Did you mean: 

Welcome to the Upwork Community!

Md. A Member Since: Jan 28, 2015
81 of 543

yes it really helpfull page for both freelancers and client

Community Leader
Garrett M Member Since: Feb 13, 2015
82 of 543

When will the time tracking app be available for Ubuntu 14.04? I am desperate to be rid of  Windows but i feel like i'm stuck since the app is only available for Ubuntu 12.04, and i need 14.04 to have access to some packages that are no longer being backported to 12.04

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
83 of 543

Garrett,

You are not stuck on Windows, nor are you stuck using Ubuntu 12.04

You can do fixed rate contract work and you can do hourly work using manually-logged hours.

-Preston

Rajesh K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
84 of 543

I was about to get paid tomorrow for 883$.
But it shows that i sent a refund of 623$.

But i did not do that?

I am very disappointed with this. Can you please explain how did this happen?

I did not sent any refund.

I dont know what happened.

And my client is not responding from last week.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
85 of 543

Hi Rajesh,

If your client failed to pay you on an hourly contract, hours that did not qualify for the oDesk Guarantee could be reversed. In such case you need to communicate with your client and ask him to pay you for the work in a form of a bonus once he resolves the issue with his payment method. You may communicate with the Customer Support to get more details.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Jude P Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
86 of 543

When I heard that oDesk and Elance joined together, First I got upset thinking about fees for membership and the job quote. But same as Elance now odesk also making the same features. This is really unfair I feel. Because, these 2 features will not make any different only thing the odesk will get an extra income for the paid members. Since the job quote will be limited, every freelancer (Who depending freelance as income) will go for paid membership since they need more connects. Even the connets will be 1 to 5 for each job so per month its going to be less than 30 jobs which we can apply.

So this is really very unfair compare to what we have now. We have 25 tokens and we can apply for the job and it will get expired in couple of days or if the client declined or if got hire. So we will get the token back. So we will not miss any jobs. Even getting hire for the job is not easy, because there are million of very skilled people all over the world. So everyone get chance. But the new feature will become really mess everything.

So lets say, I am applying for around 30 jobs within 2 weeks and after  that I am seeing so many very suitable jobs, so what should I do? I will have to miss everything is it? So our income is going to be very limited because of this. And if you see my profile I have applied for around 30 jobs but most of the jobs clients are still keeping open without hiring. more than weeks or months. So there are very rare clients who hire quickly and finish the job. so limiting the job quote going to effect everyone. This will lead to very bad experience in odesk. I feel this 2 new feature is not good for freelancer or clients but its going to be extra income for odesk.

I am not being rude but this is really making me upset and sad and worrying how the income / career going to be in odesk anymore.

Community Guru
87 of 543

Jude,

Every freelancer will NOT sign up for paid memberships.

Many contractors on oDesk do not need to have very many job applications.

I haven't bid on jobs in 3 months and I am overwhelmed with the amount of work I have.

Honestly, I don't think any contractor really needs more job applications than they will have with the new system. People just need to be careful in choosing which jobs to bid on.

Robbie C Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
88 of 543

I'm on disability and I was encouraged by a friend to find a job on this site.  

However, as a Deaf American, I was disappointed to learned that signed languages were nowhere to be found on the list of 'official' languages.  There is French signed language, spanish signed laguage, american signed language, and even icelandic signed language, yet audism, which is the discrimination against those who do not hear, remains quite prevalent in the workplace.  You have disenfranchised every deaf person in the world by not allowing deaf people to communicate in signed languages.  To say you 'speak in perfect grammar' as a designated level of proficiency is to reveal your bias as a hearing person on how you choose to define what a real language is.

Deafness isn't a disability, but it is audism that flourishes among the hearing privileged.  Helen Keller once said: "I cannot do everything but I can do something, and I will no refuse to do the something that I can do."  She also said, "Blindness keeps you from things, deafness keeps you from people."

There is no hearing community, there is no blind community, but the deaf community is so proud of who we are and what we can do.

I hope you encourage a space for 'disabilities' to realize their full potential.  The law is employers have to pay for interpreters but so few business have the courage to do what is right.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
89 of 543

At the risk of being terribly politically incorrect: What are you going on about?? Do computers use sign language? Does oDesk make any noise or sounds when I use it? I don't hear them - so presumably your deafness should not impact your ability to use oDesk.

Community Guru
90 of 543

I do not communicate with clients via Skype or phone. I use email sometimes, but mostly oDesk messaging. Nothing I do in my work on oDesk involves sound. If I was deaf my income on oDesk would be unaffected.

ODesk is no doubt one of the greatest options available for a deaf person who wants to earn money without needing any special accommodation and without even needing to reveal to the people he works with that he is deaf.

I'm actually familiar with the themes and topics Robbie is "going on about." He wasn't really asking a question. He was making a statement, and he has now had his say.

The best response to his post is silence.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS