🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: A client is asking for free job and keeps...
Page options
sergioh89
Community Member

A client is asking for free job and keeps pushing me into take communications out of Upwork

Like the title says a client is asking for free job and keeps pushing me into take communications out of Upwork. I refused and told her to make a call within the platform, I picked up and answer her questions, then she told me about her project. After we ended the call she asked me for a "test" wich is the whole job and it is unpaid, she send me the links to the raw footage and the website to which I need to upload the "test". I told her that I need to ensure a payment for my work and would need a contract to start working, to which she replied: "Sure, I can do that later" and proceeds to ask for my Skype id again.

I really don't wanna work with someone who's obviosuly a scammer, but I would like to get my connects back in order to apply to an actual job. By the way I asume she's asking for free work to several freelancers and then hire just one to legal up the project (see the screenshots), judging by her recent "projects" she's been scamming a decent number of freelancers and masking her activity by hiring just one (probably the cheapest) after some unlucky ones submit their "test".

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sergio,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I'll be sure to share your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and do use the flag option found on each job post anytime you suspect.

Regarding direct communication, it's fine to communicate with your clients by other means outside the platform after they respond to your proposal. I do however advise you to copy all the files and communication into the contract's message room after each conversation, and ask your client for acknowledgment, in order to keep a record in case a problem arises.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
65dab6ce
Community Member

Sergio,

You can flag the job as inappropriate and Upwork should take care of it.

If the job is closed and removed by Upwork for violating TOS, I beleive you should get your connects back.

All the best!

petra_r
Community Member

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with communicating with clients outside the platform, so that isn't an issue. Most freelancers I know have never once managed to make the voice- video chat on Upwork work. I know I certainly won't

As for the free work - just click the "Flag as inappropriate" flag on the job post and decline / move on.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sergio,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I'll be sure to share your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and do use the flag option found on each job post anytime you suspect.

Regarding direct communication, it's fine to communicate with your clients by other means outside the platform after they respond to your proposal. I do however advise you to copy all the files and communication into the contract's message room after each conversation, and ask your client for acknowledgment, in order to keep a record in case a problem arises.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths