This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Freelancer Income Tax in Bangladesh

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Mohammad Abu S Member Since: Apr 13, 2016

Hello Upworkian, This is Mohammad from Bangladesh. Any of my bangladeshi friend here can help me with information about tax? Whether as a freelancer we have to pay it or not?

----------------------------------------

33. Any income derived from the business of software development and Information Technology Enabled Services (ITES) for the period from the first day of July, 2008 to the thirtieth day of June, [2013]Subs. F.A. 2011:
Provided that the person shall file income tax return in accordance with the provisions of section 75(2)(c) of the Ordinance.
[Explanation : Information Technology Enabled Services (ITES) means-Digital Content Development and Management, Animation (both 2D and 3D), Geographic Information Services (GIS), IT Support and Software Maintenance Services, Web Site Services, Business Process Outsourcing, Data entry, Data Processing, Call Centre, Graphics Design (digital service), Search Engine Optimization, Web Listing, E-commerce and Online Shopping, document conversion, imaging and archiving.]Subs. F.A. 2011

----------------------------------------

I have researched about it a lot and found some information online that our income is tax exmpt. But i also talk with laywer and they seems do no understand about freelancing and one of the lwayer in my location was saying its taxable income. 

So any freelancer brother or sistser in upwork know about this or submitting income tax return file, kindly let us know how you are doing it and whether you are providing tax or not. 

Thanks,

Moahmmad 

5 REPLIES 5
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015

I tried going to the national website of the tax authority in Bangladesh and I found a green user interface with a URL address that is about to comply with the HTTPS protocol.  The heading turns to red each time I choose an option.  Under the heading entitled "Regulations", I found the subheading "Rules", I got "Income Tax Rules" beneath "VAT Rules".  I found the Income Tax Manual -- specifically the second part.  I opened the pdf version in another tab and I saw the word "LOVE" at the top of the panel -- I mean just a few mm away from the address bar.  The word "contractor" is mentioned 11 times in that document.  I am having an impression that contractors in your country are not tax-exempt.  Do we have the same findings, Mohammad Abu?

Reference: 

GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OFBANGLADESH NATIONAL BOARD OF REVENUE Dhaka, the 14th January, 1985.  Income Tax Manual (Part II).  National Board of Revenue, Bangladesh.  Retrieved from http://nbr.gov.bd/ 06 May, 2018.

Marzia H Member Since: Jun 3, 2017

The proposal is likely to be made when Finance Minister AMA Muhith places the budget for fiscal 2015-16 in parliament, officials said.

The move comes after three IT related organisations -- Bangladesh Association of Software and Information Services, Bangladesh Computer Council, and Internet Service Providers Association of Bangladesh -- jointly demanded extension of the tax break benefits till 2024 for the sake of the sector's growth.

Frequent Visitor
Md Sohel R Member Since: Nov 17, 2018
Yes
Rayhan M Member Since: Mar 13, 2016

Dear all Bangladeshi Freelancers!

To full its ambitions in the ICT sector and online outsourcing, there is no income tax applicable till 2024 for all freelancers from Bangladesh! It said by the authority IT sector holds growth prospects owing to the international companies' hunt for low-cost outsourcing destinations.

Ref: https://basis.org.bd/resource/TAX%20Exemption%20on%20Software%20upto%202024.pdf

Frequent Visitor
Jannatun Ferdouse S Member Since: Apr 26, 2016

Well, from your reply i came to know that no income tax are applicable till 2024 but we need to submit Tax Return Form and need to prove our earning as a agency, in upwork. Now how to prove our earning as a valid income?

Please get back to me with your answer as soon as possible. Thanks