🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » "Interesting Job" Feature and Improving Recom...
Page options

"Interesting Job" Feature and Improving Recommendations

42bc8f02
Community Member

Hi every one!

We’ve received feedback that our job recommendation algorithm could use some improvement. 

We hear you, and definitely don't disagree. That said, we’re hoping to make these improvements as soon as we can, and in order to do so we’ll be conducting a small test on the Job Search results page: using your clicks/not-clicks as a feedback mechanism that will allow for us to analyze & fine-tune the algorithm.

“What are the details of this test?”

• It's pretty straight foward. In the upcoming weeks, some of you may see a job with the label “Interesting Job” as the first result of your search. This job is one that you would have seen naturally in your regular search results, and we are highlighting said job because well… we think it might be applicable to you (which begs the question, why don’t we call it applicable job? I don’t know). Labeling aside, the job isn't any more special than any other job in your search – the label is there to help my team track your interaction with that job.

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 1.56.19 PM.png

• As mentioned earlier, interacting with that particular job tells us a lot. If you apply to said job, we know it’s a good recommendation. If you don't interact with the job at all, then we know it's not a good recommendation.
  • Very important note: if you apply to the 'interesting' job, you do NOT receive any preferential treatment amongst the other applicants. Conversely, if you do NOT apply to the 'interesting' job shown, you are not penalized in any way.
  • I want to be really clear about this: applying/not applying to the job does not affect your profile/JSS/candidacy in any shape, way, or form. 

“Can I opt in/out of the test?”

Not this time around. In designing this feature, we’ve completely randomized who is or isn’t a part of it. With that said, the test is also designed to not interfere with your normal usage. Again, the 'interesting job' is one that already appears in your search results and at most, you may see one ‘interesting job’ per search. That’s it.

And again, whether or not you click/apply to the ‘interesting job’ has no effect on your profile or your application.

“Tam! I have X concern!”

No worries, if you have any questions/comments/criticisms please feel let me know. I’ll respond to what I can (unless you’re just trying to troll me, which I don’t mind too much 😉 ).

Appreciatively,

tam

P.S. - I hope every one is having a good Monday 😃

39 Comments
knowtypos
Community Member

Hey Tam,

I just filled out the survey you sent about improving the job search, and one of the things I noted in the comments was that the "Thumbs Down" feature has disappeared from my Job Feed. This may be why you're getting such a low response rate--people can no longer find it.

When the Thumbs Down feature first rolled out several months ago, it was available next to every job in my Job Feed. Now the thumb is gone, and it's been that way for a while.

Recently, I found that if I clicked on a search saved under Recent Searches (which takes me to the Job Search page and away from the Find Work page), the Thumbs Down feature reappeared. So, for me at least, there appears to be a problem with the Thumbs Down feature loading on the Find work page but not on the Job Search page.

I'm sure there are other factors for a low response rate, like people being afraid that their responses will be used against them somehow. But personally, I love this feature, and I want Upwork to know why I think certain jobs are a waste of my time. In fact, I wish I could tell the client too!

Now that you've added disclaimer text inside the drop-down menu that explains the Thumbs Down feature is just for research, I think more people will feel comfortable rating jobs knowing that their responses will remain private.

It seems likely that you're getting such a low response rate because the Thumbs Down feature is no longer available from within the Job Feed. At least, it's disappeared from mine.

Hope that helps.

oquintela
Community Member

@sarah C wrote:

Hey Tam,

I just filled out the survey you sent about improving the job search, and one of the things I noted in the comments was that the "Thumbs Down" feature has disappeared from my Job Feed. […]

I still see it in my Job Feed.

stephenbrightman
Community Member

I don't have a job feed. It stopped working two weeks ago. "High level support" assured me they would look into it, but despite five or six bump messages from me, have't even given me the courtesy of a single response since then. I guess you just get used to using whatever parts of this site are working and good for you at any given time...

It's ironic that while you'd like to be helping them out with new features, you have to rather spend your time trying to keep up with dealing with the features you're constantly losing.

ai83
Community Member

Hey Tam,

If no one uses the thumb down, maybe it's time for Upwork to send onboarding letters with useful features of the site.

researchediting
Community Member

To clarify and amplify my last response, Tam, I do believe this forum is exactly the venue you are looking for to announce new features. It would need to be supplemented by onboarding information, documentation updates, and perhaps push notices through the relevant operational pages/apps.

This forum, and product announcements in general, seem driven by marketing, including damage control. Technical development needs to claim its place at the table.

For the thumbs-down feature, such notice might have provided feedback on its very spotty visibility before you started making inferences about its underutilitzation.

Best,
Michael

42bc8f02
Community Member

Alma - agreed!

42bc8f02
Community Member

Hey Stephen - I just saw this. Is your feed still blank? 

lenaellis
Community Member

Hi everyone,

The "Interesting Job" feature is no longer in beta and we've begun rolling it out to a subset of users on the platform. If you see the feature and have any questions or feedback, let us know. 

-Lena

miroslav84
Community Member

Just saw an "Intereesting Job" for keyword research which requires  applicants to provide them keyword ideas in the proposal (they gave link to their website). Also they are payment NOT verified.

Shall Upwork consider an "Interesting Scam" or even better an "Interesting Way to Deliver Free Work Despite it is against our own ToS" ribbon isstead? Probably not.

42bc8f02
Community Member

Hey Miroslav - thanks for the feedback!

Will add that criteria to our filter list [payment verified]. Although... in thinking about this, I'm making a note to check to see if we scan for verbiage that alludes to providing free work in the proposal.