Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Welcome to the oDesk Community!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
31 of 543
Jyra,
When will your profile be approved?

It can take a few days even if your profile great. But if your profile has problems, oDesk may not act on it at all, and you might be left in limbo, until you fix the problems and resubmit it you customer support.

One thing you need to do in order to get job quota is to take and pass the oDesk contractor readiness test, which you should find listed at the top of the list of available tests on the page you see when you click the tests link at the top of your editable profile page.
Community Guru
32 of 543
"And how will I know that it was already approved?"

You will know that your profile has been approved when your job application quota is no longer permanently stuck at zero.
Community Guru
33 of 543
"What should i do to improve the percentage from my profile?"

The only percentage I see on your profile is the percentile score next to you spelling skill test result. The only way to improve that is to improve your spelling ability and familiarity with properly spelled words, and retake the test, which you can do once every 30 days.
Archie M Member Since: Mar 18, 2015
34 of 543

Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Anshul G Member Since: Sep 11, 2015
35 of 543

Hi Preston,

When I happy I read you have polite words in writing and professionally take us understood. I do appreciate you and team UpWork.

Thank you,

Georgin S Member Since: Apr 10, 2015
36 of 543

Hi there,

i am suffering from the same problem .when ever i am applying to a job they just show change your profile.. please help

Nelson M Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
37 of 543

Hi Admin,

My profile is 100% completed... I've more than 12 years of expereince in Excel, Powerpoint etc based jobs. But which ever job I apply, it gets declined in a couple of days.

What could be the reason? Whats the best approach?

Please help!

Regards,

Nelson

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
38 of 543

Hi Nelson,

Since you are a new freelancer on oDesk and do not have any Work History and feedback from the previous client to show, you will need to rely on your profile title, overview and portfolio to attract potential clients. You profile overview can be polished a bit more because it contains some errors now. Also, you may need to add some items to your portfolio, for example some excel spreadsheets you have created, to showcase your skills.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Christie N Member Since: Apr 30, 2015
39 of 543

Ms. Valeria,

Greetings!

Having just graduated from high school, I do not have a professional title yet, but I am willing to work for the month of May. Will a high school graduate like me be allowed to work? My mother and father are teachers and if there is a need for a credit card to channel whatever remuneration I will receive, I will ask them to get one for this purpose. My forte is encoding with a typing speed of 40 WPM on the average. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Christie

Community Guru
40 of 543

Christie:

You are new here, so don't take things that I say harshly. Just listen and learn.

1) It is not appropriate for you to address Valeria directly as you did. She won't be upset or anything, but this is the oDesk Community Forum. This is not the "Send Email to Valeria" page.

There are other forum moderators who may address your questions. More importantly, this is primarily a forum in which oDesk contractors and clients discuss matters and answer questions for each other.

2) re: "if there is a need for a credit card to channel whatever remuneration..."

You should never need a credit card in order to work. You would need a credit card to PAY somebody. If you want to WORK, you should get paid. ODesk does not require you to have a credit card in order to be paid.

3) re: My mother and father... I will ask them to get one for this purpose."

In your dealings with oDesk, in your profile and in setting up your accounts, etc., you should never mention your mother or father or any other relatives. Do not mention brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. If you mention these people, then oDesk may (correctly) believe that you are combining your account information with the account information of other people. Maybe you do some work, and then have your mom log into your account and do some work. That is strictly forbidden. That will cause the money you earn to be tied up or blocked from being withdrawn, or will cause your oDesk account to be suspended.

If you need to use financial accounts belonging to your mom or dad or anybody else in order to work on oDesk, then you are not ready to work on oDesk.

4) Having just graduated from high school, I do not have a professional title yet, but I am willing to work for the month of May.

It is good that you are willing to work for a month, but you stand a much better chance of earning money if you apply yourself to working in the local economy, not online, and not on oDesk. Based on where you are at right now, you need to spend at least one or two months simply reading oDesk user manuals, reading hundreds of posts and threads in the Community Forum, reading oDesk online help material, just so you can get a better understanding of what oDesk is all about and what you need to do in order to be successful. And you will need one or two months of dedicated work to set up your profile.

I think you are mistaken if you think that oDesk is a place where a recent high school graduate with no oDesk knowledge, no marketable skills, and no work experience can drop by for a month and earn money. That is not going to happen. You are simply going to be preyed upon by scammer clients, who will steal your identify information, trick you into doing all kinds of work for free, and worse, and any money that you or your parents have in any bank accounts of other financial accounts will be stolen because you will provide your personal account information to somebody running a phishing scam.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS