Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Interesting Job" Feature and Improving Recommendations

Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
11 of 40

Hi Tam,

That reticence on the part of users is because Upwork is opaque about much of the site's functionality. If you include a short disclaimer that the feedback from the Interesting Jobs experiment is for research purposes only and won't affect users immediately or specifically, then I believe you will observe a healthy response.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
12 of 40

@Gyan D wrote:

Hi Tam,

That reticence on the part of users is because Upwork is opaque about much of the site's functionality. If you include a short disclaimer that the feedback from the Interesting Jobs experiment is for research purposes only and won't affect users immediately or specifically, then I believe you will observe a healthy response.

I've already posted this in some other thread, and will again because I think it perfectly fits here too... It has to do with IRE (Internet Research Ethics), something that Upwork seems not to care about since no effort is made to inform freelancers/clients of research experiments that take place on the platform.

Examples of healthy practices: 

LinkedIn 

2.4. Service Development; Customized Experience

"We use information and content that you and other Members provide to us to conduct research and development for the improvement of our Services in order to provide you and other Members and Visitors with a better, more intuitive experience and drive membership growth and engagement on our Services and to help connect professionals to economic. […]"

Coursera

"Coursera is committed to advancing the science of learning and teaching, and records of your participation in courses may be used for education research. In the interest of this research, you may be exposed to variations in the course content. Research findings will typically be reported at the aggregate level. Your personal identity will not be publicly disclosed in any research findings without your express consent."

Employee
Tam L Employee Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
13 of 40

Triple reply (because I have too many browsers open).

Thanks for bringing to our attention Olga!

I'll look into this. 

Employee
14 of 40

Gyan - Agreed!

It's something we are working on in our: designs, implementations, and how we communicate at large. 

Ace Contributor
Paula S Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
15 of 40

Just wondering how someone who does not spend a lot of time in the fomrums would have any idea what the 'thumbs down' icon was even about. While I have not done a lot of work on Upwork since moving over from Elance I do check in on a regualr basis but am only discovering  it 'by accident'. after seeing some posts here. This is just to say that there are probaby a LOT of freelancer who don't even know what it is and this could be why it is nto geeting as much use as you'd like.

Is there something I am missing in terms of a newsletter sent out to freelanceers about new features etc. or is it basically up to to the freelancer to 'hunt down' the info. in the forums?

Employee
16 of 40

Hey Paula - 

This is something I've recently started thinking about [how to message features and what they do to you all]. 

No answer right now, but would anyone else be interested in receiving a newsletter or having some central place to check?

Let me know!

Ace Contributor
Paula S Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
17 of 40

Hi Tam,

I can only speak for myself but I would love to have one central place (or a newsletter) to read up on any new features, changes etc. I find it really time consuming to try and 'pick-up' on what's new  on Upwork via the forums. I generally make Official Upwork>Annoucnements my first stop but still don't feel like I am easily able to stay on top of changes. 

Just as an example I have spotted some threads talking about intial proposal cover letters and the inclusion of contact information (I believe this is a violation of terms) but wasn't able to determine if this has changed. I'm guesing the answer is somewhere on the site and I could of course intiate a live chat to get an answer but if there was a central place/post that announced/summarized changes I know that I would check it regulalry.

Best regards,
Paula

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 40

@Tam L wrote:

Hey Paula - 

This is something I've recently started thinking about [how to message features and what they do to you all]. 

No answer right now, but would anyone else be interested in receiving a newsletter or having some central place to check?

Let me know!

*waves hand excitedly*

I know! I know!

How about you have an official "Announcements" thread?

Even people who aren't forum rats could be directed upon onboarding to official announcements about new Upwork features in something like "Official Upwork > Announcements." 

And of course at the same time you'd update the relevant site documentation page, right?

As ever, all the best,

Michael

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
19 of 40

To clarify and amplify my last response, Tam, I do believe this forum is exactly the venue you are looking for to announce new features. It would need to be supplemented by onboarding information, documentation updates, and perhaps push notices through the relevant operational pages/apps.

This forum, and product announcements in general, seem driven by marketing, including damage control. Technical development needs to claim its place at the table.

For the thumbs-down feature, such notice might have provided feedback on its very spotty visibility before you started making inferences about its underutilitzation.

Best,
Michael

Sarah C Member Since: Jan 8, 2015
20 of 40

Hey Tam,

I just filled out the survey you sent about improving the job search, and one of the things I noted in the comments was that the "Thumbs Down" feature has disappeared from my Job Feed. This may be why you're getting such a low response rate--people can no longer find it.

When the Thumbs Down feature first rolled out several months ago, it was available next to every job in my Job Feed. Now the thumb is gone, and it's been that way for a while.

Recently, I found that if I clicked on a search saved under Recent Searches (which takes me to the Job Search page and away from the Find Work page), the Thumbs Down feature reappeared. So, for me at least, there appears to be a problem with the Thumbs Down feature loading on the Find work page but not on the Job Search page.

I'm sure there are other factors for a low response rate, like people being afraid that their responses will be used against them somehow. But personally, I love this feature, and I want Upwork to know why I think certain jobs are a waste of my time. In fact, I wish I could tell the client too!

Now that you've added disclaimer text inside the drop-down menu that explains the Thumbs Down feature is just for research, I think more people will feel comfortable rating jobs knowing that their responses will remain private.

It seems likely that you're getting such a low response rate because the Thumbs Down feature is no longer available from within the Job Feed. At least, it's disappeared from mine.

Hope that helps.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS