🐈
» Forums » Clients » About this Freelancer- *edited*
Page options
4f1710c2
Community Member

About this Freelancer- *edited*

So, I had hired this freelancer **edited for Community Guidelines**  to design my game box. She did a good job and I was perfectly fine with her. 

After that, I told her, if she can do me an extra favour to check previous related work and just let me know the sizes of my game cards. I didn't ask for any design work...just to let me know the sizes as I do not have any photoshop software. 

She refused to do it. 

I told her, it's a less than 10 mins job. I was really expecting you to help me and for doing this extra work, I would have been grateful to you and most probably would have hired you for another design work. But she refused and said, we don't do free work. I said, okay fine, but I was really expecting this small favour from you, all right, we won't see each other again and I won't give you any more tasks. I had NEVER said that I won't pay her for her design work or I would delay payment etc. In fact, I paid her right away, after that conversation. I also gave her a good rating. 

But now, see what she wrote about me- 

BE AWARE of WORKING WITH THIS CLIENT. MAY FORCE YOU FOR FREE WORK. I WILL REPORT THIS TO UPWORK FOR SURE"

I didn't FORCE her anything even for once. 

Tell me how do I complain about this freelancer?

16 REPLIES 16
andreag22
Community Member

Taking everything you said as true, you still should not have asked for anything for free. Sadly, you put yourself in this position.

She didn't ask for any extra payment. I thought she would help...but she did not and I didn't complain to anyone or hold her payment. I just told her- you missed an opportunity to go for extra mile for your clients. That one favour could have brought you a few other jobs. 

IF you read this book, titled, The Culture Code. It' was considered one of the best non-fiction in 2019. where the writer mentioned, how one restaurant became the Best and Most Admired Restuarant in New York City. - just by doing extra service to their clients, including serving very expensive wine for free or delivering customized cuisine, without charging customers.

petra_r
Community Member

Naguib C wrote:

She didn't ask for any extra payment. I thought she would help...

You asked for free work. 

Do you go into shops and ask for free stuff too? 

Who does something like that? 

The freelancer was absolutely right.

Great freelancers go the extra mile for their clients, if the clients deserve it. The only thing clients who ask for free work deserve is being reported for violating the terms of service.

If you had asked the freelancer how much it would cost to do the extra thing, she may well have said "Don't worry, no charge"

lysis10
Community Member

Naguib C wrote:

So, I had hired this freelancer **edited for Community Guidelines**  to design my game box. She did a good job and I was perfectly fine with her. 

After that, I told her, if she can do me an extra favour to check previous related work and just let me know the sizes of my game cards. I didn't ask for any design work...just to let me know the sizes as I do not have any photoshop software. 

She refused to do it. 

I told her, it's a less than 10 mins job. I was really expecting you to help me and for doing this extra work, I would have been grateful to you and most probably would have hired you for another design work. But she refused and said, we don't do free work. I said, okay fine, but I was really expecting this small favour from you, all right, we won't see each other again and I won't give you any more tasks. I had NEVER said that I won't pay her for her design work or I would delay payment etc. In fact, I paid her right away, after that conversation. I also gave her a good rating. 

But now, see what she wrote about me- 

BE AWARE of WORKING WITH THIS CLIENT. MAY FORCE YOU FOR FREE WORK. I WILL REPORT THIS TO UPWORK FOR SURE"

I didn't FORCE her anything even for once. 

Tell me how do I complain about this freelancer?

Good for her. I like her. Grateful doesn't pay the bills. You're asking her to waste 10 mins for free. Why don't you just pay her for 10 mins? God I wish this was reddit so I could say more.

4f1710c2
Community Member

She did not ask for extra payment for that job. 

You will have major issues, post-COVID. Still didn't learn how many people are doing many free work for others...many companies giving free access, including ZOOM. Why don't they charge people? They spent millions to develop their software. 

Because it is good publicity.

Personally, I would have done an extra 10 minutes of work for you for free, but then I also would have charged you around $800 to design a board game box. Seeing as your budget was $50, I'd say that you got a pretty good deal even without any free work.

At any rate, your freelancer fulfilled the terms of your agreement, so there's no reason to report her. 

We ended the contract..I made payment on time. That's it. But then she wrote bad things about me and gave me a rating 1 out of 5. Why? I had no issue with the design work and I gave her appropriate rating (4.1 out of 5). I didn't even with any bad comments. 

By the way, it was only the box design and USD 50 I guess was good. ....I had spent more than USD 1,000 for the game design, already.

For a USD 800 cover design, **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Naguib C wrote:

By the way, it was only the box design and USD 50 I guess was good. ....I had spent more than USD 1,000 for the game design, already.

$50 is far from "good" (you clearly don't understand what's involved in creating a packaging design), and the amount that you previously spent on the game is not the designer's problem. My guess is that she DID do at least 5-6 hours of work for free, and you gave her a 4.1 review, which is also not "good". I hope that she shows up in the forum at some point; I'll advise her to double her prices. I saw her other reviews and her work is in demand; believe me, you got a bargain. If you don't want to work with her again, then you're the one who's losing out, not her.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

data_divas
Community Member

You simply could have asked her to do the extra work and mentioned how much you were going to pay her for it.  You didn't offer any extra money and then was upset when she wouldn't do your extra "10 minutes worth of work" for free.  If it only takes 10 minutes and should be done for free, why didn't you do it yourself?

The original job didn't pay that much to start with, you could have offered an extra $5 or $10 to have her do the additional work. Sure lots of people would have done it for free but you can't expect someone to work for free and then complain when they don't.  Do you know how many times we here, "just do this extra for nothing and I have a lot of future work for you!".  Many times and the future work never appears.

Sorry but you were in the wrong.

a_lipsey
Community Member

So you pressured her more than once to do you a "favor" and when she said no and made a note of it so other freelancers would know, you came here to report her? Maybe some people do "favors" for clients, but she is not one of them, and that's her right - to choose how and when and where and with whom she does business. She also had no idea what kind of rating you would leave her when she left that remark, it's double-blind feedback. So she likely thought you would leave her poor feedback because you tried to pressure her to do free work - and if you ask more than once when she says no, then yes, that's pressuring. And the fact that you never offered to make payment when she said no, also pressuring. No offense, but based on your behavior, you're the kind of client we all dread.  

Don't worry, you'll still find other freelancers you can pressure, I mean, offer work to. Most freelancers at the rate you are offering don't heed the kind of warnings she left for others. 

I DIDNT pressure her. Excuse me! How did you come up with such an understanding?

I had only asked her for a favor and when she refused, I told her that having that favor would have made her my preferred designer for my next job, due to her kindness. 

I didn't block her payment or even delay the payment for an hour! I paid her within 3 mins after she sent me the files. 

So, how did the word 'pressure' coming from??

I gave her a 4.1 rating out of 5 and did not leave any comments ( neither good or bad). 

But she gave me a 1 rating! 

By the way you are behaving here I will go ahead and say you did pressure her. You are pressuring us to agree with you right now with your insistence...

She said no, that should have been it, telling her that she would have gotten more work from you if she did that for free is insisting on the matter in the hopes she will change her mind.

She could have been more professional in her comments? Yes, but refusing to do work for free was right.

Also, it is so frustrating to me when I see any reviews with less than 5 stars with no explanation, the point is to politely and professionally illustrate why the freelancer did not deserve 5 stars.

Naguib C wrote:

I DIDNT pressure her. Excuse me! How did you come up with such an understanding?

I had only asked her for a favor and when she refused, I told her that having that favor would have made her my preferred designer for my next job, due to her kindness

RED.

That is exactly how pressure works on here.

And, who knows what a dressing down you gave her in the private feedback.

Please forget those stars you gave her; it's not all that important.

She knows your private feedback is more important and that it might well have been really bad.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

I had to edit the posts to make sure that the subject of the post complies with the Upwork Community Guidelines. You may see that your post was edited by me, and this is because I had edited the subject. 

Hi Naguib,

I had to edit your post as it violated the Upwork Community Guidelines. When posting in the Community, please refrain from identifying users in an accusation of misconduct as this is not allowed. Let me know if you have further questions about the Community Guidelines. 

As for your issue with your freelancer, I'm sorry if you were disappointed by their review. Freelancers manage their own business, and they have the option of refusing work if they don't see it fit for them, or advantageous to their freelancing business. It seems that some things may have been 'lost in translation' and the freelancer misunderstood. I would recommend that you discuss this further with the freelancer so that you can resolve it amicably. Hopefully both you and the freelancer can part ways on a good note. 

~ Avery
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

All,

We had to edit and remove a number of posts on this thread as they were in violation of the Community Guidelines

The thread is now closed from further replies. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths