This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Ways for Filipino Freelancers to Pay Taxes in the Philippines

Ace Contributor
Francisco F Member Since: Nov 13, 2010

@Maria Marilyn M wrote:

@Francisco F wrote:

The Upwork Certificate of Earnings is a foreign document. Not only Elizabeth Tse's ID document is required, she has to physically appear during notarization, which is an elusive shot.

For the said certifcate to have legal effect in the Philippines, it has to be authenticated or "consularized" by the authorized consular officer at the Philippine consulate that has jurisdiction of the location where it was signed. Visit their website for more details.

So it sounds like the US Embassy?

The said certificate is addressed from the US state of California. So either check the website of the Philippine consulate in San Francisco or in Los Angeles to be sure.

Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015

@Francisco F wrote:

The Upwork Certificate of Earnings is a foreign document. Not only Elizabeth Tse's ID document is required, she has to physically appear during notarization, which is an elusive shot.

For the said certifcate to have legal effect in the Philippines, it has to be authenticated or "consularized" by the authorized consular officer at the Philippine consulate that has jurisdiction of the location where it was signed. Visit their website for more details.

Whenever I have an affidavit notarized, I encounter such phrases as "subscribed and sworn to before me" and "personally appeared to me with her PRC license".  But the Certificate of Earnings Report is not an affidavit.  From what I have learned through self-study, notarization is a process in which a third-party witness (in this case a notary public) testifies to the authenticity of the signature in the document, thus legalizing its contents. I was not asked about such a requirement prior to having the document notarized.  I guess it was accepted the first time because it presented, to a certain extent, a form of evidence relating to my earnings.  

Community Guru

@Maria Marilyn M wrote:

Hello!

Would you mind helping me please? 

How did you manage to have the Upwork Certificate of Earnings notarized? 

Several lawyers didn't want to. They were asking for the actual original copy and the person who signed's ID (Elizabeth Tse). 

Thanks!

I had the Certificate of Earnings Report notarized for one occasion and that was when I first registered as a self-employed individual.  When I got to renew my registration last January, 2017, the document was not asked of me anymore.  I presented my invoices (used and unused), two books of accounts and tax documents to prove my income.  The document does not prove our earnings if we already issue our invoices to our clients.  We provide our own set of documents to ratify if not establish how much we are earning from our clients through the platform.

John Paul Z Member Since: Mar 19, 2017

Did u also encounter what Maria encountered when you had it notarized? Or was it a smooth process? 

Community Guru

The smooth part in being a taxpayer while working as an Upwork freelance contractor is that I have my own software in my PC and I get to print my tax documents at home so that the only extra transaction that I do is paying through either UCPB or BPI.  With BPI, it's fun because the bank has a BEA terminal where the touch-screen monitor makes it virtually possible to pay for my taxes swiftly.   Both banks have tellers who really are hardworking - they spend time inspecting tax documents and they stamp on each document as fast as they can.  As for the notarization protocol, I had the document notarized at the BIR office after describing to the Officer of the Day what I do as a contractor.

Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010

@Juvy Ann P wrote:

@Maria Marilyn M wrote:

Hello!

Would you mind helping me please? 

How did you manage to have the Upwork Certificate of Earnings notarized? 

Several lawyers didn't want to. They were asking for the actual original copy and the person who signed's ID (Elizabeth Tse). 

Thanks!

I had the Certificate of Earnings Report notarized for one occasion and that was when I first registered as a self-employed individual.  When I got to renew my registration last January, 2017, the document was not asked of me anymore.  I presented my invoices (used and unused), two books of accounts and tax documents to prove my income.  The document does not prove our earnings if we already issue our invoices to our clients.  We provide our own set of documents to ratify if not establish how much we are earning from our clients through the platform.

I cannot even have it notarized for one occassion. Smiley Sad 

Can I use the bank statement showing LFT transactions instead? 

Community Guru

@Maria Marilyn M wrote:

I cannot even have it notarized for one occassion. Smiley Sad 

Can I use the bank statement showing LFT transactions instead? 

How did your registration go, Marilyn?  Did they accept your bank certificate and statement?

Hey Juvy!

Thanks for all your help. You're very knowledgable Smiley Very Happy Im all good know. I have my COR, my official receipts and I already paid my monthly percentage tax return for the month of April.

or.JPG

Im just grateful that you assisted me all through out Smiley Happy Thanks again.

Community Guru

@John Paul Z wrote:

Hey Juvy!

Thanks for all your help. You're very knowledgable Smiley Very Happy Im all good know. I have my COR, my official receipts and I already paid my monthly percentage tax return for the month of April.

or.JPG

Im just grateful that you assisted me all through out Smiley Happy Thanks again.

Woot! Woot! I am so happy that I was able to assist you, John Paul. Smiley Happy

Thanks again Juvy!

Another question though haha LOL my first month I was assisted by a friend who is a CPA in terms of dealing with the BIR monthly filing and all that. Do you have someone who do that for you or do you do it on your own?

Thank you.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS