This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Domestic Corporations as LLC on Upwork to Protect Personal Assets

Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015

So I recently read a question tossed by one freelancer whose page does not qualify as my "original page" for mysterious reasons.  The topic is interesting as it has to do with a legal entity that Filipino freelance contractors may adopt in relation to the professional liability of freelancers expressed as capital letters t, a, x, e, and s.

I find myself hyperaroused with the article and have to draft the following questions thereafter:

1.  Is an LLC in the US translated as a domestic corporation in the Philippines?

2.  Is there a possibility that I maintain a nomadic business existence having a home office with this legal structure?

3.  How can I convince "incorporators" to join my sphere without betraying the sacred trust of my client/s - you know, the so-called trade secret thing -?

4.  How does a domestic corporation become a catalyst for change in the economic hole that we, freelancers in the Philippines, are boring?

I feel excited.

What will my mentors have to say about these things?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015

Updates:

I started pondering on my current employment status as a sole proprietor and tested the hypothesis that I could actually be eligible to have my own ID card as a business owner (although at first, I wanted the Chief Executive Officer title but then I reckoned it must be equivalent to a huge amount of dollars so I conceded and admitted defeat). 

I hired a graphic artist to design my ID (although I initially prepared a draft via a PowerPoint presentation) and I was amazed that he could do some "watermarks" that could not be erased!  I was offered a great deal - only Php 600.00 for twelve employee ID laces/lanyards.  I had to turn down the offer.  Yet.  Hahaha!  (Petra might start a new thread about snakes! lol)

My first ID card needed my:

a) business logo

b) ID picture that can be Googled and verified "personally" (I passed!)

c) business website that can be found online

d) a readable signature

It was printed on a thick "onion paper" then pressed against a white PVC (does that stand for polyvinyl chloride?) sheet and laminated once and then twice.  Then I chose my own lanyard. Mind you, the moment I wore it, it felt like I have just been confirmed as an official component of the job statistics in my country.

The experience has triggered me to ask the following questions:

1) If I am registered with BIR, then can my business owner ID qualify as a "government" ID?

2) Why did I receive a generous offer from one agent representing my internet service provider saying that my internet connection will be restored and that he would actually back me up (in terms of expenses) if I have an office in another house?

3) What was #2 supposed to mean?

I am grateful to be a part of the job statistics in my country.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS