🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » "Interesting Job" Feature and Improving Recom...
Page options

"Interesting Job" Feature and Improving Recommendations

42bc8f02
Community Member

Hi every one!

We’ve received feedback that our job recommendation algorithm could use some improvement. 

We hear you, and definitely don't disagree. That said, we’re hoping to make these improvements as soon as we can, and in order to do so we’ll be conducting a small test on the Job Search results page: using your clicks/not-clicks as a feedback mechanism that will allow for us to analyze & fine-tune the algorithm.

“What are the details of this test?”

• It's pretty straight foward. In the upcoming weeks, some of you may see a job with the label “Interesting Job” as the first result of your search. This job is one that you would have seen naturally in your regular search results, and we are highlighting said job because well… we think it might be applicable to you (which begs the question, why don’t we call it applicable job? I don’t know). Labeling aside, the job isn't any more special than any other job in your search – the label is there to help my team track your interaction with that job.

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 1.56.19 PM.png

• As mentioned earlier, interacting with that particular job tells us a lot. If you apply to said job, we know it’s a good recommendation. If you don't interact with the job at all, then we know it's not a good recommendation.
  • Very important note: if you apply to the 'interesting' job, you do NOT receive any preferential treatment amongst the other applicants. Conversely, if you do NOT apply to the 'interesting' job shown, you are not penalized in any way.
  • I want to be really clear about this: applying/not applying to the job does not affect your profile/JSS/candidacy in any shape, way, or form. 

“Can I opt in/out of the test?”

Not this time around. In designing this feature, we’ve completely randomized who is or isn’t a part of it. With that said, the test is also designed to not interfere with your normal usage. Again, the 'interesting job' is one that already appears in your search results and at most, you may see one ‘interesting job’ per search. That’s it.

And again, whether or not you click/apply to the ‘interesting job’ has no effect on your profile or your application.

“Tam! I have X concern!”

No worries, if you have any questions/comments/criticisms please feel let me know. I’ll respond to what I can (unless you’re just trying to troll me, which I don’t mind too much 😉 ).

Appreciatively,

tam

P.S. - I hope every one is having a good Monday 😃

39 Comments
oquintela
Community Member

@Gyan D wrote:

Hi Tam,

That reticence on the part of users is because Upwork is opaque about much of the site's functionality. If you include a short disclaimer that the feedback from the Interesting Jobs experiment is for research purposes only and won't affect users immediately or specifically, then I believe you will observe a healthy response.

I've already posted this in some other thread, and will again because I think it perfectly fits here too... It has to do with IRE (Internet Research Ethics), something that Upwork seems not to care about since no effort is made to inform freelancers/clients of research experiments that take place on the platform.

Examples of healthy practices: 

LinkedIn 

2.4. Service Development; Customized Experience

"We use information and content that you and other Members provide to us to conduct research and development for the improvement of our Services in order to provide you and other Members and Visitors with a better, more intuitive experience and drive membership growth and engagement on our Services and to help connect professionals to economic. […]"

Coursera

"Coursera is committed to advancing the science of learning and teaching, and records of your participation in courses may be used for education research. In the interest of this research, you may be exposed to variations in the course content. Research findings will typically be reported at the aggregate level. Your personal identity will not be publicly disclosed in any research findings without your express consent."

42bc8f02
Community Member

Gyan - Agreed!

It's something we are working on in our: designs, implementations, and how we communicate at large. 

42bc8f02
Community Member

Triple reply (because I have too many browsers open).

Thanks for bringing to our attention Olga!

I'll look into this. 

codersaiful_com
Community Member

Recently Upwork added a new features - Dislike Button. This is obviously very important and nice feature.

See screenshot at bellow:

upwork_dislike_button.png

Here available few very important option. few of these features:
*Not interested,
*Vague Description,

*Too many applicant,
*I am over qualified,

*Not in my preferred location

ETC,

But this this features only available in job search/feed page, Not available in job description page. 

Before read full description, How I will know that this job is suitable for me. So I think: "Dislike Button" also should include in detail page/description page/ single description page. 

I am looking forward to hearing opinion from other as well as administration.

Thanks by Saiful

42bc8f02
Community Member

Hey Saiful - that's a VERY good point. Let me chat with my colleagues regarding this. 

Thanks for your insight!

codersaiful_com
Community Member

Hey Tam, thanks a lot for your response.

paula-spagnuolo
Community Member

Just wondering how someone who does not spend a lot of time in the fomrums would have any idea what the 'thumbs down' icon was even about. While I have not done a lot of work on Upwork since moving over from Elance I do check in on a regualr basis but am only discovering  it 'by accident'. after seeing some posts here. This is just to say that there are probaby a LOT of freelancer who don't even know what it is and this could be why it is nto geeting as much use as you'd like.

Is there something I am missing in terms of a newsletter sent out to freelanceers about new features etc. or is it basically up to to the freelancer to 'hunt down' the info. in the forums?

42bc8f02
Community Member

Hey Paula - 

This is something I've recently started thinking about [how to message features and what they do to you all]. 

No answer right now, but would anyone else be interested in receiving a newsletter or having some central place to check?

Let me know!

paula-spagnuolo
Community Member

Hi Tam,

I can only speak for myself but I would love to have one central place (or a newsletter) to read up on any new features, changes etc. I find it really time consuming to try and 'pick-up' on what's new  on Upwork via the forums. I generally make Official Upwork>Annoucnements my first stop but still don't feel like I am easily able to stay on top of changes. 

Just as an example I have spotted some threads talking about intial proposal cover letters and the inclusion of contact information (I believe this is a violation of terms) but wasn't able to determine if this has changed. I'm guesing the answer is somewhere on the site and I could of course intiate a live chat to get an answer but if there was a central place/post that announced/summarized changes I know that I would check it regulalry.

Best regards,
Paula

researchediting
Community Member

@Tam L wrote:

Hey Paula - 

This is something I've recently started thinking about [how to message features and what they do to you all]. 

No answer right now, but would anyone else be interested in receiving a newsletter or having some central place to check?

Let me know!

*waves hand excitedly*

I know! I know!

How about you have an official "Announcements" thread?

Even people who aren't forum rats could be directed upon onboarding to official announcements about new Upwork features in something like "Official Upwork > Announcements." 

And of course at the same time you'd update the relevant site documentation page, right?

As ever, all the best,

Michael