than oDesk's. I hope this changes doesn't infest Elance platform with the low paying clients of oDesk. On Elance, if you include $15+ per hour in a job application and you do not get that job there's a 95% chance that the job was awarded to someone with better skills or ideas and less than 5% chance that your budget was too high. The reverse is the case on oDesk. oDesk should really do something about that. It's very frustrating and discouraging to see a website design job that the client is not willing to pay more than $50. Both platforms are awesome and they have done a tremendous job independent of each other over the years. If they believe that merging together will boost their credibility even further, then they should, but only after resolving their "individual issues". As freelancers and employers, we must remember that changes are just normal aspect of our everyday lives. We should try to look for the best in every situation. The managers of the two platforms says the merging will do more good than harm, let's believe in them until we have a reason not to. I wish the Elance and oDesk freelancers and employers the very best. I wish the both teams and management a successful merging and better working environment now and in the years ahead. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Advanced.
sajjad a Member Since: Apr 28, 2010
16 of 219
I worked on both but I feel easy working on Odesk.
Muhammad Faisal R Member Since: Dec 22, 2012
17 of 219
you talked good about elance but tell that why such a nice company (elance according to you!!) is going to merge with bad reputed odesk(according to you)? there are many things which elance dont have but odesk has and vice versa...so both agreed on to merge ..its not one sided ....odesk is overall best i believe
David R Member Since: Dec 26, 2011
18 of 219
I too hate how Elance charges freelancers to work, like paying the percentage isn't enough. AND we get to pay to take tests on Elance. Why? Because they can get even more money, that's why. It's not like there's a human grading the exam. This is bad news. Like when vWorker went away.
Ace Contributor
Maria F Member Since: Feb 1, 2010
19 of 219
Either that or you are just terribly ignorant. Elance DOES NOT charge freelancers to work. The basic membership which has exactly the absolute same features as the ones on oDesk (actually, more, as it has escrow as well) is FREE. You don't pay for it anything else other than the percentage which is LOWER than oDesks. Elance however offers you a range of paid options which are are not obligated to purchase. Again - Elance offers a free basic subscription and an optional range of paid subscriptions and addon services. As for the paid exams on Elance, they are significantly more difficult and harder to game, the test platform is less buggy and they the questions change fully every year.
Ace Contributor
Joseph O Member Since: Feb 4, 2009
20 of 219
Because of recent developments, I reactivated my Elance account which has been dormant for a long time, and indeed, much had changed, which is good for the site. However, in my niche which is transcription, I found out that the free membership only offers one category you can choose to work in. Mine is transcription, so naturally I'd go for transcription jobs, but lo and behold, some employers post their transcription jobs on other categories, thus a contractor with a free membership that is of different categories, let's say, Transcription is barred from applying to that job post. This is where the paid $10 per month subscription kicks in. If you want to increase your categories, you have to pay and have a hassle-free bidding process. This is the benefit of being a paid member, it bars the free-membership contractor from other opportunities, unlike in oDesk where it's a free for all. But all in all, comparing the two, I'd go for oDesk at this time....
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS