🐈 Community
» Workspace » Career CloseUp » Career Stories » Graphic Designer | Will
Page options
Graphic Designer | Will

In the beginning.

Worked in tech startups for about 11 years as operations manager, Event Manager (and a multitude of other ‘hats’ inevitably required when working in a startup scenario).

Worked my way up starting as temp tech-support to operations manager over the course of 2 years, identifying gaps in processes or areas that could be optimized > then just did the work and ended up taking ownership of more and more sections of the company. Nobody assigned me these new roles, I just saw what needed doing and started doing it. 

Learning along the journey.

Taught myself constantly, rarely if ever in a class/course environment (the internet is an epic source of self improvement - no excuses).

Self taught: SalesForce Admin and customization, Zendesk admin, design & marketing, support documentation, partner program development, business development & much, much more.Hosted weekly web events, mix of sales, education, partner programs etc.

Learned a LOT and was honed into a potent tool for getting projects done but it was a real soul-sucking experience in the end. 

Will’s a-ha moment.

I was burnt out and stressed to the point of medical concern. Took the opportunity to transition to freelance full time as a graphic designer and it was not a seamless transition (a story common to many who make this transition as I well know from my hosted events).

Finding my way as a freelancer took the support of trusted entities in my personal life as well as various professional connections who were amazing at providing perspective and support as I fumbled my way through the transition.

What didn’t work in the beginning?

I was not smart about using the resources available to me as an Upwork freelancer. I never attended educational events. I rarely read any support materials on how best to succeed in this new space.

I made pretty much every mistake you can on my journey to success in this space, as a result-I learned a BUNCH and am super passionate about sharing these awesome resources and nuggets of wisdom with the community at large. If I would have attended educational events and leveraged the abundance of resources Upwork provides, my timeline to finding a stable and successful level of work as a freelancer would have been measured in a few weeks rather than half a year. I know this because I’ve worked closely with friends/professional relationships making this same transition and watched them do it the right way and quickly get things dialed in.

Making the journey work.

Once I began work as an ambassador for Upwork, hosting educational events and interviews for the community, I quickly realized I have a true passion for this - educating and supporting the success of our community and enabling people to find the joy and freedom of freelancing and taking ownership of their experience. I moved into Upwork Event Manager role in a similar way I moved up in my tech startup roles - Find where the gaps are > identify if I have skills/ability to contribute to the solution > dive in and see how it goes. I organically lean more towards a forgiveness rather than permission model, and fortunately I find it typically goes well so long as I'm approaching it from an uplifting and objective focused viewpoint - not a self-serving motivation.

I have so much fun and fulfillment hosting a wide array of events for Upwork communities. The commentary and feedback I get from attendees who are experiencing much of the same concerns, growing pains, struggles etc as I did when growing my independent business makes all the effort that goes into crafting these events totally worth it.

Career story conclusion.

If I can contribute in even the smallest way to assisting a fellow human find their bliss and freedom in being a freelancer, then I measure that as success!

Connect With Will on Upwork 

This article was submitted by and expresses the views and opinions of the individual listed as the author. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Upwork, and Upwork does not explicitly sponsor or endorse any of the views, opinions, tools or services mentioned in this article, all of which are provided as potential options according to the view of the author. Each reader and company should take the time needed to adequately analyze and determine the tools, practices, and services that would best fit their specific needs and situations.