Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

A freelancer, *Edited*, cheated my money, what do I do now

340e8afe
Active Member
Jason B Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
1 of 8

A freelancer, **Edited for Community Guidelines**, said she will post my article on mashable so I gave half the amount as a deposit. However, she has since stopped replying. I believe she's a fraud. What should I do now?

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 8

You can ask Upwork why they haven't suspended her yet. You're not the first client to complain about her; read this:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Two-upwork-freelancers-scammed-my-money-What-do-I-do-now/td-...

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
voskerchian
Community Guru
Hasmik V Member Since: Aug 12, 2017
3 of 8

Hey Jason,

Sorry for the experience you had to face. Well, there is no need to pay anything as a deposit, Upwork takes care of protecting the payment for both sides.

Anyway, you can contact support for help and report her too.

Best wishes!

 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 8

@Hasmik V wrote:

Hey Jason,

Sorry for the experience you had to face. Well, there is no need to pay anything as a deposit, Upwork takes care of protecting the payment for both sides.

Anyway, you can contact support for help and report her too.

Best wishes!

 


 On a fixed price job, the only protection provided to the freelancer is that if the freelancer chooses to pay $291 for arbitration, Upwork will hold on to the money until that is resolved. If a client opts to request a refund of escrow on a completed fixed price job, the freelancer has zero protection without paying for arbitration.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 8

Hi Jason,

 

I checked and it doesn't look like you've hired a freelancer on Upwork and paid any money via the platform yet. If you paid the freelancer directly, then it's not only a serious violation of Upwork ToS but also means that the payment can't be covered by Upwork Protection.

 

I'll have the team further review this situation and the freelancer's account.

~ Valeria
Upwork
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 8

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Jason,

 

I checked and it doesn't look like you've hired a freelancer on Upwork and paid any money via the platform yet. If you paid the freelancer directly, then it's not only a serious violation of Upwork ToS but also means that the payment can't be covered by Upwork Protection.

 

I'll have the team further review this situation and the freelancer's account.


Valeria, it's a violation for the client to be sure, but a bigger violation for the freelancer, so I *really* hope action will be taken quickly. 

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
7 of 8

Based on the thread that another community member posted, it looks like both you and the other person this "freelancer" scammed also paid the "freelancer" through Paypal. (If it is the same, I saw both posts after the name was removed).

 

For the sake of any other new clients reading:

1 - Upwork requires all payments to go through this platform. This is a terms of service violation for both clients and freelancers. On this platform, scammers often try to lure scammees off Upwork so there is no protection. I have worked with private (non-platform) clients through Paypal, but the difference is anyone here who suggests alternate payments is demonstrating that they don't respect their agreements. If a stranger on the internet intentionally violates one agreement, what is to stop him/her from violating an agreement with you? If this "freelancer" suggested payment off platform, send screenshots to Upwork as they might ban her.

2 - Outside of platforms, 50% deposit is pretty common but it is unnecessary here. Here we have escrow, that is part of what the freelancer pays Upwork for.  Here it makes more sense to fund a milestone 100%, then approve it (or request revisions) after the freelancer completes that portion of the work.

 

 

 

 
 
bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
8 of 8

@Samantha S wrote:

2 - Outside of platforms, 50% deposit is pretty common but it is unnecessary here. Here we have escrow, that is part of what the freelancer pays Upwork for.  Here it makes more sense to fund a milestone 100%, then approve it (or request revisions) after the freelancer completes that portion of the work.

 

 

 

 
 

 That is part of the problem here with many cheating clients!  In outside world that is the mechanism where freelancer does not lose too much money.  They are always a step ahead.Upwork has no such mechanism.  Here the freelancer is two steps behind.  Money from escrow is not freelancer;s money.  Freelancer has to do the work before seeing any money (one step)  Client has to approve (second step) and they can always use gazillion of reasons to either extract more work or take your work and say they are not happy.  Hourly jobs with time tracking offers better protection, but here also they also have 5 days to dispute the hours.

 

Take a look at this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Re-Freelancer-does-not-deliver-the-codes-after-a-dispute/m-p...

 

Of course, we don't have all the facts.  But the client approved 3 milestones and would not give money after the 4th, but still wanted the code.  We don't know if he wanted the code up to milestone 3 or the code for the work done up to 4.  If later is the case he may be trying to get almost completed work at 3/4 of the price.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS