🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: A fraud freelancer stole my money, provid...
Page options
c56c8f90
Community Member

A fraud freelancer stole my money, provided evidence of her fool plays! How can I be refunded!

So good people 

I hired a freelancer to help me on a specific project. She misconvied me into being an expert, and she asked for hourly billing, of which I was fool to accept (believing upwork will be there whenever I needed help)!

After she took $410 over the course of three months, I discovered upon our discussion that she was literally joking around with no work at all produced. Whenever I asked for update "I'm working on it", until boom: I found she was even talking about different topic. 

I disputed, she rejected the dispute, the meditation came. The mediation employee asked her three times for proof of work, she literally provided a figure of her sending google links to me! She then claimed to have worked on a code that she claimed that she made it from scratch. When she uploaded it, I posted back with the original source of that code, that this scammer didn't even change a letter from it (Yep, it was a letter-by-letter, copy and paste code, even on different topic!). 

After all, the employee told me that she cannot rule out in favor or anyone as mediation is about reaching mutual agreement, and that she cannot force the freelancer to reufnd the money at any case!

WHAAAT! She has proof of fool play and lies in front of her eyes. That freelancer never even replied back to her continues request for proof of work. Now I'm being charged $410 for literally nothing. 

Please help. What should I do!

6 REPLIES 6
sbilu131521
Community Member

Hi Mark,
Have you contacted with Upwork support team?

Please contact them and tell them everything with proof. They can not give your money refunded until the freelancer is ready to do so. But at least they can ban the freelancer so that no one will get cheated again.

Thanks

hodgesh
Community Member

You are supposed to review the work each week when you've hired someone on an hourly contract, then dispute the hours if something is wrong. That's how Upwork protects you. You aren't supposed to wait months. You shouldn't have let 3 months pass without getting any work or updates.

jr-translation
Community Member

Mark M wrote:

So good people 

I hired a freelancer to help me on a specific project. She misconvied me into being an expert, and she asked for hourly billing, of which I was fool to accept (believing upwork will be there whenever I needed help)!

After she took $410 over the course of three months, I discovered upon our discussion that she was literally joking around with no work at all produced. Whenever I asked for update "I'm working on it", until boom: I found she was even talking about different topic. 

I disputed, she rejected the dispute, the meditation came. The mediation employee asked her three times for proof of work, she literally provided a figure of her sending google links to me! She then claimed to have worked on a code that she claimed that she made it from scratch. When she uploaded it, I posted back with the original source of that code, that this scammer didn't even change a letter from it (Yep, it was a letter-by-letter, copy and paste code, even on different topic!). 

After all, the employee told me that she cannot rule out in favor or anyone as mediation is about reaching mutual agreement, and that she cannot force the freelancer to reufnd the money at any case!

WHAAAT! She has proof of fool play and lies in front of her eyes. That freelancer never even replied back to her continues request for proof of work. Now I'm being charged $410 for literally nothing. 

Please help. What should I do!

Close the contract and leave an honest feedback. Try not to rant but to be discribe the situation as calm as possible for future clients. Some freelancers are inclined to refund the money for a job with a negative feedback. This is no guarantee but you might get some money back. If the freelancer offers a partial refund for a more positiv feedback, you can agree to that. You will have two weeks to change your feedback as often as you like. This way you might get some money back and can still leave an honest feedback. But this is no guarantee to see any of the money again.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "After she took $410 over the course of three months..."

Over the course of three months???

That's not how refunds work.

9d8ae0b3
Community Member

I am in the same boat. Unfortunately, there are really good scammers out there who upload fake work diaries in order to get hourly payment. The fraudulent hours don't become obvious until you ask the freelancer more and more questions to which they then have difficulty responding to because they aren't doing the work. 

Upwork needs to do better in protecting clients becaus we aren't and shouldn't have to evaluate a hired freelancer every week. Even if we do, there are scams that don't look like scams at first. That's why there are still so many successful scams out there!

smtdoo
Community Member

You are complaining ...
But you hired him, fell for the low price of the "master from YouTube" and got the expected result
Most of the profiles that the majority of clients choose with low rates are worth nothing ...
You value low prices, but not knowledge ...
You are afraid to do business with real professionals, because knowledge is expensive, and as a result, posts appear that customers have been deceived ... So turn on your head, learn to negotiate with professionals ... And believe me, the results will not keep you waiting ...

Latest Articles
Learning Paths