cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We’re excited! Today we announced that we’ve signed an agreement to merge with Elance.

Susan B Member Since: Jan 29, 2013
31 of 219
I agree. I have had a profile on Elance for some time but have not bid on anything because of the structure. I, too, came to Odesk because it was NOT Elance. I do not see this merger as a positive for Odesk contractors. Susan
Mohammad Shoeb A Member Since: Feb 24, 2010
32 of 219
My first client on elance was a fraud. It was a lady who wanted a website in 3 days and minimal requirement in the job description and when the project started, she started increasing her demands. But at the same time experienced bad client here as well who wanted to run away without payment and I have to nearly fight a battle to get the payment for the hard work done for him. I guess it depends on clients more than platform....
Naser Fahad J Member Since: Sep 12, 2010
33 of 219
I have account in both oDesk and Elance. I think oDesk is more user friendly, wire transfer is faster in oDesk and I also think it is very easy to find a job in oDesk rather than Elance.
Md. Mustafizur R Member Since: Dec 21, 2012
34 of 219
[quote=Naser Fahad Jinnah]I have account in both oDesk and Elance. I think oDesk is more user friendly, wire transfer is faster in oDesk and I also think it is very easy to find a job in oDesk rather than Elance.[/quote]

X2

Rupinder S Member Since: Jan 31, 2011
35 of 219
If Elance is better then why Odesk has success story so far ? The reasons for merger is something not new as these reasons were there when Odesk started then what made them realise that they need to merge now and lose their own odentity ! Elance will surely kill hourly working model of Odesk and it will become more like what Elance has currently . My best bet is that Gary S has realised that Odesk has reached the saturation having current working model of fixed and hourly jobs. I am sure he must be having some other plan for himself so its like he is moving on and Odesk is going to be Elance sooner or later with everything scrapped whether its unique hourly jobs model and other things so guys its going to be Elance only whether you like it or not. I believe this merger will create vacuum for a new player to come up with something unique like Odes did earlier... Good Luck Mr. Gary S but we have never expected that you will leave it like this !
Mollie C Member Since: Apr 23, 2010
36 of 219
Hi Rupinder, the plan is for oDesk.com and Elance.com to continue to operate as separate platforms. We are committed to not only keeping your experience at the same level of quality, but improving it. Thank you for sharing your concerns.
MUHAMMAD ATEEQ E Member Since: Dec 18, 2010
37 of 219
[quote=Rupinder S.]If Elance is better then why Odesk has success story so far ? The reasons for merger is something not new as these reasons were there when Odesk started then what made them realise that they need to merge now and lose their own odentity ! Elance will surely kill hourly working model of Odesk and it will become more like what Elance has currently . My best bet is that Gary S has realised that Odesk has reached the saturation having current working model of fixed and hourly jobs. I am sure he must be having some other plan for himself so its like he is moving on and Odesk is going to be Elance sooner or later with everything scrapped whether its unique hourly jobs model and other things so guys its going to be Elance only whether you like it or not. I believe this merger will create vacuum for a new player to come up with something unique like Odes did earlier... Good Luck Mr. Gary S but we have never expected that you will leave it like this ![/quote]
Ramalingam G Member Since: Mar 21, 2009
38 of 219
The actual reason for me to adhere with oDesk is once upon a time there was a problem in transferring payment through PayOneer debit cards, oDesk helps me and really takes care of my funds easily transferred to India. At the same time, Elance did not care. I hate Elance.
Mireia C Member Since: May 27, 2013
39 of 219
Competition is the best way for freelancers/clients in ALL industries. I like to have more alternatives to choose. So I do not like merging 2 companies. I am in both and I like them separate. Personally I prefer Odesk to Elance, but that is irrelevant because every freelancer/client has different opinion and needs. We have to fight together and let the CEOs know we do not like merging the two companies! More companies = More competition = More innovation and prices! One company = High prices = Poor upgrades...
Anthony A Member Since: Sep 7, 2013
40 of 219
I think you are dead on. One of the reasons I built my business on odesk was Elance suspended my account for one month because one of my clients (and the smallest at that) had trouble paying through their system and so, after I encouraged him to talk with Elance, paid my directly anyway. That $4.50 in commissions that Elance didn't get because of their error, would have cost my 1 month worth of business if not for odesk. That was a huge wakeup call. It almost put me out of business. Competition is good. Now I get to build up another backup on another freelancer website - of which there are many - it's just a pain.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS