Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accounting for Freelancer payments

3931c6e1
Stu M Member Since: Sep 6, 2016
1 of 4

Hi 

I recently used Upwork for the first time and as someone who manages their Accounts in the Accounting Software Xero, I was wondering how clients are recording these transactions for their Bookkeeping, if as a client Im not recording this as an employee, is it a Purchase? or an Expense? if so what type of Expense is this?

Thanx

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 4

I would think it would fall under "expense" or "cost of doing business", or in the case of say, a logo or a website or a brochure, etc., it would fall under "marketing".

But I flunked bookkeeping in high school, so what do I know? 🙂

Well, I should add that I'm a freelancer and not a client - so hopefully someone else with  better knowledge than I will come along.

3931c6e1
Stu M Member Since: Sep 6, 2016
3 of 4

I suppose its important to mention my business is Web Design and I'm paying a Freelancer to do Web Design for another client, so In this case it wouldn't be regarding as Marketing. I think since its a core part of my business, I'm leaning towards it being a Purchase rather than an Expense, but unsure.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
4 of 4

Stu, the best idea would really be to discuss this with a qualified accountant in your country. Even if you do your own accounts, you really want to make sure that you get them right.

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS