🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Zoom is coming to the Upwork Marketplace!
Page options

Zoom is coming to the Upwork Marketplace!

daryl_sando
Community Member

Dear Upwork Community,

Zoom is coming to Upwork! We know many of you have requested updates to Upwork’s video/call feature. Given that our Terms of Service require all pre-contract conversations to take place via Upwork, a lot of customers have requested access to an improved resource for making calls on our platform. We heard your concerns and feedback, and we’re responding.

We are excited to announce that Upwork is rolling out an integration with Zoom that will allow users to quickly initiate Zoom calls right from the Upwork platform.

Zoom.jpg

To help make sure this integration is seamless, we’re making the new feature available to a small subset of randomly selected Upwork users to start. Once we’re comfortable with how everything is working for those initial users, all Upwork users will have access to the new Zoom integration. Be on the lookout for the rollout of this feature in Upwork Messages!

We have included a few more details here

Best, The Upwork Team

36 Comments
emonnaim
Community Member

It is really great. 

researchediting
Community Member

Will L wrote:
I hope ALL communication options available through Upwork will soon be integrated with TimeTracker, as both the client and Upwork know the freelancer is, by definition, working for/with the client during such calls and that work time should automatically be included in work time protected by Upwork's payment protection protocols.

Whether we are communicating with clients through web Messages, the tracker itself, or Zoom, don't we get screenshots if the tracker is running? What further integration did you have in mind?

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Unless I am mistaken, I still have to invoke TimeTracker and periodically use my mouse or keyboard in order for TimeTracker to pick up the tact that I am actually working for an hourly client when I am on a VOIP or Zoom call with the client, which is no different than if I were using a phone or Skype for a client call. And TmeTracker will be taking random screenshots during these calls.

I would like for TimeTracker to automatically count my time talking to a client as confirmed work time and covered by Upwork's payment assurance program. When using these two voice communications methods with Upwork, I shouldn't be required to also invoke TimeTracker and use my mouse or keyboard or have random screenshots to be recorded by Upwork. 

If I am on an Upwork-based VOIP or Zoom call with a client I am, by definition, using that time to work for the client. Upwork and the client can always confirm that I was on a call with the client using one of these methods for a billable time period because Upwork has its own records for the time and duration of all such calls.

Such time segments, which are more precisely tracked than even properly-documented TimeTracker usage, should therefore be fully covered by Upwork's hourly project payment protection.

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Will,

I understand the rationale of your request and based on similar freelancer feedback we added an option last year to disable the option to stop tracking time on screen lock. You can find this functionality under the Advanced tab in the Team app's Settings.

To clarify, using this option will enable the Team app to keep logging time even if there's no activity on your end. However, since adequate activity levels are one of the main Payment Protection requirements, these segments won't be covered by Payment Protection. Would this option help with the process you'd prefer using?

SS Stop.png

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hi, Vladimir.

Thank you for the prompt response.

I can't think of an instance when I would use the function you mention, but now I know it's possible.

The exact usage time when I am using the Upwork VOIP app or the Zoom function to speak to a client is already precisely tracked by Upwork. I know this because the duration of each call appears in my message list for a project after each call related to that project is over.

This VOIP or Zoom usage time already being tracked by Upwork should automatically be added to each project's database of work time that now includes a) properly documented TimeTracker-tracked time and b) manual time, if I decide to add any.

There should be no need for me to invoke TimeTracker for these calls.

And I should not have to move my mouse or use my keyboard during these calls; there is also no need for screenshots.

A client cannot contest such work time tracked by Upwork - Upwork only tracks these time segments when both the client and I are on a call. If one of us leaves the call, the tracked time for that call ends. This leaves no room for a client to contest whether I was working on his/her project for a specific time period if Upwork's own records show that I was on a call with the client at that time.

exel0l
Community Member

Looking forward to it 🙂 Really great idea.

anna_babicheva
Community Member

So happy you introduced it and I got it already!
Now next step would be to introduce scheduling the call with the client through UpWork. That would be just perfect!

ihsan90ktk
Community Member

This is a great feature, but some time is not working on my side.

how many Zoom meetings we can do in one day?

Thanks

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Ihsan,

There is no limit on the number of meetings you can have in a day. Could you please let me know what error you are experiencing so that I can take a look?

Thank you.

a-start
Community Member

Hi Everybody,
This is really good news! But I wonder if there will be any time limits for a one session call like it was 40 minutes for the free version in zoom?
Thanks and appreciate any answer.
Tatiana