cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We’re excited! Today we announced that we’ve signed an agreement to merge with Elance.

Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
61 of 219
You can see the bidding average if you get the membership (which I didn't).
Vicki N Member Since: Mar 27, 2013
62 of 219
"Elance's free membership offers a very limited number of bids, so in order to succeed there you really do have to pay for the membership." What a relief to see someone actually explaining this. I was about sick of the folks kidding themselves that anybody can function on Elance for free just because it has a few free features. And the rest of this message is for them. There is no need for some of these Elancers to be defending Elance in unreasonable and elitist ways. If you are happy on Elance because you have built a business there and have an easier time sifting through potential clients, that doesn't make Elance the best website for all freelancers. Some people need a free job search to get off the ground. Rest assured, freelancers who are still on oDesk have weighed it against their brick-and-mortar job options. It is ridiculous to claim that everybody who has different needs than you do should not be working on the internet. It's not like they're a threat to you, so back off. I also consider it an insult to your readers that you would call any platform "bug-free." That is just plain too good to be true. If you love Elance so much then aren't you wasting your time by being here?
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
63 of 219
[quote=Dave Robinson] In and of itself, the amount's not much. What I don't like is what it means for the underpinnings of the site's business model. Under oDesk's model, the site only makes money when a client pays a freelancer. Under Elance's model, the site also makes money from freelancer membership premiums. In other words, Elance does not have to connect clients with freelancers to make money, but oDesk does. I'd rather support the latter model.[/quote] Thank you.
Ramalingam G Member Since: Mar 21, 2009
64 of 219
[quote=John B.]...On elance rankings are mainly based on how much you earn. The more you earn the higher your ranking and higher level and thus the higher you appear in the contractor search results. Under bidding on elance penalizes your rankings, so low bidders will be lower in the search results...[/quote] So new freelancers should not step into the marketplace and should not earn?
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
65 of 219
"A small $10 fee per month for a chance to earn thousands" My friend. This is not the lottery. I've been on oDesk 3 years, I charge a fairly reasonable rate, have a 5 star rating and I'll tell *you* the the truth. $10 per month is a HUGE fee for many on oDesk. OK? That's a fact. I say thumbs down to anyone that might even impose such on us.
Catherine R Member Since: Jul 9, 2013
66 of 219
We appreciate your sharing your concern. The merger will not result in changes to fees or membership structures on oDesk. Wishing you continued success on oDesk.
Ramalingam G Member Since: Mar 21, 2009
67 of 219
[quote=John B.] On elance rankings are mainly based on how much you earn. The more you earn the higher your ranking and higher level and thus the higher you appear in the contractor search results. Under bidding on elance penalizes your rankings, so low bidders will be lower in the search results. So new freelancers should not step into the marketplace and should not earn?
Keith P Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
68 of 219
You don't have to pay to look for jobs on Elance. You get 40 proposals a month with the free Elance membership. You don't get that many on Odesk. I don't see your problem.
SAMUEL K Member Since: May 8, 2011
69 of 219
The 40 free proposals are as good as zero if you are not going to stand a chance just because you are on free membership. Odesk gives me 25, its more than enough because of the 25 I know I will not exhaust the 25 applications.Only 10 applications are enough to get me job offers and I hardly exhaust the 25. The reason is because my profile on oDesk is built on professionalism and skills as opposed to premium membership. Some people here are arguing that oDesk was going to the "toilet". I do not know which facts they have to support this but it is my belief that since I joined oDesk, the last two years have been the years when oDesk has thrived. I can attest to this based on the new BIG clients who have joined oDesk in the same time for instance Google and gDev. Big spenders who have hundreds of thousands of hours billed in the said time. oDesk does 'survive'on premium payments. Every hour regularly billed is a guaranteed revenue for oDesk. that is the main difference. I joined Elance at the same time and have never made any break through irrespective of above average profile and expertise. Unless the successes of oDesk can be extended to Elance, I feel Elance has nothing to offer.
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
70 of 219
I do like oDesk a bit better than Elance, but I disagree with Elance's premium memberships being the key to get jobs granted. I don't have such membership and I work at Elance almost as much as I do at oDesk.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS