This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

My Account Is Wrongly Suspended

Highlighted
Allen K Member Since: Feb 10, 2018

Hello! My account got suspended because, according to a notification from Upwork, there was some irregular activity in my account pertaining to a contract. I'm not sure what I did wrong - I had a call with the client on Hangouts (because the Upwork Android app doesn't support calls), but other than that, all my messages were on Upwork, I didn't start work on the contract and did not receive any payments on or off the platform. I provided this information to Upwork Support with proof.

However, Support said that my account will not be reinstated until the client provides some information it requested. It's been about 2 weeks since the suspension and it seems that the client has not provided the information. I also received an email from Support asking me to "encourage" the client to reply. When I did so, the client said that she didn't receive any information requests from Upwork. Although I relayed this to Support, it just keeps saying that its hands are tied until the client replies.

1. Is there any way to really know whether the client received the information request?

2. Will my suspension be permanent if the client never replies?

3. Is there anything I can do to get the account reinstated?

I think it's unethical to hold my account hostage to force me to keep chasing the client.

9 REPLIES
Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017

This is indeed a strange case.  This group is less frequently visited than other groups like New to Upwork of Freelancers.

I flagged your post to get a mod's attention, but keep in mind the above.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018

Hi Allen,

Sorry to hear about your account. Please refer to the ticket or notification sent to you about your account. You may access the ticket here.

~ Bojan
Untitled

Hi Bojan,

The page says:

"Access Denied

You do not have access to this page. Please contact the account owner of this Zendesk for further help."

Allen

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015

Hi Allen, 

You should be able to access your ticket through this link, or directly through your email.

-Avery
Untitled

Hi Avery,

Support replied again saying that my account cannot be resumed without the client's reply. However, the client clearly states that she has not received any request for information from Upwork (see related screenshot in the ticket).

Sincerely, Allen

Hi Allen, 

We would recommend that you ask your client to check the emails the team sent him on 5-June, and 9-June. If she has questions, she can post it on the same email thread. Unfortunately, we will be unable to discuss your client's account further for privacy reasons, but she can check her email inbox for more information.

-Avery
Untitled

Hello Avery,

I contacted the client about the emails on 5th and 9th June. She said that she received emails around that time, but they contained NO QUESTIONS from Upwork. She said that they only stated

(i) that her account was thoroughly reviewed,

(ii) and that it was permanently suspended because it was a duplicate.

Could you please verify whether the Trust & Safety team has sent an email asking for information?

If yes, could you request the team to send it once again?

Sincerely,

Allen

Hi Allen, 

It looks like the team has responded to your ticket. You may continue communicating with the team through the support ticket so that they can assist you further.

-Avery
Untitled
Frequent Visitor
Waleed M Member Since: Jul 19, 2018

My new brand account is on hold and upwork says there is irregular activity and i have not received any reply when i asked them about it so i dont know what to do