Dec 19, 2013 03:00:32 PMEditedOct 30, 2014 04:40:30 PMbyMarissa S
What I don't like about premium membership is that it feels like bribing the system, like you get a better chance of snaggin' that big, fat juicy project because you can pay more.. that you've got more chances of getting found on search than the rest of freeloaders who wanted the same opportunity on fair grounds.
I can see paid memberships, paid verification, paid certifications coming... who's ready for that?
Dec 20, 2013 06:40:46 AMEditedOct 30, 2014 04:40:43 PMbyJoseph C
[quote]oDesk does not plan fee increases or membership fees[/quote]
With that statement in there, leaves odesk wide open to do it.
So it is the same as saying;
oDesk may increase and/or institute membership fees.
Dec 19, 2013 10:53:07 AMEditedOct 30, 2014 04:40:02 PMbyMaria F
1. On Elance, as a free subscriber you get exactly the same opportunity to apply and get hired as a paid account. Until a month ago I had a free membership and won plenty of jobs at better rates.
2. The average rate on jobs on oDesk has decreased by nearly 30% in the last 2 years (at least in the web development and software development sections). The amount paid for fixed prices has decreased with a similar rate. The no. of clients and freelancers complaining they were scammed here is on the increase (do a forum search and you will see how it grows from month to month). That is what it means oDesk is going to the toilet. A pile of manure, regardless how big it is or how fast it increases, is still crap, not gold.
3. Google and gDev recruit on Elance as well. There are companies that use only Elance (Microsoft, Amazon).
4. Your profile may be above average on oDesk but it is really not up to average on Elance. I am also a client so I know what I see there and what I used to see here.
5. You claim to have tried Elance yet you don't know that is also offers guaranteed hourly...really? How about escrow? Did you know that?
Dec 18, 2013 01:51:00 PMEditedOct 30, 2014 04:36:02 PMbyMariel C
Elance charge a lot when you withdraw your salary, and it will take a week to received it. wITH oDESK, I can withdraw my salary within 3 days. Hope it will not affect the way Odesk send payments to freelancers.
Dec 19, 2013 02:47:39 AMEditedOct 30, 2014 04:39:22 PMbyFiona M
I've found that the freelancer is more protected at Elance. Fixed price jobs need to be funded upfront and the money is held in Escrow. The client must authorise release but there are steps you can take if the client does not. On Odesk, you just have to hope that the client has the money and will pay.
Elance hasn't charged me for withdrawing my money - do you have a Paypal account Mariel?
I've actually found that my money on Odesk comes out a lot more quickly Mariel, which makes me think that you don"t have a Paypal account. I do a lot of fixed price jobs and as soon as the client authorises it, the funds are released to me. On Odesk, the money is pending for 7 days after it's paid.
That said, the actual payment from Odesk is instantaneous, the payment from Elance usually takes a day.
I have also found that a lot of the jobs on Elance pay better, I prefer the search filters and, generally, think that Elance is better.
I am on the free option and still find enough work.
In fact, the only thing that I feel is superior on Odesk is that you can send 20 applications a week (more if verified) whereas the free option on Elance allows 4 connects per month - thus maximum 40 applications.
What I do like about the connect system is that higher-rated jobs cost more connects - having to budget connects helps everyone because people are more circumspect about what jobs they apply for.
I do hope that some of Odesk's "bad" habits don't rub off on that side.
Dec 19, 2013 07:04:20 AMEditedOct 30, 2014 04:39:52 PMbyKamal U
Odesk is the best place to source work for a freelancer and i think we prefer Odesk most because it,s free in every level and equal opportunity for ll freelancer.
I am also happy that Odesk and Elance make an agreement but it will be Bad idea to implement Elance rules and Policy on Odesk.This idea obviously will decrease Odesk prefer rating and will lost there #1 rank.
Dec 19, 2013 05:17:29 PMEditedOct 30, 2014 04:40:34 PMbyCatherine R
Thank you for sharing your feedback with the community. Since both odesk.com and elance.com will for now continue to operate as separate, independent services, your account and payment methods will not be affected by the merger. Please see our new post that addresses other common concerns from freelancers. https://www.odesk.com/community/node/32377