🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: A freelancer doesn't meet deadlines.
Page options
f55a03c8
Community Member

A freelancer doesn't meet deadlines.

Hello Community,

A freelancer that I hired doesn't meet deadlines. 90% of the project was done, and I was promised that the last milestone would be finished in 3 days maximum, but in fact it's already more than a month, and it's still not finished. I didn't want to end the contract because that person knows it well due to the fact that he was the only one who's been working on it. Maybe I'm too naive to believe people when they promise something, but maybe there's a way to solve the problem.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "thought of it many times, and I'm not sure if I can end the contract without paying for this last not finished milestone. Can I?"

You seem to be putting the needs if this freelancer ahead of your own needs. Don't do that. Put your project first.

You can hire other people at any time. It does not matter what other contracts you have.

You have many options. You can do nothing with the contract. Just leave it alone. Or you could release any remaining funds and close the contract unilaterally. Or you could close it while changing the amount to release to zero, to trigger an automated refund request. Or you could ask the freelancer beforehand if you may release half of the payment to him immediately if he will accept your request to be refunded the other half.

Many options. None of which are really important. The important thing is finishing your project.

How much money is funded in escrow for this last milestone?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Assign the remaining work to the other team members.

That'd be easy. Unfortunately, that freelancer is the only one team member.
petra_r
Community Member

Alexander S wrote:
That'd be easy. Unfortunately, that freelancer is the only one team member.

Hire someone else

I thought of it many times, and I'm not sure if I can end the contract without paying for this last not finished milestone. Can I?

re: "thought of it many times, and I'm not sure if I can end the contract without paying for this last not finished milestone. Can I?"

You seem to be putting the needs if this freelancer ahead of your own needs. Don't do that. Put your project first.

You can hire other people at any time. It does not matter what other contracts you have.

You have many options. You can do nothing with the contract. Just leave it alone. Or you could release any remaining funds and close the contract unilaterally. Or you could close it while changing the amount to release to zero, to trigger an automated refund request. Or you could ask the freelancer beforehand if you may release half of the payment to him immediately if he will accept your request to be refunded the other half.

Many options. None of which are really important. The important thing is finishing your project.

How much money is funded in escrow for this last milestone?

Thank you for the reply. I didn't know I could end the contract and reduce the amount to be paid. It's a little bit less than 200$ in escrow for this milestone. I think I'd better do like you said.
Thank you again!

One of the most reliable ways to get money back is to simply ask. It costs nothing to ask.

"Luke:
Thank you for all your work on the project. For my scheduling purposes, I need to move forward with the next steps on the project, and I don't want you to worry about any of that. Other team members can finish what needs to be done. If I end the contract now, would you be willilng to refund half? I would appreciate your coorporation, and you would NOT need to do any more work on this. You would receive $100 immediately, you would have my gratitude, and there would be no more work for you to do."

Alexander: I think this method has a reasonably high probability of success in getting some money back.

You ALSO have the option of simply releasing all the funds and closing the contract, and there is NOTHING that the freelancer could do about it.

If the freelancer does NOT agree to a refund, you can STILL REQUEST a refund. You could request half. Or you could request ALL of the escrow money back. But remember, if you request ANY refund, the option will be sent to the freelancer to agree or disagree. That is why I recommend discussing any possible refund requests with the freelancer BEFORE you close a contract, in order to secure the freelancer's cooporation first.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths