🐈
» Forums » Clients » 6 things to be careful about from our experie...
Page options
2937a7ac
Community Member

6 things to be careful about from our experience as a client if hiring low budget level developers

EDIT: My experience is from low budget level software developers freelancers. Approx $10/hour. I agree this does not apply to all the budget levels and all the domains.
This also applies to providing fulltime workload to a freelancer. 
We get usually 40-50 applications per job post. And the price is very important for us as that is where we make a profit. 

I just want to share our experience as a client.

1. Timezone - you can check the timezone of the worker and compare it with what he is saying/

- happened to us that freelancer was saying he is in Vienna but his clock showed +5 timezone

2. The camera always on. When there is no camera, do not make any deal. Never. 

- Always when there is a camera problem this is a NO to make the deal. Always check the workers visual and his nonverbal communication.
EDIT: Always on during the video calls. NOT always on during the remote work 🙂 

3. Do not allow the second job to be opened at the same time.

- You want to have the worker to work only for you. Make sure he closes all the jobs. It could be that the one which is not closed is not closed because of some issues.

- Also, a freelancer could be working the second job at the same time or on the same day. As he is supposed to work for you, you would like to get his fresh hours, not the second job type of hours.
EDIT: We provide fulltime workload and in our case, it is expected to have only one job. The situation what happened to us is that freelancer had two 8 hours jobs opened even though we have told him our condition.

4. Always set the auto-tracker on.

- Freelancers try to make excuses during the job that the auto-tracker is broken. Do not believe them. They lie. Cancel the job.

5. Check the hours regularly and ask them questions about the details of the work. Have regular video calls with them. Try to understand the work and try to have detailed questions.
- It can happen that the work is not done by them.

6. Make a good test before they start.
-  Sometimes freelancer gets help from some other people and he is not the one actually doing the job or having the right skills to do the job.

Trust your gut feeling, compare the work and behavior of the freelancer with some of your colleagues. How do they behave? If you smell a scammer, it is a scammer 🙂 Stay on the safe side.

Good luck 🙂

Did you also experience similar problems? Leave me a comment.

29 REPLIES 29
prestonhunter
Community Member

Vit:

Thank you for sharing your tips, based on your experience!

It is clear that you understand Upwork for what it is, and don't harbor unrealistic expectations. You are using Upwork as a TOOL, rather than expecting it to be a "magic box" or something. I respect that.

lysis10
Community Member

#2 is dumb.

40b77e4c
Community Member

Thank you so much Vit U for sharing your experience.

browersr
Community Member

There is a good deal draconian in what is being recommended here. If you are hiring low end freelancers then absolutely it all probably makes sense. If you are hiring an actual professional though...I wouldn't consider working with a client who micromanaged and mistrusted me this way. 

To take each item:

1/ This is a red flag but Upwork has explained situations where time zone can differ legitimately. Certainly this is cause for investigation but not outright dismissal.

2/ That is a personal preference. I've never had a client require a video meeting but I have had many audio versions. It is certainly your prerogative to want to see the freelancer but to make a blanket statement that video must be required at all times again says to me that you have never worked with a professional on this site.

3/ I would absolutely never accept this. If I agree to a job I agree to do what it takes to make the progress the client requires. Unless that job is a full time job, and is stated as a full time job, then you have no right to make this demand. Why should the freelancer have to sit on the bench making no money as he awaits your feedback, additional work, etc? If a freelancer is going to run an actual business here than they better have a solid pipeline of work. Who says your job doesn't just stop or reduce hours with no notice? Do you guarantee a full time wage for a certain period of time? You have a right to make sure you are getting what you pay for in the time agreed. You do not have the right to dictate the freelancer's ability to ensure they make money.

4/ You are assuming a time based contract. If the contract is fixed bid then there is no timer. You have the right to require the freelancer use the timer on an hourly contract. Personally I always use the timer because it offers me protection if the client defaults. 

5/ Fully agree that the client has to be their own project manager unless they hire one separately. Again the requirement for a video call is debatable but it's absolutely critical that the client remain highly engaged and watchful of their investment. We largely agree here.

6/ This probably depends on what the job is. Don't expect the freelancer to do free work for you in order to prove their worth. If you want to pay for a test then certainly do so by all means. Otherwise look at their background, profile, portfolio and other artifacts before making your decision. Personally I tell every new client to set maximum weekly hours to 5-10 to start. This protects their investment while giving enough time for them to gauge the freelancer in the real-world. Never start by allowing the 40 hours max. 

Overall I will say again that your experience would seem to indicate that you are working with the shallow-end of the pool here on UW. That's fine but let's not peanut butter that experience across all freelancers here. If you do, you'll likely never work with a true pro as a true pro isn't going to put up with some of these demands. 

Scott B wrote:

3/ I would absolutely never accept this. If I agree to a job I agree to do what it takes to make the progress the client requires. Unless that job is a full time job, and is stated as a full time job, then you have no right to make this demand. Why should the freelancer have to sit on the bench making no money as he awaits your feedback, additional work, etc? If a freelancer is going to run an actual business here than they better have a solid pipeline of work. Who says your job doesn't just stop or reduce hours with no notice? Do you guarantee a full time wage for a certain period of time? You have a right to make sure you are getting what you pay for in the time agreed. You do not have the right to dictate the freelancer's ability to ensure they make money.

This. It's odd how when some clients hire on UpWork, they seem to assume they're paying for a subscription to your work, and there are many who seem to assume that they are your only client, even when they have relatively small projects. Freelancers are not plug'n'play apps from the Google Store and should not be expected to function as such. 

Renata S wrote:

Scott B wrote:

This. It's odd how when some clients hire on UpWork, they seem to assume they're paying for a subscription to your work, and there are many who seem to assume that they are your only client, even when they have relatively small projects. Freelancers are not plug'n'play apps from the Google Store and should not be expected to function as such. 

It's especially irksome when they take days to respond to your messages, but expect you to do what they ask within hours.

To start, you seem like a high-stress client who is not hiring at the right pay grade. Or, you are not hiring the right people. Or you are too cheap to pay a good rate for the right freelancer. That being said, here are my 2 cents.

1. Timezone - you can check the timezone of the worker and compare it with what he is saying/

- happened to us that freelancer was saying he is in Vienna but his clock showed +5 timezone

**I agree if you have a doubt about the actual location of the person you hired, you can use their time zone or clock to “double check”, though, the clock on a person’s computer isn’t always an accurate way to gauge current time. I myself am in the east coast time but have my computer set to west coast time for personal reasons.

2. The camera always on. When there is no camera, do not make any deal. Never. 

- Always when there is a camera problem this is a NO to make the deal. Always check the workers visual and his nonverbal communication.

**You may or may not need a visual interview, not everyone likes to be in front of a camera, I know I don’t, I have no desire to talk to my clients wearing a face mask and jammies, which is how I am most often dressed when working at home.

3. Do not allow the second job to be opened at the same time.

- You want to have the worker to work only for you. Make sure he closes all the jobs. It could be that the one which is not closed is not closed because of some issues.

** You are delusional unless you are paying this person a salary, it is absurd to expect a FREELANCER to work ONLY for you and no one else. You are on the wrong platform if you have this expectation.

- Also, a freelancer could be working the second job at the same time or on the same day. As he is supposed to work for you, you would like to get his fresh hours, not the second job type of hours.

**most freelancers work with at least 3- 4 clients at a time. How will the bills get paid otherwise?

4. Always set the auto-tracker on.

- Freelancers try to make excuses during the job that the auto-tracker is broken. Do not believe them. They lie. Cancel the job.

** for hourly jobs simply disable the manual time option, then there is no way to do anything other than using the time tracker properly. Some people try to abuse the system, most don’t. You need to hire better workers.

5. Check the hours regularly and ask them questions about the details of the work. Have regular video calls with them. Try to understand the work and try to have detailed questions.
- It can happen that the work is not done by them.

**good suggestion, however, if you keep running into people faking their work, you need to hire a better caliber freelancer.

6. Make a good test before they start.
-  Sometimes freelancer gets help from some other people and he is not the one actually doing the job or having the right skills to do the job.

**Same answer as above.

You are right. This applies to low budget freelancers. If I want to make money I have to cut down the costs. I can go to a higher level but then I won't have profits.

It is hard to get good people for a good price. But that is my work. We have been tricked a couple of times.  So this is my experience to hire good people but still for the lowest price possible. The price is very important for us. So again, fully agree, that this does not apply to everyone. Just pay $100/hour and problem solved 🙂 

Ad 3. 
We paid 8 hours a day and the freelancer had another job for 8 hours a day 🙂 And the performance was not good. He was slow. I would not even think he has another 8 hours a day job. But it happened. We directly asked and he lied that the other job is just an open contract. But obviously, you can see how the hours were added each day. 

I should have mentioned this in the original post.

Vit U wrote:

It is hard to get good people for a good price. 

This is because good people generally like to be paid according to their worth. 

If you are looking for bargains, you should try Amazon. If you are looking for people to support the work your business does, you should consider what it costs you to hire people who don't know what they're doing for rock-bottom prices and then hire other people to clean up their messes. If you're undercutting as a way to get business, you should really rethink your business strategy. Maybe find something you can offer that your competitors do not (other than cheap work).  

mtngigi
Community Member

3. Clients are not allowed to dictate how many jobs I can take on - that's not how freelancing works.

ETA: 7. Don't pay peanuts, or you'll get only monkeys.

Vit, I bet there are more than 6 things freelancers are careful about when they choose a client.

If a client insisted for me to have the camera on all the time, I wouldn't accept his/her job. First, I don't have a camera, second it's still probably illegal to snoop on people like that. You should stop that right away.

Sorry, there is probably a mistake because of my English. The camera should be on during the sync up calls, during the initial interviews, during the demos, and so on.

Not always on 🙂 

2937a7ac
Community Member

Yes, this is for low budget jobs and low budget freelancers. It would be better to write it in my post.

This does not apply for professionals with tons of experience and high prices. I did not describe it in a good way.

Happened to us that freelancer had also the second job. He billed us 8 hours a day and he billed also the other job 8 hours a day. On the direct question if he is working on something else he said no, but he lied. We did not want him to have another 8 hours on the top of 8 hours for us.

So, of course, multiple jobs are allowed, but in the specific case, like ours, it was cheating. 

Vit U wrote:

Yes, this is for low budget jobs and low budget freelancers. It would be better to write it in my post.

This does not apply for professionals with tons of experience and high prices. I did not describe it in a good way.

Happened to us that freelancer had also the second job. He billed us 8 hours a day and he billed also the other job 8 hours a day. On the direct question if he is working on something else he said no, but he lied. We did not want him to have another 8 hours on the top of 8 hours for us.

So, of course, multiple jobs are allowed, but in the specific case, like ours, it was cheating. 

So your OP is wrong, I think. You've started with a series of tips that seem "universal" and it turns out that it's your experience with a particular freelancer. Or has this happened to you more times?
If so, do not blame anyone but you.

So your OP is wrong, I think. You've started with a series of tips that seem "universal" and it turns out that it's your experience with a particular freelancer. Or has this happened to you more times?
If so, do not blame anyone but you.

Yes, I blame myself, I have done mistakes and had to pay for my them. I also try to share the experiences about my mistakes.

I have edit the initial post so it is more accurate. It was wrong with not .enough information provided. I am not good at writing, so the post was not that good. I am not a writer neither the HR manager or recruiter 🙂 

And yes, I also blame the software development freelancers, which try to scam clients. I have learned new experiences so I can be more careful. That what the post is about. I think there is lots of valuable information for some future clients like me already in this thread from both sides 🙂 

lysis10
Community Member

Vit U wrote:

Wow, I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you, said absolutely nobody reading this thread.

m_terrazas
Community Member

I'm a freelancer because I do not want a "botfly" hovering around my head while I'm working.
If a client offers me a job and presents this list of requirements, it can be a juicy contract, I would start running.
And I hope that not many customers will read your advice!

Maria T wrote:

I'm a freelancer because I do not want a "botfly" hovering around my head while I'm working.
If a client offers me a job and presents this list of requirements, it can be a juicy contract, I would start running.
And I hope that not many customers will read your advice!

I did not provide enough information in my initial post. This does not apply to all the jobs, clients and freelancers.

We target lower budget software developers ($10/hour) and we provide like a fulltime workload a day. We get lots of applications (40-50) and the price is a high criterion for us.

This, of course, does not apply for all domain and probably not for all budget levels.

prantu
Community Member

Hi Vit,

If you assume a freelancer is a worker and you expect to work only for you then I guess you fall into the category of high-maintenance clients that freelancers should be careful about.

As everybody has pointed out the problems with your list, let me focus on just one point.

Make sure he closes all the jobs. It could be that the one which is not closed is not closed because of some issues.

I don't know from how many years of experience of managing freelancers you've gained this information, here are my two cents.

1. There is something called "ongoing projects" which needs to be .. well, ongoing and open. How can a freelancer close that if a client needs regular updates on his website for a whole year?

2. Some clients vanish after getting their products and go no contact. We, the freelancers patiently wait for them to close the contract day after day because if WE close it, we don't get any review plus it might impact on JSS. So, some contracts are here to stay for loooooong time.

3. IF I were to work on just your freelance contract, who is gonna pay the rest of my monthly bills and rent?

After seeing your post, I checked my profile and I have 18 ongoing contracts. I have not encountered a single complaint regarding this from any of my clients for 3 years of my freelancing career.

"I'm silently judging your font choice."

2937a7ac
Community Member

Tamal S wrote:

Hi Vit,

If you assume a freelancer is a worker and you expect to work only for you then I guess you fall into the category of high-maintenance clients that freelancers should be careful about.

As everybody has pointed out the problems with your list, let me focus on just one point.

Make sure he closes all the jobs. It could be that the one which is not closed is not closed because of some issues.

I don't know from how many years of experience of managing freelancers you've gained this information, here are my two cents.

1. There is something called "ongoing projects" which needs to be .. well, ongoing and open. How can a freelancer close that if a client needs regular updates on his website for a whole year?

2. Some clients vanish after getting their products and go no contact. We, the freelancers patiently wait for them to close the contract day after day because if WE close it, we don't get any review plus it might impact on JSS. So, some contracts are here to stay for loooooong time.

3. IF I were to work on just your freelance contract, who is gonna pay the rest of my monthly bills and rent?

After seeing your post, I checked my profile and I have 18 ongoing contracts. I have not encountered a single complaint regarding this from any of my clients for 3 years of my freelancing career.

Hi Tamal, thanks for the reply.

Here is the situation. We target low budget freelancers as we are having pressure on the hourly rate, so we need to stay on that level. Software developers approx. $10/hour.

They can fake the Upwork tests easily and they do.

They can fake the answers in the written application. And they do.

So we send the test. They can get someone else to write the test. And they do.

So we need the camera and make a detailed interview with some which have left from the initial group of 40-50 people. So we can see them, how they speak and so on. They know this, but it happens that just before the call, the camera is broken all of a sudden. Yes, happened a couple of times. They promise to fix it, but they fail to do that.

So after a lot of hours you have you one or two good solid guys. So you start work with them.

After a couple of days, they can write you that the auto tracker is broken and they have contacted the support and they do not know how to fix it. Yes, this happened. So you allow them manual edit because you have spent so many hours already with candidates, you have the project running and you need the developer and you TRUST him. After 4 weeks the hours are overall a bit too much. So it raises questions. Then you see there is one more job running. Which is totally fine in 99% cases. But it can also be that you just run into a scammer, how is having two jobs, cheated you with the auto tracker and he is billing two customers 16 hours a day in total. 

After all of that, we have spent quite some hours to get to a good developer, we have started a project with a scammer, we need to get some internal resources to finish the job as we have a deadline and we have paid him already for extra work. And we need to find a new guy and through the process again. 

So If I would more strictly follow the rules, which I have written I would be covered better. 

This, of course, as many of you wrote already, does not apply to everyone, not all budget levels, not all domains.

I used the word worker as I was in emotions and angry how we have been tricked and so many people trying to trick us constantly. Believe me, we have also very good experience with some honest and more professional people here and like them a lot, I respect them a lot and I want to work with them again.

But unfortunately, there is also a big group of people just ruining this spirit here 😞 So it is good to be very careful not to get tricked after weeks of work. 

It is not impossible to work 16 hours a day.  Maybe not every day, but it can happen in real life and online. You have no idea of any agreement that the person had with another client, you only know yours. You also have no way of knowing if hours are tracked on the same day to your contract as it is to another contract, you don't have access to said freelancers account. You can only see what shows for the weekly amount on their public profile. Also, if you got your proper 8 hours of work, you were in no way cheated, even if they did work for another client, same day or not. Your whole post is really just a rant about how your inability to pay a professional wage for professional work is leading to the problems you have listed. You would not have as many junk applicants if you paid a better wage, you would need less time to get the same work done by paying a better wage, you would spend less time micromanaging people who are treating you like you treat them if you pay a better wage and hire accordingly.  Everyone has a budget, and I get that, but you should always remember that QUALITY is better than QUANTITY and any field.  Best of luck though.

Heather H wrote:

It is not impossible to work 16 hours a day.  Maybe not every day, but it can happen in real life and online. You have no idea of any agreement that the person had with another client, you only know yours. You also have no way of knowing if hours are tracked on the same day to your contract as it is to another contract, you don't have access to said freelancers account. You can only see what shows for the weekly amount on their public profile. Also, if you got your proper 8 hours of work, you were in no way cheated, even if they did work for another client, same day or not. Your whole post is really just a rant about how your inability to pay a professional wage for professional work is leading to the problems you have listed. You would not have as many junk applicants if you paid a better wage, you would need less time to get the same work done by paying a better wage, you would spend less time micromanaging people who are treating you like you treat them if you pay a better wage and hire accordingly.  Everyone has a budget, and I get that, but you should always remember that QUALITY is better than QUANTITY and any field.  Best of luck though.

You are right, but we are a software agency. When I really simplify what we do and how we make a profit: "We make money only when we sell one hour of development for more than we buy the hour." So it is my work to build the teams, which build the software for our clients and we build this for cheaper than sell it 🙂 

It was one particular experience when we agreed on the full-time workload and after simple question about performance and about having any other second job the freelancer told us he does not have any other job. And we could see how he is adding more hours to the other contract every day. So he just lied 😞 

kat303
Community Member

You are right, but we are a software agency. When I really simplify what we do and how we make a profit: "We make money only when we sell one hour of development for more than we buy the hour." So it is my work to build the teams, which build the software for our clients and we build this for cheaper than sell it Smiley Happy 

You have every right on this site to set a very low budget and p[ick the lowest proposal price submitted by freelances. You have every right to have a camera interview, to expect your freelancer (NOT your employee by the way) to only work on your terms. You have every right to dismiss proposals or to close contract when your conditions are not met.

You may very well get 40 to 50 freelancers responding to those conditions. And of course you want to make a profit. But with the problems you have with liars, and scammers, and undone or half finished work is it really worth it? If so, don't vent about it, don't complain about it, don't advise what a client should look for, ----- just deal with it. 

prantu
Community Member

Hi Vit, Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I understand your situation. But if you calculate the amount of time you are investing to find this magical unicorn who is a software developer w/ 10$/hr rate (for every project) vs your savings from the actual contract apart from the code quality of a 10$/hr developer, you would see a solution.

Also,

Software developers approx. $10/hour.
This, of course, as many of you wrote already, does not apply to everyone, not all budget levels, not all domains.

It only applies to 1%

So, your title is wrong. It should be "6 things to be careful about if you are gonna pay peanuts to a software developer"

2937a7ac
Community Member

Tamal S wrote:

Hi Vit, Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I understand your situation. But if you calculate the amount of time you are investing to find this magical unicorn who is a software developer w/ 10$/hr rate (for every project) vs your savings from the actual contract apart from the code quality of a 10$/hr developer, you would see a solution.

Also,

Software developers approx. $10/hour.

It only applies to 1%

So, your title is wrong. It should be "6 things to be careful about if you are gonna pay peanuts to a software developer"

I think you do not fully understand the situation even though you think you understand. Believe me, I am not searching for some magic unicorn. And believe me, I can get decent quality for a good price. 

Yes, the original post was wrong, not complete, yes the title should have been different. 

But the advise just pay more and all your problems with be solved is just not a valid answer to my situation.

Also, I would not use the word "peanuts". It is a low budget segment, so it is my work to get through the process, to get good software to my clients for a good price. That is how the market works. But once I get a freelancer and we have an agreement, I do not have the right to get what we have agreed on? I did not force anyone to make an agreement with me. But once the agreement is done it needs to be fulfilled without cheating or scams. As I have this good experience from other freelancers. 

Maybe you think I am kind of rich client who just wants to pressure all the freelancers, but that is not the case. I wish I could pay more to get more decent quality, to have fewer troubles, I really wish I could do that 🙂 

prantu
Community Member

But the advise just pay more and all your problems with be solved is just not a valid answer to my situation.

Let me state the obvious here which you seem to ignore every time.

Very low hourly rate (e.g. 10$ for a software developer) =

• The freelancer is very new
  • has little to no experience in software development lifecycle
  • doesn't have experience in a real-life production level project
  • has very few grasps on the core level of your software language 
  • doesn't know what unit testing is
  • hasn't collaborated with an actual team, no MVP or MVVP approach
  • ...etc
  • Takes ten hours to complete a one hour job which breaks other things he doesn't know

Good Hourly rate (60-100$/hr)= 

• Already has experience for 2-3 years working with teams
  • knows how to code correctly and efficiently
  • knows the core modules of the language
  • produces production level software with great unit testing
  • ...etc
  • Takes one hour to complete a one hour job

So why are some people charging less? Because they don't have enough experience and expertise or they have just started programming.

But once I get a freelancer and we have an agreement, I do not have the right to get what we have agreed on? I did not force anyone to make an agreement with me. But once the agreement is done it needs to be fulfilled without cheating or scams.

But you want [to hire super-entry-level programmers to deliver you] good software for your clients. This doesn't add up, see? That's why most of the freelancers you getting are scammers or cheaters. And you are exhausted from finding a developer-fairy who doesn't even exist. 

2937a7ac
Community Member

Tamal S wrote:

Let me state the obvious here which you seem to ignore every time.

Very low hourly rate (e.g. 10$ for a software developer) =

• The freelancer is very new
  • has little to no experience in software development lifecycle
  • doesn't have experience in a real-life production level project
  • has very few grasps on the core level of your software language 
  • doesn't know what unit testing is
  • hasn't collaborated with an actual team, no MVP or MVVP approach
  • ...etc
  • Takes ten hours to complete a one hour job which breaks other things he doesn't know

Good Hourly rate (60-100$/hr)= 

• Already has experience for 2-3 years working with teams
  • knows how to code correctly and efficiently
  • knows the core modules of the language
  • produces production level software with great unit testing
  • ...etc
  • Takes one hour to complete a one hour job

So why are some people charging less? Because they don't have enough experience and expertise or they have just started programming.

But once I get a freelancer and we have an agreement, I do not have the right to get what we have agreed on? I did not force anyone to make an agreement with me. But once the agreement is done it needs to be fulfilled without cheating or scams.

But you want [to hire super-entry-level programmers to deliver you] good software for your clients. This doesn't add up, see? That's why most of the freelancers you getting are scammers or cheaters. And you are exhausted from finding a developer-fairy who doesn't even exist. 

I think this is getting away from the original topic. I can see that you would like to defend the good quality work, which is good. Let's have a private chat or call so I can explain to you.

Just my last comment. I have never said it is easy. It is my job to get the magical combination which you believe that does not exist. But it exists. If it would not exist, why I would be still doing that? 

Simple question. Do you know my business and my work for the last couple of years? Or you know my business and my work from just a few comments here and maybe my profile? 

You ignore the fact that someone is cheating. That is the point. No, we have people who agree on the terms and they just work. They do not cheat. Is that surprising? 

Again you are very right about what you write, but also you miss small pieces because you just do not know my business.  When you would see all the numbers you would understand. 

Thanks a lot for valuable input Tamal. Take care.

Vit U, obviously you understand that you "get what you pay for" but have you ever attempted offering fixed price contracts or would it be impossible in your field to say "do X amount of coding for Y dollars" with a due date and let them take how many hours it takes based on their skills?

Chloe F wrote:
Vit U, obviously you understand that you "get what you pay for" but have you ever attempted offering fixed price contracts or would it be impossible in your field to say "do X amount of coding for Y dollars" with a due date and let them take how many hours it takes based on their skills?

Hi Chloe,

yes, that is also an option. But I do not like fix price model myself as it is very risky in so unpredictive environment as software development can be, so I also do not want to push the developers into fix price model.  

Latest Articles
Learning Paths