cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We’re excited! Today we announced that we’ve signed an agreement to merge with Elance.

Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
41 of 219
[quote=Gary S.] I also have a personal announcement. I’ve decided that after the merger closes I will step aside and hand the reins of the merged company to Fabio Rosati, Elance’s CEO. I will remain involved as a strategic advisor. We have been spirited business rivals over the years, but I have always respected Fabio.[/quote] Why would this make us happy? Gary Swart IS oDesk. I wonder why is Gary happy about no longer being oDesk CEO Smiley Sad Gary, you can be exited about this, but don't expect everyone else to be..sad news Smiley Sad Who knows what changes Mister Fabio will bring to oDesk, he might want to make us pay to look for jobs, just like he does at Elance.
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
42 of 219
A small $10 fee per month for a chance to earn thousands and detailed statistics about how you rank in the marketplace. Which gives you insight on how you can improve your ranking. On elance rankings are mainly based on how much you earn. The more you earn the higher your ranking and higher level and thus the higher you appear in the contractor search results. Under bidding on elance penalizes your rankings, so low bidders will be lower in the search results. That's one bet I already take on Elance and its paying off big time! Professionals will rise to the top, less spam bids and low ballers will always be at the bottom of the rankings and get less jobs and will eventually be phased out of the marketplace
Doreen M Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
43 of 219
[quote=John B.]A small $10 fee per month for a chance to earn thousands and detailed statistics about how you rank in the marketplace. Which gives you insight on how you can improve your ranking. On elance rankings are mainly based on how much you earn. The more you earn the higher your ranking and higher level and thus the higher you appear in the contractor search results. Under bidding on elance penalizes your rankings, so low bidders will be lower in the search results. That's one bet I already take on Elance and its paying off big time! Professionals will rise to the top, less spam bids and low ballers will always be at the bottom of the rankings and get less jobs and will eventually be phased out of the marketplace[/quote] The "10 fee per month" may be affordable (2 - 3 hours work a year) but the fact of the matter is that NO ONE should have to pay to work. They also charge more than oDesk for PayPal transfers and some of their other policies are way different than oDesk. -- you actually hit on the right phrase "for a chance to earn" Smiley Happy HA Freelancers shouldn't be any different than anyone else in this case: NO ONE should have to pay to look for work.
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
44 of 219
Elance has a free membership. No one has to pay. Elance has lower fees. Elance has no bugs. IF you pay you get premium features which give you insight on how you can improve. On oDesk we have no idea how the rankings work, everyone knows that the way oDesk ranks contractors is stupid. It's just not relevant. For example I have done 261 jobs, with over 20 with XSLT, when I search just in Australasia for "XSLT" i come up third. The person in the first position has done 2 jobs. How the fark can someone who has got 1 feedback rank higher than me? Its just not logical.
Ace Contributor
Maria F Member Since: Feb 1, 2010
45 of 219
I find it hilarious that even after I called Doreen our repeatedly on this crap "Elance makes you pay to work" she still insists on it. I wonder why she is doing that... Doreen, one more time, maybe if I repeat it in a slightly different way it will sink in this time: image that you enter into a restaurant that offers free soup and a range of menus. Let's say I want and can afford to eat stake. Is the guy next to me eating soup justified in calling the waiter and making a fuss that I am eating stake therefore his soup is no longer free? Even though he was never charged for it? Because in your logic, that is exactly what it means. Elance merging with oDesk is bad news because I am sure that the nonexistent customer support and poor decision-making that have plagued odesk in the past year will make its way to Elance, a plaform where I can charge more and where I never had any issues with money, abusive clients or spammy freelancers. I am afraid Elance quality will decay because oDesk is, in fact, a rotten apple.
46 of 219
[quote=Maria F.]I find it hilarious that even after I called Doreen our repeatedly on this crap "Elance makes you pay to work" she still insists on it. I wonder why she is doing that... Doreen, one more time, maybe if I repeat it in a slightly different way it will sink in this time: image that you enter into a restaurant that offers free soup and a range of menus. Let's say I want and can afford to eat stake. Is the guy next to me eating soup justified in calling the waiter and making a fuss that I am eating stake therefore his soup is no longer free? Even though he was never charged for it? Because in your logic, that is exactly what it means. Elance merging with oDesk is bad news because I am sure that the nonexistent customer support and poor decision-making that have plagued odesk in the past year will make its way to Elance, a plaform where I can charge more and where I never had any issues with money, abusive clients or spammy freelancers. I am afraid Elance quality will decay because oDesk is, in fact, a rotten apple.[/quote] Maria as usual you have nothing useful to add to a conversation. You consistently want people to think the way you think and everyone else is an idiot. It's steak not stake (stake is a piece of wood) Give me a break: In the brick and mortar world if you were offered a position where you paid your employer 120 dollars a year for "searching for opportunities" or a position where you could search opportunities for free don't tell me you wouldn't take the free one. I've done tons of research on all the freelancing sites out there: oDesk is FAR from perfect but for MOST freelancers it's the best of them. I don't really care if you disagree with my opinion but don't you DARE call me a liar -- If you want more than a basic subscription where you can access any real opportunities, Elance charges you -- oDesk doesn't. I have devoted a LOT of time to researching both and Elance BITES for MANY (not all) freelancers. I have far more hours than you do here and I command a much better rate than you do clearly so please don't talk down to me like some two year old: Read the Elance and oDesk TOS and it's like comparing apples to oranges. Read How much does Elance cost and then tell me it's free. Your "40" connects get you crap as explained here: [Quote] Connects Job Type 0 Invited Jobs 1 All Hourly Jobs OR Fixed Price Jobs less than or equal to $500 2 Fixed Price Jobs greater than $500, including unspecified job values 3 Featured Jobs +4 Sponsored Proposals[/quote] This means at the MAXIMUM for UNPAID membership I can pay for 40 applications a month assuming they are hourly or pay less than an overall $500......that's of course in comparison to what is more like 125 for me here Plus on top of that you get to invoice the clients Invoicing Unlike oDesk who guarantees hourly assignments because that's how you were hired, your client has to agree to the "payment guarantee on Elance" [quote]Both freelancers and clients must agree to use Work View™. Freelancers and clients must agree and set the number of Authorized Hours per week in the job's terms. The client must have a valid payment method established. The freelancer must use Tracker with Work View™ turned on while performing the work. Hours billed must be documented by Work View™ screenshots and comments. The freelancer must have an Elance account in good standing In order to process the claim, Elance may re-verify the member's identity, account and bank information.[/quote] Unlike many people I DO MY HOMEWORK
Ace Contributor
47 of 219
You apply again the same technique I saw in other places: leave the main argument and make some other with little to no relation with the present one (such as the stake-steak). To make a statement starting with "more than a basic subscription" (aka, implicitly accepting that they are giving a free basic service) and still claim Elance charges you to work it's just...incomprehensible. Then you proceed to say: [quote]"This means at the MAXIMUM for UNPAID membership I can pay for 40 applications a month" [/quote] er....you pay for the unpaid membership? or do you pay for 40 applications that are freely included in the basic membership? But yes, how dare I call you a liar? Again, answer this (you never did that, just changed the discussion): if some company offers Product 1 for free and Product 2 with better features than product 1 (be it stake or steak) for pay, does that mean that Product 1 ceases to exist? Does it mean that Product 1 is no longer free simply because product 2 exists? Can you in fact manage a successful business on Elance without having paid ever? The answer is YES. I did exactly that. So saying that Elance makes you pay to work when until recently I didn't pay anything else in addition to the 8.75% commission is a lie. I believe that is what makes you a liar. The first quote you gave is not what you get for 40 connects. It is how much you use for each of the job types. For instance, you don't get 0 invited jobs as you claim, you use 0 connects to apply to a job where you are invited to. You don't get 1 hourly job, you use 1 connect to apply to an hourly job. This means if you apply only to hourly you get 40 of them. Not 1, but 40. So how exactly does that equal 125 on oDesk? Are you applying some calculus rules I am not aware of where 1+1 does not equal 2? Are you getting 125 applications from oDesk? But yes, how dare I call you a liar? The second quote you give is practically the same policy as oDesk. The jobs which are not guaranteed are specially marked (btw, I am yet to meet one hourly where the client did not agree to use WorkView). You conveniently forget to mention the Escrow service. Oh, yes, and conveniently forget to mention how WorkView is an opt-out service, not an opt-in (actually, you lied implying it's opt-in). I still maintain you are just full of it. Elance offers FREE basic services (of similar or even better level than oDEsk) and paid Premium and expansion services on the off-chance that my business strategy is not the same as the business strategy of a data-entry freelancer or of a marketing expert or of an Android development company. oDesk gives the same options to all freelancers and no way to enhance your presence. That is like living in a country where high school is free but going to university is forbidden by law. Lastly, Doreen, just because you could not get jobs on Elance does not make Elance a bad service. It just means you failed.
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
48 of 219
I wish there were a "like" button on this forum. "....... you use 1 connect to apply to an hourly job. This means if you apply only to hourly you get 40 of them. ......." I like the idea that you can use the connects to push your application to the top; this comes in very handy when you feel you are a good match for the job profile. Also, limited connects = limited spamming of applicants. It also forces you to be selective when applying for jobs. I often wonder how on earth clients cope when they have to sift through pages of applicants.
49 of 219
[quote=Maria F.]You apply again the same technique I saw in other places: leave the main argument and make some other with little to no relation with the present one (such as the stake-steak). To make a statement starting with "more than a basic subscription" (aka, implicitly accepting that they are giving a free basic service) and still claim Elance charges you to work it's just...incomprehensible. Then you proceed to say: [quote]"This means at the MAXIMUM for UNPAID membership I can pay for 40 applications a month" [/quote] er....you pay for the unpaid membership? or do you pay for 40 applications that are freely included in the basic membership? But yes, how dare I call you a liar? Again, answer this (you never did that, just changed the discussion): if some company offers Product 1 for free and Product 2 with better features than product 1 (be it stake or steak) for pay, does that mean that Product 1 ceases to exist? Does it mean that Product 1 is no longer free simply because product 2 exists? Can you in fact manage a successful business on Elance without having paid ever? The answer is YES. I did exactly that. So saying that Elance makes you pay to work when until recently I didn't pay anything else in addition to the 8.75% commission is a lie. I believe that is what makes you a liar. The first quote you gave is not what you get for 40 connects. It is how much you use for each of the job types. For instance, you don't get 0 invited jobs as you claim, you use 0 connects to apply to a job where you are invited to. You don't get 1 hourly job, you use 1 connect to apply to an hourly job. This means if you apply only to hourly you get 40 of them. Not 1, but 40. So how exactly does that equal 125 on oDesk? Are you applying some calculus rules I am not aware of where 1+1 does not equal 2? Are you getting 125 applications from oDesk? But yes, how dare I call you a liar? The second quote you give is practically the same policy as oDesk. The jobs which are not guaranteed are specially marked (btw, I am yet to meet one hourly where the client did not agree to use WorkView). You conveniently forget to mention the Escrow service. Oh, yes, and conveniently forget to mention how WorkView is an opt-out service, not an opt-in (actually, you lied implying it's opt-in). I still maintain you are just full of it. Elance offers FREE basic services (of similar or even better level than oDEsk) and paid Premium and expansion services on the off-chance that my business strategy is not the same as the business strategy of a data-entry freelancer or of a marketing expert or of an Android development company. oDesk gives the same options to all freelancers and no way to enhance your presence. That is like living in a country where high school is free but going to university is forbidden by law. Lastly, Doreen, just because you could not get jobs on Elance does not make Elance a bad service. It just means you failed.[/quote] Maria, the fact that I couldn't get jobs on Elance is solely because I didn't bother to pursue them. I didn't fail, I simply failed to follow up. Yes, my "pay for 40 assignments" is a typo - sue me. I'm done arguing with you because you refuse to see what's right there in the terms of service. As a freelance writer, I should take more care with my words -- clearly. The fact is that (a) Elance limits the number of assignments you can bid on with an unpaid membership to a maximum of 40 per month (oDesk it's at least twice that) (b) Elance has a lot of weird clauses in their documents that make their guarantee slightly different than oDesks: I don't trust some of the wording. Elances "free basic service" is NOT equivalent -- and no where NEAR -- better than oDesk because of these limitations. If you want to "promote your submission you use your "connects" meaning for each time you use a connect, that's one less application you can submit. Not to mention the fact that their "categories" are all stretched out meaning you can only elect ONE category with the free membership *unlike oDesk where you get free access to *all* assignments. Like everything else, to each his own. I prefer oDesk and nothing will make me convert to Elance, even this "merger". I am pleased you've been successful at Elance, not everyone has been and that's not always the freelancers fault.
Ace Contributor
50 of 219
[quote]...Elance...maximum of 40 for month (oDesk it's at least twice that) [/quote] On oDesk you have a maximum job application quota of 25. On Elance you have 40 "connects". No matter how I turn it or look at it, 25 is not the double of 40. [quote]Elance limits the number of assignments you can bid on with an unpaid membership to a maximum of 40 per month [/quote] It does no such thing. You get 40 connects included in the basic free membership. You can purchase extra connects if you want. Here you get 25 and that's it. If you're out, you're out. [quote]Elances "free basic service" is NOT equivalent -- and no where NEAR... [/quote] HELLO!!! Don't you feel a slight cognitive dissonance between this and the "Elance makes you pay to work"? Because there is a huge difference between "Services X does not exist" to "Service X is lower in value than Service Y". [quote]If you want to "promote your submission you use your "connects" meaning for each time you use a connect, that's one less application you can submit. [/quote] I see that as a big advantage. On oDesk I always have about half the quote unused and with no way to use it. On Elance I can define a strategy that allows me to bid on a select no. of jobs and promote my profile every time. My chances of getting hired actually increase with smart use of connects instead of being left with them. The big advantage of the Elance bidding system is exactly that it accommodates a larger no. of use-cases. [quote]nothing will make me convert to Elance [/quote] Nobody will make you. The more I read here and on Elance, as well as discussing with the Elance country mentors, the more convinced I am there will be no combination of the 2 services. That, at least is a huge stone off my shoulders. I think they did this to diminish development, operational, customer support and fraud prevention costs. Pulling information for fraud for instance will be a great advantage for both services as people will not be able to jump from one to the next and back again. Looking at the strategy of the 2 companies, looking at the services offered, it makes no sense to combine them. oDesk's core users are temporary / part-time freelancers. This group needs a fast and simple way to bid, work and invoice. Elance core users are small companies and full-time freelancers, aka people who need a way to promote profiles, to target different type of jobs, etc. This does not mean you will not find the other group there, but the services are not tailored for their needs.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS