cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We’re excited! Today we announced that we’ve signed an agreement to merge with Elance.

David B Member Since: Aug 9, 2007
51 of 219
If you call my 5 year history on oDesk temporary you are dreaming.
Kamal U Member Since: Jul 22, 2011
52 of 219
[quote=Maria F]On oDesk you have a maximum job application quota of 25. On Elance you have 40 "connects". No matter how I turn it or look at it, 25 is not the double of 40.[/quote] On Odesk Job Application quota adjust every Week. Then 25x4=100 but on Elance only 40 connects that adjust every month. So Odesk Job quota is more than Double of Elance.
Doreen M Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
53 of 219
[quote] Elance limits the number of assignments you can bid on with an unpaid membership to a maximum of 40 per month It does no such thing. You get 40 connects included in the basic free membership. You can purchase extra connects if you want. Here you get 25 and that's it. If you're out, you're out.[/quote] Really? Do you understand basic math at all? Elance gives you MAXIMUM 40 connects with free membership right? Yes, you admit this much. At oDesk the 25 refresh every 7 days - therefore at a MINIMUM you get 100 a month [quote]I see that as a big advantage. On oDesk I always have about half the quote unused and with no way to use it. On Elance I can define a strategy that allows me to bid on a select no. of jobs and promote my profile every time. My chances of getting hired actually increase with smart use of connects instead of being left with them. The big advantage of the Elance bidding system is exactly that it accommodates a larger no. of use-cases.[/quote] And since users can determine how many connects to use to promote their profile this helps how? You could use up a number of connects promoting your profile to an assignment to find out that someone "outbid" you - competition is higher when there are more freelancers. I also take issue with the fact that your "categories" are limited at Elance: There are a number of locations where clients can post writing assignments and if you're the unlucky "free" membership writer, you only have access to ONE category.
David B Member Since: Aug 9, 2007
54 of 219
The credits for a free membership are 40, 10/week and if you bid on 40 jobs and you don't lend any of that 40 jobs you can sit on your ass for one month and wait to get some connects to do more job applications. Because unlike here on oDesk you don't get your credits back if you don't get the job or cancel your application or the client takes to long to choose someone. Plus to promote your bid can cost you from 1 - 4 connects. So you can run out in a blink of an eye of the 40 connects. And the result is you need to buy connects to apply to more jobs. There are so many issues on Elance I came across, but I will post them only if someone is really interested.
Dave R Member Since: Sep 12, 2007
55 of 219
Elance's free membership offers a very limited number of bids, so in order to succeed there you really do have to pay for the membership. In and of itself, the amount's not much. What I don't like is what it means for the underpinnings of the site's business model. Under oDesk's model, the site only makes money when a client pays a freelancer. Under Elance's model, the site also makes money from freelancer membership premiums. In other words, Elance does not have to connect clients with freelancers to make money, but oDesk does. I'd rather support the latter model.
Doreen M Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
56 of 219
[quote=Dave Robinson]Elance's free membership offers a very limited number of bids, so in order to succeed there you really do have to pay for the membership. In and of itself, the amount's not much. What I don't like is what it means for the underpinnings of the site's business model. Under oDesk's model, the site only makes money when a client pays a freelancer. Under Elance's model, the site also makes money from freelancer membership premiums. In other words, Elance does not have to connect clients with freelancers to make money, but oDesk does. I'd rather support the latter model.[/quote] There's no doubt that oDesk is imperfect but it's better than the competition Smiley Happy I'm glad I'm not alone
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
57 of 219
Elance changed awhile back. You now get 40 connects for free. You can't see the average of what other people are bidding anymore and I'm not sure what the paid service offers. I know you get 60 connects with the paid service and can see the average bid price but other than that, I don't know what you get. I'm not sure about the merger to be honest. I do a lot more work here than on Elance simply because this is where I first started and where I built my profile. I find I can actually command higher prices here because of my experience and profile. I've tried Elance but haven't had a lot of luck there. Of course, I don't spend as much time there as I do here. What I don't understand is if both platforms are going to be kept separate, then what's the point of the merger? Is it going to be more of a management merger? I'm not quite sure how this merger will affect freelancers.
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
58 of 219
Just a wild guess, but I feel eLance probably has better systems, management and money. This merger is probably going to be a very good thing for oDesk. I feel oDesk was on the way to the toilet and needed a merger to stay alive.
Mollie C Member Since: Apr 23, 2010
59 of 219
David, to answer your question, we feel strongly that this merger will lead to a better experience for both the oDesk and Elance communities -- we'll be able to make clients and freelancers more satisfied by combining resources to deliver new products and even better service.
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
60 of 219
You say it will lead to a better experience but you don't really say what that means. A "better experience" is basically meaningless. You should think about giving specifics. The same goes for "combining resources to deliver new products". What does this mean? Giving specifics instead of generalities might go a long way to easing a bit of the anxiety some freelancers are feeling over this move.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS