This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Re: Best Payment Method to Sri Lanka

Community Guru
Shehan F Member Since: Aug 10, 2015

Hi Deborah, 

I too migrated from Elance and after coming in to Upwork I created a Skrill account and I'm withdrawing money from there. I use Skrill because it's really faster and cheaper than the free withdrawal method Elance offered. It only costs you $1 per withdrawal regardless of how many withdrawals you do(from Upwork to Skrill) and Skrill will charge you around $ 3.29 per withdrawal. My suggestion for you is to wait until the end of each month to withdraw money from Upwork and if you do that it'll only cost you $4.29(Upwork to Skrill + Skrill to Bank account). 
Also please feel free to create a USD RFC account as I mentioned in my above post so that you can get the benefit of withdrawing money in Sri Lankan rupees when the exchange rates are high. Let me know if you need to know anything else Smiley Happy

- Shehan

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011

Be aware that Skrill are VERY quick at categorising a freelancer's account as a merchant account, and when they do the charges become very steep indeed! A lot of freelancers have been caught out on that and got a very nasty shock.

Community Guru

Thanks for the heads up Petra, I'll check it out. 

Frequent Visitor
Dushan Chathuranga B Member Since: Dec 11, 2015

Hi ,

So is there a problem of using a skrill account ?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011

@Dushan Chathuranga B wrote:

Hi ,

So is there a problem of using a skrill account ?

Not necessarily, until they consider you a commercial user (which you essentially are) and apply merchant account charges which are very expensive.

It seems with some people they do it at the first transaction, others get away with not being "upgraded" for months.

A recent poster paid over $ 80 on his very first withdrawal.

Frequent Visitor
Dushan Chathuranga B Member Since: Dec 11, 2015

Then it s better to use pioneer card?

Chamini K Member Since: Apr 29, 2016

Hey Shehan,

Can you please tell me what would be the fees from LFT to a Sri lankan bank acct? Would it be cheaper than transfering from upwork to skril and then from skrill to the bank acct? Thanks in advance.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Chamini,

I'm sure Shehan will follow up soon, but in the meantime please have a look at my reply to the other comment you posted here.

Community Guru

Hi Chamini, 

LFTs are not available for our country. The cheapest method to withdraw funds to Sri Lanka from Upwork is via Skrill but if you're withdrawing a big amount I highly recommend Upwork's USD wire transfer option ( please refer Petra's comments about Skrill's merchant accounts ) Hope this helps. Let me know if you need to know anything else. Smiley Happy

Chamini K Member Since: Apr 29, 2016

Thanks a lot Shehan! Can you also tell me how should a Sri Lankan freelancer fill the W8BEN/W9 Form? Thanks in advance!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS