🐈
» Forums » Clients » Abusive freelancer
Page options
4ae84088
Community Member

Abusive freelancer

Is it possible to block or report a freelancer who gets abusive if not chosen?
7 REPLIES 7
LuiggiR

Hi Sally,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. You can block them through the message room by clicking their profile icon and selecting "Block [Freelancer's name]" if you don't have an active contract with them. It is also possible to report a freelancer who gets abusive. In the Upwork Message Center, you should see a "gear" icon to the left of the timestamp that you can click and be able to report the abusive message that way. Your report will be confidential and will go to the team's queue for them to review it. You can check this help article to learn more. 

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
mags1212
Community Member

Flagging and message center do not work. I have an abusive, aggressive, and blackmailing freelancer. I have already closed the contract but nobody from Upwork is contactable. I don't think it's fair how I was treated by a freelancer and how badly my work was delivered and this case should be looked at. I am a client and have spent thousands with Upwork but there is no customer service for clients at all in Upwork. This is the only time I need your support and I get nothing, all you do is protect freelancers.

re: "Flagging and message center do not work. I have an abusive, aggressive, and blackmailing freelancer. I have already closed the contract but nobody from Upwork is contactable. I don't think it's fair how I was treated by a freelancer and how badly my work was delivered and this case should be looked at. I am a client and have spent thousands with Upwork but there is no customer service for clients at all in Upwork. This is the only time I need your support and I get nothing, all you do is protect freelancers."

Magdalena:
I am sorry if you were disapponted by your experience with Upwork Customer Support.

I believe everything you said about your experience.

For any clients reading this thread, it may seem like trying to contact Upwork Customer Support is difficult or even if you do so, they won't end up managing your project for you or doing what you want.

Okay...

But I have good news for you:

You have all the tools you need at your fingertips!

You certainly may use the "Flag as inappropriate" link button available on every freelancer's profile page. But you don't need to rely on that!

When you contact Upwork Support to report a freelancer or flag a freelancer's profile, that is YOU BEING NICE. That is you trying to HELP OTHER PEOPLE. That has nothing to do with you achieving your own goals.

In order to put yourself first and accomplish YOUR goals...

You can block freelancers on your own.

You can fire freelancers on your own.

You can decide who to hire on your own.

There are also many things that a client can do directly without firing or blocking a freelancer. For example, if a freelancer repeatedly uses the word "cat", but a client prefers the "feline," then the client can simply ask the freelancer to use the proper word. Most types of "bad freelancer behavior" can be handled with communication, don't require more drastic action, and certainly don't require help from Upwork Customer Support.

If a client has questions about what to do about inappropriate freelancer behavior or freelancers who have done poor quality work... Rest assured that YOU have the power to handle these situations directly. If you have any questions at all, feel free to post a question here in the Community Forum.

Using the "Flag as inappropriate" link button to report bad freelancer behavior does "work" as intended, and it is an effective way to report certain types of bad freelancer behavior, particularly ToS violations.

But this tool doesn't necessarily work in precisely the same way that Magdalena may have hoped that it works.

For one thing, Upwork does not report back to you the results of your flagging action. They handle investigation and penalizing freelancers internally. Sometimes it takes a few days or weeks for the flagging action to achieve the end results. And it is important to understand that "Flag as inappropriate..." can't be used to manage your projects; this is used to help other clients, not yourself.

Hi Magdalena,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with this freelancer. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the contract you are referring to? I will be sure to look into your report and escalate it accordingly.

~ Nikola
Upwork
mags1212
Community Member

Hi Nicola, 

I have PM to you, thanks

Hi Mags,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened with the freelancer. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths